I need a cheap trailer ... for a Brompton

PhilipL

Just Joined
Nov 13, 2022
Brompton owners seem to be flush with cash and spend it on high worth trailers. I live in the middle of a city, put an e-hub on a Brompton and need a way to carry fuel cans from Morrisons to my boat and just want to carry those full cannisters about 1/2 mile every now and then. So cheap and cheerful and kept out in the weather at the boat yard is what I want.

I am looking at the Homcom but not sure which one to use - there is a version which attaches near the back wheel and one on the seat shaft.

Any suggestions and advice welcome.

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
For half a mile and a few kg of load don't over think it!

Plenty of pictures online of Bromptons with trailers attached to the rear axle, which is by far the most common arrangement, so perhaps look for cheapest secondhand kids trailer locally.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
My Homcom trailer has quite large rust spots after only a year, and it hasn't been in the rain much at all... it'd disintegrate being left outside in all weathers, the question is when? I'd guesstimate about two to three years (salt of course would accelerate the process) near the sea, before those fuel cans could start to pose a hazard on the road, as the Homcom falls apart. Therefore I think @matthewslack 's suggestion is a good one, provided the frame isn't steel. Plus a cheap secondhand kid's trailer grubbified by everything nature, man and beast have to throw at it, is less likely to get half-inched. Used pet trailers are even cheaper.

The version I use is connected to the rear axle, which seems more sensible for heavier loads:

Last edited:
Reactions: Bikes4two

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
I used a homcom dog trailer until I came across a lighter one on ebay. I little bit heavy but the motor coped no problem. it's available cheap if you happen to be on the rochdale canal.

Sarge1892

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 5, 2023
whilst not a requirement of course and in a car you wouldn't do this for your bike it might be worth throwing a little sign on the back warning cars of the load your carrying ie fuel it sounds silly yes I know but car drivers can be nob heads at the best of times so anything that disuades them from there nobbery when your transporting fuel is a plus

only thing id say is keep your towing capacity low as with your smaller wheels and what I'm guessing are rim brakes you might not have the oomph to slow down when you've got 10kg pushing you from behind

ask me how I know that pulling 30kg of b&q paint going down a hill is a fun time

chris667

Pedelecer
Apr 7, 2009
For many years (long before electric bikes were a thing!) I lived on a boat.

I had a trailer. It was called Helena. Helena Handcart.

Was converted from an old Trek kiddie trailer.

It took up a huge amount of room on a boat, and was a PITA on towpaths. I regularly carried cassette toilets and gas bottles on it. I once carried an extremely gorgeous woman called Jules - she wanted to try surfing. I still go a bit gooey thinking about her.

I think I would look for a kiddle trailer and convert rather than an ultra-cheap trailer.

Related Articles

Advertisers