If you put 48V into a motor rather than 36V does rpm increase?

The Maestro

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2008
I was thinking of getting a 48V controller and battery for my brushless 3 phase motor currently running at 36V (people use them up to 72V). I was just wondering what the likely effect would be on rpm - does it increase or is it torque only that increases? Both would be nice :)

Tiberius

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 9, 2007
Somerset
The no load rpm will increase in proportion to the voltage, so your maximum speed will go up.
At any rpm you will be able to put more current in, and therefore get more torque - unless the controller limits the current.

Even if the controller limits the current, it is likely to be the battery current that it limits, so you will still get more power than you would at 36 V.

It all sounds like win, win. But you will use battery power faster and you may overheat the motor.

Nick

Jeremy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 25, 2007
Salisbury
I've run the same brushless motor and controller on both 36V and 48V on the same bike. What I found was that the low end torque seemed to stay pretty much the same for either voltage as far as I could tell, top motor-assist speed improved as expected and mid to top range torque also increased slightly (there was a noticeable improvement in throttle response when accelerating in the mid-range). Cruise speed current was less on 48V than on 36V, but there was a temptation to just cruise faster and so drain the battery more quickly, as Nick has mentioned!

The usual limit on controller upper voltage, at least for controllers in the 24V to 48V range, is the voltage rating of the main capacitor(s) across the supply. The other restriction is that some controllers have fixed low voltage cut off point for their set voltage, which means that some 48V controllers won't work at 36V, because the controller interprets 36V as a flat battery. This is the reason I have to run my Tongxin at 36V when 24V would be fine for my purposes, I think. The Tongxin controller cuts off at 29V and can't easily be adjusted as it's potted in resin.

If going over 48V, then controllers often need output stage FETs with a higher voltage rating and also occasionally need the internal voltage regulator modifying to accept the higher input voltage, in addition to changing the main capacitors for higher voltage ones. Most non-resin potted Chinese controllers are pretty easy to tweak for use on higher voltages and the current limit can usually be fairly easily adjusted as well, although the output FETs and size of the main capacitor(s) may need to be changed to cope with the greater current (the capacitors work hard when absorbing the turn off spike current and supplying the peak current each time a motor phase is commutated).

There are a few excellent threads on modifying and repairing various types of controller over on the ES Forum if you would like more information.

Jeremy

The Maestro

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2008
Thanks for the replies. I was planning on getting a different controller because mine gets quite hot even at 36V.

I think I am going to get addicted to tinkering with my e-bike :)