If it's not in stock...

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
There has been a lot of dissatisfaction voiced recently about bikes being advertised but not available.

It is not only 50 Cycles. I waited for about six months from announcement to the Wisper 905se becoming available. I feel sorry if there is anyone waiting for the step-through Wisper announced at the same time which has been on their web site but which I do not believe has yet hit the shores of Europe. Even more sorry for anyone who ordered a Djavelo or a Schwinn!

I sympathise with the consumers here as I hate waiting for things as much as anyone. I also have some sympathy for the dealer as they can not have imagined it being like this. However it is a fact of life that people do tend to be over-optimistic in predicting when things will become available. But actually it usually takes longer than was first thought due mainly to things happening rather than any attempt to mislead.

Of course there is one rule that I try to observe and which would prevent all of this:

If it's not in stock, don't order!

Frank

Footie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 16, 2007
Cornwall. PL27
Following the purchasing fiasco I had, when I purchased my bike over the Internet and found it had been discontinued (after I had paid for it) I learnt a valuable lesson.
Now if I see something that I want I phone or email them first to confirm it’s available to purchase. If the supplier fails to respond or takes ages to reply, I take it as a reflection of the way they do business – I move on and find another supplier. I won't be sucked into the “we can put it on back order” now, unless I am happy to wait …. and wait …. and wait.

The last "back-order" I agreed to, I had to wait 3 months for bits for my radio controled helicopter - no flying for 3 months :eek:

And should I be unlucky and the item I want can only be got from that slow responding supplier then I prepare myself for a lot of waiting :(

Django

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2007
With a high quality new model it does seem to be reasonable to secure one with a deposit. As an example, I reserved a Triumph motorcycle six months before it was delivered. If I hadn't done so, I would have missed out entirely as that year of production sold out almost before the first one left the factory.

If you wanted the new Ducati 1098RR, they didn't even start production until the order book was complete!

I suppose it depends upon how much you want one and whether you are prepared to wait for high quality.

Cheers,

Django

Footie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 16, 2007
Cornwall. PL27
.... As an example, I reserved a Triumph motorcycle six months before it was delivered. If I hadn't done so, I would have missed out entirely as that year of production sold out almost before the first one left the factory ....
My mate's Boss bought the last six Triumph's (straight off the production line) and they went straight into storage - what a terrible thing to do ;)

keithhazel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2007
i find that more then a terrible thing to do, i find that a mental and pathetic, a top class bike and to stop 6 other people who would loved to own and ride one when he didnt even intend to ride himself is in my book "shameful":mad:

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Delays in delivery

I get so excited about new models being launched and want to tell the world about them as soon as I have finalised them.

The problem is of course that they are being made on the other side of the world where pace is slower and deadlines are agreed but not always kept, add to that the necessity to "pop" down to Shanghai to check everything off at every stage of development and we have delays.

My business partner Doug Gosling has the same attitude as Frank but in reverse, "if we don't have it in stock, don't sell it!"

I supose they are right (grumble grumble) they spoil all my fun!! :D

Anyway they will be here in the Spring!

Best regards David