If you voted IN then here's a second chance for common sense

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
Are we going to have a new system of democracy in this country now, where if some dont like the way a vote went, they can ask for another one ?
I'm all for that, seeing as i never liked the outcome of the last two general elections. So maybe it'll apply to future ones.
Politicians lie and hide and the truth on general elections as well..... its not exactly anything new.

Mar 9, 2016
That's it. Deffo second referendum and a replay.
After all Sterling and Sturridge made same mistake as voters. Put crosses in wrong box.
Can we blame Brexit..or is it Woy..wot a load of tosh.

Last edited:
  • :D
Reactions: LeighPing

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
It has to be a leave campaigner at the helm,Boris or Gove....but you need another 330 MPs from all the parties to carry through the article 50 vote to trigger leaving.
As almost all Labour want to stay,the SNP want to stay and there is surely 100 plus Conservative MPs ,who will vote against article 50,even with the whip.
I just cannot see how article 50 will be voted through.
It will surely trigger a general election on the basis of trying to form a government that will support the leavers.
I wonder how many leave voters thought immigration would be under control within weeks?
KudosDave

• :D
Reactions: cookie and Croxden

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
Nicola Sturgeon has met the Irish president and a Gibraltar politician. I think Scotland is either joining Ireland or we're moving to the Mediterranean to join Gibraltar. If we get a referendum for it, I'm voting for the Med. It's about time Scotland got warm weather. Confused? Me? Probably.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
...and maybe then another, and another, etc etc.... ?

Maybe the voting process could then last for 5 years, bridging the gap between general elections.... :rolleyes:
How very Spanish of you...:rolleyes:

SteveRuss

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2015
Bristol, Uk
Are we going to have a new system of democracy in this country now, where if some dont like the way a vote went, they can ask for another one ?
A referendum which holds no legal requirement to act upon it and a full blown democratic election are two very different things. Cameron has always been able to put this to the MP's to decide at this stage. It's always been that way. The MP's on the whole are majority in. It was hardly designed as a true democratic tool.

The lies and deceit during this campaign were repulsive from both sides. The fact that 16 year olds and up didn't get a vote (the reason cited was that it would be too expensive for the government) is disgusting.

This referendum should never have happened. The result, fuelled by massive porky pies and false information, fear and racism. If you took the same referendum today, the result would be different. Much different. That's why I think we need another one now all the BS has sunk in to the ground, all the stupid people have come out of their trances and the reality of what is happening to the dismantling of the Uk is becoming a very sad reality.

Last edited:

SteveRuss

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2015
Bristol, Uk
It has to be a leave campaigner at the helm,Boris or Gove....but you need another 330 MPs from all the parties to carry through the article 50 vote to trigger leaving.
As almost all Labour want to stay,the SNP want to stay and there is surely 100 plus Conservative MPs ,who will vote against article 50,even with the whip.
I just cannot see how article 50 will be voted through.
It will surely trigger a general election on the basis of trying to form a government that will support the leavers.
I wonder how many leave voters thought immigration would be under control within weeks?
KudosDave
Finally some signs common sense arrives. I'll be interested in how that plays out.

Too many people think that this was some sort of final election where however close the result was (or however much the campaigns were based on pure lies and racist rallying) that it was something to be acted on immediately after the result, as if the British people command it to happen by way of law. It was a referendum to learn the will of the people on a given subject. That was it..

I don't actually believe that British people in their right mind would vote for not only us leaving the EU immediately but to the dismantling of the Uk and then to accept an unelected hard right wing corporate PM into power, but that's where we are. Sad

Mar 9, 2016
Time will tell exactly what constitutional power referendum had, but whatever , having a second would be ridiculous.
Make your minds up, are you asking for another referendum or saying referendums should not form part of democratic process. You cant claim both, well you can, but to do so is contradictory.
As for claiming you cant believe people in their right minds would vote to leave, they just did ! It wasn't an opinion poll.
I think leave would be stronger in an antidemocratic pointless second referendum.
" I cant believe England just lost to Iceland,must have been a nightmare"

And anyone who suggests a government would go against a democratically arrived at referendum with a 72% turn out does not understand the slim margins that got the government in power in first place, but yes in these shambolic times it might happen, bringing in spectre of hung parliament,Corbyn ( eurosceptic if he,s honest)) or who knows what .
This process is damaging country far more than brexit ever could.

Or perhaps as city financier put it " those crappy northern towns did this". You really think they,ve now changed their minds. I don't think so.

Last edited:
Reactions: cookie
Time will tell exactly what constitutional power referendum had, but whatever , having a second would be ridiculous.
Make your minds up, are you asking for another referendum or saying referendums should not form part of democratic process. You cant claim both, well you can, but to do so is contradictory.
As for claiming you cant believe people in their right minds would vote to leave, they just did ! It wasn't an opinion poll.
I think leave would be stronger in an antidemocratic pointless second referendum.
time won't tell. you can't make something constitutionally powerful that isn't by just waiting. If its acted upon, it'll be because of a fear of seeming to ignore half the population... but guess what, either way they'll be ignoring half the population won't they.

Read this yesterday and it was written by someone how knows their stuff.

---------

A thing I wrote last night clearing up some misconceptions re referenda and democracy. Some people have asked I repost here so they can share more easily.

Please note- I am well aware there are some serious oversimplifications, minor semantic inaccuracies, and not enough citations. I wrote this at 11pm last night in 10-15 furious minutes, absolutely minimal proofing. This isn't a legal textbook. It is me trying to explain some things a little more to my friends, as briefly as possible.

----------

Referendums are extra-parliamentary measures that should be rarely called upon to perform an advisory role to the Government. They are opinion polls used to guide the Government, not force it to comply.
They're normally called in direct response to a new political/legal development or issue- eg a new treaty or crisis. This one was not triggered by any such catalysing event beyond poor leadership. Cameron hoped to placate the disenfranchised with a token show of 'democracy' to show we take the people's views very seriously here. The two problems are that 1) it backfired. He didn't realise the media would jump on it and a hungry electorate would respond so generously in kind, 2) when trying to demonstrate the strength of parliamentary democracy the last thing you do is use an extra-parliamentary measure. The very fact you are relying on something outside of the usual process of parliamentary democracy is like waving a big flag suggesting parliamentary democracy has failed.

One of the problems of calling this referendum despite no catalysing event is that this means there is no clear question to answer. You may say 'well, it's leave or stay. Surely that's clear enough?' But it isn't. It's far too broad for the blunt swirling tides of public opinion. If it was 'do we ratify Treaty A?' you can rely on the treaty's articles and go through logically. There is a focus. People will make reasoned judgments. We come to an educated (and normally significant majority) conclusion. That hasn't happened here. No clear question... So the campaigns have derailed and gone off into all sorts of bizarre areas. Cue misinformation, a lack of facts, lack of focus, confusion, ire, fear etc. That's a key reason why we've got to this point.

The next point is 'democracy'. It has a complex definition, with many different layers and meanings. This campaign has largely chosen to use the very basic simple majority idea of 'democracy' eg voice of the people. Everyone has a say. All voices valid. Which is true. But democracy has many levels, and they vary between situations and motivations.
Our democracy (broad term) chooses to afford this democratic privilege by universal suffrage. Men and women voting. But not people under 18. Why? Isn't that undemocratic? Why shouldn't they have a say? We also deny the vote to those with serious mental health issues. And those serving a prison sentence. Why? Do they not deserve a voice? Many have paid their taxes in the past? Are they not a product of our society?

We make decisions on 'democracy' and the levels of democracy that we accept for different things.
We accept a simple majority for simple things. Like 52:48 referendums which are not legally-binding and can easily be ignored (see French and Netherlands referenda 2005). That doesn't mean the vote isn't completely valid. It is. It's just that it has absolutely no legal force. Democratic force, yes, but only framed in the terms of reference as an advisory opinion poll. No more, no less.

The problems arise when people confuse this level of democratic intention with the level of democratic intention required for legal effect. If you wish to claim the referendum should be binding, you must also acknowledge the goalposts have moved and a greater standard of proof is required. With the rise in severity, a rise in standard is also deemed essential. Pop Idol, BGT, Bake Off, Referendum. Simple majority wins. More serious issues: greater % needed. Most serious issues- eg Death Penalty, unanimous vote required.

Making the referendum legally-binding means you need a democratic intention to match. Generally speaking, enshrined in much case law, statute and international treaty, any legal motion which effects constitutional change must generally seek to attain a 2/3 majority (please note- as a very very loose guide) to pass. The most relevant comparisons we could make here is when other Commonwealth nations (India, Australia, etc) have voted in the past to amend constitution they have required a supermajority to make constitutional changes. 2/3rd majority is one such common standard- as those voting 'for' are twice as big as those 'against'. (Further stuff on supermajorities here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supermajority)

This isn't a 'new' rule. It isn't changing the goalposts. It has been this way, in international law, for decades. It wasn't mentioned during the Brexit campaigns because the referendum is not a legal motion, and is not subject to this standard. If you try to claim the referendum is enforceable, though, well you play by the law (and democracy's) rules. It is unconscionable that just under 50% of the country be bound by the other 50. Which is why these standards exist. They're not arbitrary. They're not sour grapes. They are democracy in action, assuring the greater good for all by not remorselessly enslaving a disenfranchised minority to very serious repercussions without corresponding serious intention. 50% of the population can't see the point of women's toilets- so let's get ride of them, hey? Perfectly democratic. But also undemocratic. Different levels apply.

On the subject of the petition- it's largely irrelevant and a bit of a red herring. It calls for establishing a standard that already exists in international law, through accepted doctrine of precedent and international democratic norms. It calls for a debate in Parliament that you can bet your house was already going to happen (a nation almost equally divided on a huge constitutional issue- it would be absurd for them not to debate it). When it is debated in parliament it may be put to the vote. That would be democratic. The result would be binding, and have legal force. They represent us. They have followed legislative procedure and met legislative criteria. The previous referendum is irrelevant. It's an opinion poll. They heard.

Cameron said that if the Leave vote won he would invoke Article 50 of Treaty of Lisbon. This gives the EU formal notification that the UK intends to leave and opens a 2 year period for formal negotiations with the 27 member states to exit. This was undemocratic. It avoided parliamentary democracy (our MPs debating and acting in our interests). It also took the advisory opinion poll and placed it on an entirely unwarranted, undemocratic pedestal as somehow equal to a formal legal motion, without the entailing legal standards (suggested 2/3rd majority for constitutional changes, remember?). It was a political and legal gaffe almost on a par with calling the damn referendum in the first place. A joke. He went back on his word and resigned.
Despite Leave 'winning' no Art 50 declaration has been made. Why? Because to do so would be undemocratic, off the back of an opinion poll that it seems very few people realise is just largely symbolic. Like the petition being symbolic.

So should there be a 2nd referendum? No. Because they don't respect parliamentary democracy and have no legal effect whatsoever. Should there be a debate in Parliament? Yes. Because that is democracy in action. Will a 2/3 majority be needed? Yes. Because that is democracy. Is the 1st referendum valid? Absolutely. It is a fine testament to our democracy. Just not the democracy relevant in this situation.

SteveRuss

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2015
Bristol, Uk
I do believe that referendums should be part of the democratic process but I don't believe they should be taken as anything other than what they are. If they carry such a hefty weight such as the decision to stay or leave the EU, acting on the results should be considered very very carefully, unlike what is happening now it would seem. It was virtually a tied vote with many people now reportedly regretting voting for out (their own stupid faults) but it seems to be taken as a general election would. A sole legally binding decree by the British people. I don't agree with that. The youth were priced out of voting on their future. They should have a voice as well and that needs explaining as well, otherwise I personally consider the referendum void.

When you say that people in their right minds voted to leave, I don't believe everyone was in their right minds. We were all duped by false claims on finances, immigration (that good old racism vote) and the fear that everyones mortgages were going to go up and everyone was likely to be £4500 worse off if we leave. They should have been speculative but were sold to us as truths. The level of deceit was absorbed by many of the British people who I believe acted on those lies. So no, people were not in their right mind there again I think people that watch X-factor and eat at McDonalds are not in their right minds either :mad:

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Advertisers