I think my Kalkhoff Pro Connect is Knackered.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I knew that I shouldn't have opened my mouth about how reliable my 2008 26 Volt Panasonic Kalkhoff Pro Connect has been. I knew that I was inviting disaster, but still I went ahead. What a fool I am.

After nearly 10 years of near faultless service and tens of thousands of trouble free miles, it breaks within 24 hours of publicly singing its praises.

This is probably one for flecc:

When I put the battery on the bike, the LEDs on the handlebar controller immediately light up. This should not happen until the On Switch is pressed. All three battery status LEDs come on, which indicates a full battery, which is correct because the battery is fully charged. The Mode status LED defaults to High (usually this defaults to Medium on power up) and pressing the Mode Button has no effect, it's stuck in High. The Power On / Off buttonhas no effect either, it's just frozen in High Mode with all three battery status LEDs on.

When I ride the bike, it delivers no power.

This happened after I cleaned the bike, which I have done countless times. However of this occasion, I had to break off due to a heavy period of rain which lasted for about an hour. I left the bike out in the rain, but water is nothing new to this bike. The only slight variance is that the battery was not fitted, so the connector pins were exposed.

Any ideas? Motor or handlebar controller? Water in the connectors / plugs which sit on top of the motor? I've tried drying with gentle heat, but not stripped all the connections down yet. Help / suggestions appreciated.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Water /moisture in the led handle bar controller causing a short or damp some where shorting the 5v line ?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
You could try wrapping the led in a small plastic bag and rice to see if it will draw out any moisture, other wise it's as d8veh has said eventually things will dry out.

oriteroom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2008
My wife's 2008 ProConnect (on 15k miles - these are great bikes) suffers if/when ANY water gets into the controller. Only happened a couple of times a couple of years ago, since when, at the first sign of rain we put a plastic bag (freezer type) over it held in place with elastic band. Works a treat. Thought about replacement, but only controller I've found is from Pro Golla Cycling in Germany, but they only have left the Agattu type, which doesn't have the inbuilt light switch. After her's had water ingress, it dried out and worked again after a day or so. Happened I reckon about four times, when we got caught out. When it fails, twas not like your experience, it just goes 'dead', with no indicator lights or effects from pressing the buttons. Keep us up to date on how you get on.

Mike

• Informative
Reactions: tillson and Nealh

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
My wife's 2008 ProConnect (on 15k miles - these are great bikes) suffers if/when ANY water gets into the controller. Only happened a couple of times a couple of years ago, since when, at the first sign of rain we put a plastic bag (freezer type) over it held in place with elastic band. Works a treat. Thought about replacement, but only controller I've found is from Pro Golla Cycling in Germany, but they only have left the Agattu type, which doesn't have the inbuilt light switch. After her's had water ingress, it dried out and worked again after a day or so. Happened I reckon about four times, when we got caught out. When it fails, twas not like your experience, it just goes 'dead', with no indicator lights or effects from pressing the buttons. Keep us up to date on how you get on.

Mike
I'm away from home on a course for a couple of weeks, so won't be able to try the bike. I'm hoping you are correct and when I get back it will be working again. I will let you know the outcome.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I've just had chance to power up the Pro Connect after it has stood in my garage for a couple of weeks. Good news, the advice on here was correct, it seems to have been water getting into something, ether the handlebar switch or a connector. It's working fine.

I very nearly bought a second hand, 2011 vintage, Pro Connect Disc 8 after convincing myself the my bike had died. I reckon that would be pretty close to being the perfect utility EBike.

Thanks for the help.

Reactions: oriteroom and flecc

oriteroom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2008
Glad to hear it dried out and works again, good to keep the best of Kalkhoffs on the road. Just keep a freezer bag and elastic band handy if rain threatens if it was the controller, and not coz the battery was out of the bike in the rain.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If the main wire loom from the controller/led has a water proof type connector at all have a look in both parts to see if there has been any moisture ingress, green staining from any pins will be a give away.

Reactions: tillson
D

Deleted member 4366

The connectors are tucked away in the motor. You have to remove the cranks and covers to get at them - possibly even the motor.

oriteroom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2008
On the Panasonic drives, the connector blocks are tucked away inside a tube in the motor casing behind the black cover. The sum total of waterproofing, is the plastic bag/tube they are taped up in. Had to get in there years ago to add plug in a walk assist button. Not wanting to tempt fate as Tillson did at the start of this thread, but haven't had any problem with water down there. Mind you, don't do too much by way of muddy puddle rides.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
On the Panasonic drives, the connector blocks are tucked away inside a tube in the motor casing behind the black cover. The sum total of waterproofing, is the plastic bag/tube they are taped up in. Had to get in there years ago to add plug in a walk assist button. Not wanting to tempt fate as Tillson did at the start of this thread, but haven't had any problem with water down there. Mind you, don't do too much by way of muddy puddle rides.
I've ridden one through flood water that was right over the crankcase, with no trouble then or subsequently.

When these have suffered a damp problem it mainly appears to be the handlebar unit that's got damp into it. That makes sense, the lower connectors are well shielded while the handlebar unit is very exposed to the rain.

• Agree
Reactions: oriteroom

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
On the Panasonic drives, the connector blocks are tucked away inside a tube in the motor casing behind the black cover. The sum total of waterproofing, is the plastic bag/tube they are taped up in.
The connectors on my bike, like yours, sit inside a plastic bag, but the bag is then inserted into a frame tube which runs laterally across the bike. The ends of the tube are covered by the motor cowling. I've had all of that to bits a few times, most recently about 3 or 4 years ago when I fitted a new motor.
Upon close inspection this evening, I can see a connector has slipped out of the bag and is hanging freely behind the cowling. That will be the favourite for the problem I had.

There is a new 26 Volt Panasonic motor on eBay from a German seller for about £250. I keep thinking that I should buy it as a spare, but it's quite a bit of cash to have sat on a shelf collecting dust. I know that if or when my motor does die, I'll wish that I had bought it. Decisions, decisions!!

Reactions: oriteroom