I'm new here and new to pedelecs.

Jock

Just Joined
Sep 6, 2021
East Riding of Yorkshire
Hi everyone!

Just joined this forum and I'm very much looking for advice.

I live in an urban area which fortunately is quite flat. I currently have a conventional bicycle (an Apollo Highway) which I'm very happy with and have had for many years, but due to a move, I'm looking for something with a little more assistance.

I commonly do around 15 miles on a ride and I'd like to extend that distance. I had my first foray to a bike shop at the weekend, looking at ebikes and was shocked to find that even if I was going to spend over £1K on a bike, I couldn't take it for a test drive! Was it the particular shop I visited, or is this general policy?

I've also been looking at converting my existing bike to electric, but at the moment, due to injuries, I'm worried I might bite off more than I can chew!

Anyway, I'm hoping I can find some help and advice here as there certainly doesn't seem to be much available at local bicycle stores!

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Good luck finding a proper test ride. Many local bike shops don't allow any, and others just a couple of times round the (flat) car park. If you can get a sensible test ride anyway it means that buying online has many fewer disadvantages that it used to; and many online sellers (Woosh in particular https://wooshbikes.co.uk/) have customer service that is much better than most bike shops.

I don't know if they still do, Halford's pre covid allowed 1/2 hour rides out (our Halfords is conveniently close to a steepish hill), and some larger ones even 2 days by special arrangement. At least that gives you some idea of the main differences such as hub vs crank drive and torque vs cadence sensors. (If that's gibberish to you ask and you'll get plenty of answers).

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
There are a lot of perfectly adequate new ebikes on Ebay for between £600 and £1000. If you see one you like, post details so that we can tell you the good and bad points. Also E-bikesdirect,co.uk have a wide selection, and they offer good support after you purchase. Woosh are active on the forum. Their bikes are not bad and not too expensive.

It's better to get an ebike with disc brakes because of the higher average speed and higher mass. Your brakes might be adequate for your bike when un-assisted, but you'll probably find them lacking if you convert. Ut would be better to find another donor if you want to have a go at converting. You don't need anything expensive - just a triangular frame and disc brakes. Motor kits start from around £250, then another £250 to £350 for a battery. Anybody can fit a kit if they have some tools and a bit of common sense.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Hi everyone!

Just joined this forum and I'm very much looking for advice.

I live in an urban area which fortunately is quite flat. I currently have a conventional bicycle (an Apollo Highway) which I'm very happy with and have had for many years, but due to a move, I'm looking for something with a little more assistance.

I commonly do around 15 miles on a ride and I'd like to extend that distance. I had my first foray to a bike shop at the weekend, looking at ebikes and was shocked to find that even if I was going to spend over £1K on a bike, I couldn't take it for a test drive! Was it the particular shop I visited, or is this general policy?

I've also been looking at converting my existing bike to electric, but at the moment, due to injuries, I'm worried I might bite off more than I can chew!

Anyway, I'm hoping I can find some help and advice here as there certainly doesn't seem to be much available at local bicycle stores!
Possibly the shop. When I went to Lisburn ,outside Belfast, the shop keeper was delighted to let me have an extended go around a local car park. And at the time his prices were at a serious discount compared with mainline distributors. If you had say arrived by car, you could hand over the keys as security. Maybe i Just have an honest face!.

Jock

Just Joined
Sep 6, 2021
East Riding of Yorkshire
Possibly the shop. When I went to Lisburn ,outside Belfast, the shop keeper was delighted to let me have an extended go around a local car park. And at the time his prices were at a serious discount compared with mainline distributors. If you had say arrived by car, you could hand over the keys as security. Maybe i Just have an honest face!.
Thanks.

I'd say definitely the shop. - they did say that they had so little stock that they didn't have anything to spare for demo stock. Obviously they're selling so many they don't need to let people try before they buy!