I wonder how this happened?

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I spotted some scrape marks on one of my Bosch batteries but can't work out how they happened.

Happily, the integrity of the case has not been affected, so I'm just curious.

The marks must have happened yesterday on a 100 mile train assisted ride I did from Berwick to Newcastle.

Nothing happened to the battery on the ride.

Which only leaves the train journey.

The bike travelled in the guards van, strapped to a Sheffield stand.

All I can think is the strap may have rubbed during the journey.

But it was only a webbing one with a plastic buckle, so I doubt is was hard or sharp enough to make the marks.

In any case, some of the marked area would have been covered by the large downtube on the Rose.

Perhaps the marks happened when I was using the other battery, and this one was in my pannier.

But again that makes no sense, because the only other thing in the pannier was a plastic bottle.

Battery scratch.jpg

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
A rat in your pannier?

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012

JamesW

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 17, 2014
Are you sure that's not a friction burn from a wheel, or a tool mark from someone trying too remove it that you've only just seen? The direction o the wear lines (along the battery) doesn't seem consistent with a webbing strap which should have rubbed the other way. (IMO) unless that's a crushed corner from the strap being too tight and the damage extends inwards due to the type of plastic used fort the case?