I have a brand new bike...

Taff

Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2011
Wrexham
Today I picked up my BH Emotion Neo Cross.
Here it is. :D
My Bike.jpg

Rode back from the bike shop. Here's the route:
Cyclemeter - Cycle - Apr 29, 2013, 4:37 PM

Battery on 2 bars and just down to 1 bar on getting home 12.85 miles later.
I didn't use the highest setting and only used the 2nd highest on 2-3 occasions.
Mainly alternated between Eco and Off. Strong headwind here and there.
Lovely looking bike - lovely ride - lovely torque sensor - lovely jubbly.
The ascent was 430ft and descent 630ft and average speed was 17.08mph - which is a lot higher than normal. I didn't push it but the bike rode well and I could bowl along on the flat quite nicely. I don't want to go faster but further and not struggle up the hills in granny gear as I do now.
When I have ridden this a few times and everything is bedded in I will give a fuller review. :cool:

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Nice.

First impressions are important, so it looks like you are well set.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
Nice bikes those. Look forward to full review. Not heard of many people disappointed with a Neo. :) Hitting some decent speeds there too.

Taff

Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2011
Wrexham
Update 1

It is incredibly poor of manufacturers/suppliers who don't seem seem able marry their efforts in describing their bikes; so that the most up to date details are shown!

On the BH website it says: Regeneration - YES; the importer MAXTRACK says no - I couldn't detect any.
(I was just as old as when I started the ride lol)

BH Website shows cassette as 13-34, importer MAXTRACK say it is 11-32.
On the bike it is 11-32.
IMG_0535.jpg

I couldn't find the chainring sizes; according to the website the crankset is Shimano Alivio M431 - for some reason I had in my mind this was 42-32-22.
According to the blurb with the bike it is either Shimano Alivio FC-M410 or FC-M411. From the web it appears to be Shimano Alivio FC-M411 with 48-38-28 size rings.
IMG_0536.jpg

So, what does this gearing mean for me.
Well I've got a bigger Chainring (sounds better than ring) 48 as opposed to my MTB which is 42. The smallest sprocket is 11 - same as my MTB. This means that on 48-11 when I'm on the flat I can bowl along at an even faster speed - also bigger wheels and narrower tyres will help.

Biggest sprocket is 32 which is 2 higher than my MTB; smallest chainring is 28 as opposed to 22 on my MTB; so this will be marginally harder climbing but hey that's why I've got a pedelec. ;)

Too busy with my other hobbies to go out today but tomorrow hopefully.

PS If any of the above should mislead you into thinking I know what I'm talking about then I apologise. It's mostly Double Dutch to me.

Last edited:

50 Hertz

Pedelecer
Mar 6, 2013
A nice looking bike. I hope that it turns out to be all that you are expecting and have many miles of enjoyable cycling.

D

Deleted member 4366

On the BH website it says: Regeneration - YES; the importer MAXTRACK says no - I couldn't detect any.
The answer is yes and no. When you cut the throttle, it takes a couple of seconds for the motor to slow down. During this time it generates a minuscule amount of charge. The amount is so small that you can say that it's effectively zero.

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Well chosen, Taff:

The BH range was one of the most exciting at Eden - Everyone that rode them raved about the sporty ride.

I belted the Extrem up the hill a few times, in different gears & it flew.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
I belted the Extrem up the hill a few times, in different gears & it flew.
It did seem very keenly tuned ... and was really nice to get that performance off a PAS system. I did wonder whether that 350W motor on it was actually restricted to be completely honest. It's a bike I'd happily take for a long test ride.

Taff

Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2011
Wrexham
The answer is yes and no. When you cut the throttle, it takes a couple of seconds for the motor to slow down. During this time it generates a minuscule amount of charge. The amount is so small that you can say that it's effectively zero.
I think that may have been the case on earlier models but 2013 = no regen.

D

Deleted member 4366

I think that may have been the case on earlier models but 2013 = no regen.
You didn't get my point. All hub-motors regenerate a minuscule amount of charge (or more). For motors with clutches, like the Neo, it's not enough to do anything with.

As long as the motor's turning with or without power, it works as a generator. All the time it's turning (the motor not the wheel) with no power to it, it's regenerating. If you connect a 2-way wattmeter to your bike, like a Speedict, you can clearly see this effect.

Taff

Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2011
Wrexham
Update 3
Today I rode a route that I did last week on the MTB.
I started with a fully charged battery and the conditions were pretty similar.
Route just under 14miles with 500ft of ascent. There are 4 nasty bits which I can get up unassisted but slowly and sweatily.

The whole route took 80 minutes on the MTB but only 59 minutes on the Neo. Wow.
I rode mostly unassisted but used Eco for the 4 nasty bits and 1 long drag. As a result of this frugality, all the bars were still showing full on the meter - which is great news.
Eco is the lowest setting and gives 70% assist and I had no problems at all.

I don't want to tempt fate but at this moment I am overjoyed with my choice.

As an afterthought, I went to Lidl for some compost. £40odd later I had my compost and a pile of Lidl cycling gear.

Can't wait to get out again and try a steeper/longer run - I need to find what I can do on a full battery.
:eek:

Taff

Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2011
Wrexham
Update 4
I've been itching to get out since last week's ride but a mountain hike in Snowdonia got in the way.
Today I rode a route that I bought the bike for.
I didn't charge the battery but left it as it was after last week's ride.

With my new cycling rucksack on my back I set off.
Several steep sections that required a lot of effort from me and finally I was onto the Llandegla Moors, at some stage the battery had dropped to 4 bars. Lovely ride along and I stopped for another drink at the roundabout above the Horseshoe Path.

I set off and rolled down to the bottom of the valley, battery was showing 3 bars and I had just started the climb up to the Ponderosa when DISASTER struck. Battery showing empty and then computer showed the number 13 and that was it. Unlucky for me! I took off the computer and retried - nope. Took of the battery and replaced - nope. Now what to do?

I'm 12.6 miles into a 32 mile route. I could go back but I decide to go on in order to go over the Horseshoe Pass. I struggled manfully (wimpishly) in the bottom gear and stopped for a drink of water at the Ponderosa. Hurtled down the Horseshoe Pass into Llangollen and found the canal tow path for a lovely leisurely few miles. Delightful.

Few more sweaty and hard working miles and I made it home.
Ride Link: Cyclemeter - Mountain Bike - May 7, 2013, 10:59 AM

What does number 13 mean - a bloody connections issue. Fiddled about with the cables and battery is showing 4 bars.... all my hard work.

Assuming this 'mishap' is a one off; what are my current thoughts?
Bike is incredibly silent w/o battery on and very, very quiet with it. Having to ride it unpowered was a great confidence booster as I know now that I can cope without power should I run out.
Total ascent was 2717 ft. the majority done with battery.

I think I will charge the battery and start again to explore the range... but not for a few days. :cool:

IMG_3709.jpgIMG_3710.jpgIMG_3712.jpgIMG_3713.jpgIMG_3714.jpgIMG_3715.jpgIMG_3716.jpgIMG_3717.jpgIMG_3718.jpgIMG_3719.jpgIMG_3720.jpgIMG_3721.jpgIMG_3722.jpgIMG_3723.jpgIMG_3724.jpg

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
Today I picked up my BH Emotion Neo Cross.
Here it is. :D
View attachment 5585

Rode back from the bike shop. Here's the route:
Cyclemeter - Cycle - Apr 29, 2013, 4:37 PM

Battery on 2 bars and just down to 1 bar on getting home 12.85 miles later.
I didn't use the highest setting and only used the 2nd highest on 2-3 occasions.
Mainly alternated between Eco and Off. Strong headwind here and there.
Lovely looking bike - lovely ride - lovely torque sensor - lovely jubbly.
The ascent was 430ft and descent 630ft and average speed was 17.08mph - which is a lot higher than normal. I didn't push it but the bike rode well and I could bowl along on the flat quite nicely. I don't want to go faster but further and not struggle up the hills in granny gear as I do now.
When I have ridden this a few times and everything is bedded in I will give a fuller review. :cool:
Hi Taff,

Your bike looks sound mate,(wish I'd had one) even thoughh I am puzzled into why throttle control was never fitted to this bike. I'm quite sure that people would also like that as an added feature.

Mountainsport.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
That's one heck of a route to have your bike develop a fault on ! Full credit for finishing it and some lovely scenery. 2,347 calories burned ... LOL. That's more than an average man's rations for a day - I'd waste away in no time ! That's a geared motor so drag is likely not a problem - but nothing would persuade me to want to ride those hills unassisted !

I hope you're having a blooming big dinner tonight :)

martin@onbike

Official Trade Member
Update 4
I've been itching to get out since last week's ride but a mountain hike in Snowdonia got in the way.
Today I rode a route that I bought the bike for.
I didn't charge the battery but left it as it was after last week's ride.

With my new cycling rucksack on my back I set off.
Several steep sections that required a lot of effort from me and finally I was onto the Llandegla Moors, at some stage the battery had dropped to 4 bars. Lovely ride along and I stopped for another drink at the roundabout above the Horseshoe Path.

I set off and rolled down to the bottom of the valley, battery was showing 3 bars and I had just started the climb up to the Ponderosa when DISASTER struck. Battery showing empty and then computer showed the number 13 and that was it. Unlucky for me! I took off the computer and retried - nope. Took of the battery and replaced - nope. Now what to do?

I'm 12.6 miles into a 32 mile route. I could go back but I decide to go on in order to go over the Horseshoe Pass. I struggled manfully (wimpishly) in the bottom gear and stopped for a drink of water at the Ponderosa. Hurtled down the Horseshoe Pass into Llangollen and found the canal tow path for a lovely leisurely few miles. Delightful.

Few more sweaty and hard working miles and I made it home.
Ride Link: Cyclemeter - Mountain Bike - May 7, 2013, 10:59 AM

What does number 13 mean - a bloody connections issue. Fiddled about with the cables and battery is showing 4 bars.... all my hard work.

Assuming this 'mishap' is a one off; what are my current thoughts?
Bike is incredibly silent w/o battery on and very, very quiet with it. Having to ride it unpowered was a great confidence booster as I know now that I can cope without power should I run out.
Total ascent was 2717 ft. the majority done with battery.

I think I will charge the battery and start again to explore the range... but not for a few days. :cool:

View attachment 5683View attachment 5684View attachment 5685View attachment 5686View attachment 5687View attachment 5688View attachment 5689View attachment 5690View attachment 5691View attachment 5692View attachment 5693View attachment 5694View attachment 5695View attachment 5696View attachment 5697
It's probably the screw together connector from the console to controller,they often need finger tightening upon arrival....just below the handlebars, the silver "gnurled" finger screws...don't overdo it though!

Taff

Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2011
Wrexham
It's probably the screw together connector from the console to controller,they often need finger tightening upon arrival....just below the handlebars, the silver "gnurled" finger screws...don't overdo it though!
Yes I think so. I've tightened them up they were definitely a little loose. Hope that's the end of that.
Cheers.