Wisper Iainchef

Iainchef

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 31, 2020
First post be gentle!
Any info on a WISPER 705se Stealth 26” wheel e-bike for a first time buyer. Any comments greatly appreciated.
I live in reasonably hilly area with my dodgy knee what would you recommend
Cadence sensor or torque sensor
Puncture proof tyres /good or bad
Any upgrades can be recommended.
Cheers
Iainchef

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I think the Wisper Torque has a full range throttle now, which works as long as you pedal. That means that you can air pedal if you want while using the throttle to control the power/speed. I haven't tried one, but it sounds like the best of both worlds. Check with the dealer whether what I'm saying is right.

Personally, I'd be happy with a cadence sensor. They work and they're cheaper.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
As vfr400 says on sensors.

Puncture proof tyres. Marathon Plus really good for regular commute and leisure rides. You will have a slightly harder ride and a tad more rolling resistance than some (less than with knobbly tyres though). Sideways traction on mud not that good, fine for easy off road but not if you want more serious muddy off road.

digger brown

Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2020
north lanarkshire scotland
As vfr400 says on sensors.

Puncture proof tyres. Marathon Plus really good for regular commute and leisure rides. You will have a slightly harder ride and a tad more rolling resistance than some (less than with knobbly tyres though). Sideways traction on mud not that good, fine for easy off road but not if you want more serious muddy off road.

Phil Dryden

Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2018
Leicester
First post be gentle!
Any info on a WISPER 705se Stealth 26” wheel e-bike for a first time buyer. Any comments greatly appreciated.
I live in reasonably hilly area with my dodgy knee what would you recommend
Cadence sensor or torque sensor
Puncture proof tyres /good or bad
Any upgrades can be recommended.
Cheers
Iainchef
I would suggest your first decision has to be cadence or torque sensor, and this will depend on how bad your knee is. If it is painful on a permanent basis whenever pressure is applied to the pedals then as stated above yoy will probably be better with a cadence sensor, which allows you to 'ghost pedal' and as long as the pedals are turning the motor will propel you along. If the knee is not as severely injured as that and can usefully perform proper pedalling for a good number of miles, then a combination of cadence and torque sensors might be ideal. This will enable you to pedal normally with assistance proportional to the effort you are putting in, which feels more natural but with added oomph. The beauty of an additional cadence sensor is that should you meet a bad headwind or a severe hill you can twist the throttle and the cadence sensor will take over to drive the bike along as long as you ghost pedal. I have a Wisper 905 Torque which has both and although I have never needed to use the cadence sensor, I can imagine it could be a great help. Give Wisper a ring to check your model out. On their website the 705 is available with a torque pack upgrade available as an option. Re tyres, again Marathon Plus are excellent for puncture resistance, however my 905 came with Kenda tyres and I have put off replacing them as I've done 1300 puncture free miles on roads/cycle paths, and have no complaints about them. One improvement I made was to replace the saddle with a wide comfy one for £20, and install a Suntour NCX suspension seatpost at £50. The ride is now incredibly comfortable. Hope this helps.

• Agree
Reactions: sjpt

digger brown

Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2020
if youv,e got a problem with your knee wisper bikes not great for hills ive got 905 torque and youve got work hard to get up some hills another thing make sure your near a dealle
I would suggest your first decision has to be cadence or torque sensor, and this will depend on how bad your knee is. If it is painful on a permanent basis whenever pressure is applied to the pedals then as stated above yoy will probably be better with a cadence sensor, which allows you to 'ghost pedal' and as long as the pedals are turning the motor will propel you along. If the knee is not as severely injured as that and can usefully perform proper pedalling for a good number of miles, then a combination of cadence and torque sensors might be ideal. This will enable you to pedal normally with assistance proportional to the effort you are putting in, which feels more natural but with added oomph. The beauty of an additional cadence sensor is that should you meet a bad headwind or a severe hill you can twist the throttle and the cadence sensor will take over to drive the bike along as long as you ghost pedal. I have a Wisper 905 Torque which has both and although I have never needed to use the cadence sensor, I can imagine it could be a great help. Give Wisper a ring to check your model out. On their website the 705 is available with a torque pack upgrade available as an option. Re tyres, again Marathon Plus are excellent for puncture resistance, however my 905 came with Kenda tyres and I have put off replacing them as I've done 1300 puncture free miles on roads/cycle paths, and have no complaints about them. One improvement I made was to replace the saddle with a wide comfy one for £20, and install a Suntour NCX suspension seatpost at £50. The ride is now incredibly comfortable. Hope this helps.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
With Wisper one might want to go with the basic PAS sensing over the TS version if you can"t add the effort needed.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
tried throttle yesterday half way up hill gave in its not any better than torque
That's very strange, Digger. Can you give me some more details, privately if you prefer not to post personal info here. Have you checked your tyre pressures recently?

Please let me know...

1. The gradient of the hill in %
2. Your weight
3. Your fitness level
4. The age of the bike
5. The age of the battery

Please also send an image of the bike.

I will get this sorted for you.

Many thanks, David

01wellsd

Pedelecer
Apr 30, 2020
Bristol
My 705se is great up hills.
I have the version with the torque sensor and handle bar throttle.
It carries me (at 13 stone) up Bristol's 13.4% Park Street easily using the throttle and a low gear.
I'm not sure on the newer models, but if you put mine in PAS 5 it acts as a cadence sensor anyway.

I did a review on it a while back if that helps :)

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

digger brown

Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2020
went out today 8mile trip done some hills with throttle coming back going up small slope put throttle on powerfrom battery cut out stoped reset battery 2bars runs ok went about mile tryed throttle battery cut out reset again it seams to run ok on torque battery looks ok charged up when igot home