Im so confused!

Gambit9606

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 7, 2021
So, it appears im not that technically minded, and with lockdown i cant go and try anything out - so im asking for help from y'all.

Im disabled and currently using an electronic scooter to get around, but as we all know the police are now clamping down on users and so im wary about using it for any great distance (ive already been stopped once)

So i figure i would do best with an ebike. ideally i want something thats going to do a lot of the work for me - but dont really have a massive amount of money to spend on a bike.

I have been given a fixed gear bike, so i could use a conversion kit - but honestly im just confused at what im looking for.

If you know of any good kits, or reliable bikes that will enable me to commute to work id really appreciate your help!

Gambit9606

Jan 7, 2021
Max Speed: 30-32km/h
That s gonna be illegal (just) , if you're worried about getting stopped.
i figure im less likely to be stopped for a bike than i am a scooter - and from what ive seen i can limit output if needed

PP100

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2020
Well in theory to be legal it has to have a label showing the wattage which must have a maximum power output of 250 watts - your link has 350.
But you can take a chance you won't attract attention.
But wait for more replies as to suitability etc for your condition.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
are you asking how im disabled? I have a chronic pain condition, CF and my knees and other joints like to dislocate
I can't see that a fixed gear bike is going to be good for you then. Get a normal cheap MTB catalogue type bike and fit a Woosh 48v rear hub-motor kit. There are a few 48v bikes on Ebay, but avoid any with the large direct drive motors in then.

Gambit9606

Jan 7, 2021
I can't see that a fixed gear bike is going to be good for you then. Get a normal cheap MTB catalogue type bike and fit a Woosh 48v rear hub-motor kit. There are a few 48v bikes on Ebay, but avoid any with the large direct drive motors in then.
Can i ask why the fixed gear wouldn't work?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If one has a small budget the Kudos Safari is under £600.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Can i ask why the fixed gear wouldn't work?
Because you need to help the motor on hills. You can only do that at normal pedal speed. When the bike slows down up hills, your pedal speed becomes so low that you can't provide any power. This is the problem with the Gtech bike. Light people and fit people can manage it, but not heavy peoploe or people with leg problems. It would be the worst thing for the condition you describe.

You can probably sell your fixie and get more than enough money for a cheap used catalogue bike, which are normally in the range £30 to £100, which is nothing compared with the cost of the electric kit. Get one with a conventional triangle frame. If you're legs are compromised, you need a 48v kit or ebike. Only Woosh sells a suitable one in the UK. There are some such kits on Aliexpres, otherwise you have to mix and match parts from Chinese suppliers. You need a geared motor, not a direct drive type.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and sjpt

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Safari is showing as £695 on the Kudos website.
Nealh may know of a cheaper way to buy it, or maybe it has just gone up.
Still very good value (though heavy even by ebike standards).

(I see it is quite a bit more £895 at https://www.e-bikesdirect.co.uk/brands/kudos/kudos-safari-electric-bike)
Mine was a typo 695 it is, for to non hilly areas it is a bargain still. Though a tad heavy weight compared to some modern ebikes they aren't overly bad with all the included kit. A kg for rear hubs gears, panniers, lock mudguards etc etc . And an extra 2 or 3 kg for the lifepo4 battery.

Gambit9606

Jan 7, 2021
Because you need to help the motor on hills. You can only do that at normal pedal speed. When the bike slows down up hills, your pedal speed becomes so low that you can't provide any power. This is the problem with the Gtech bike. Light people and fit people can manage it, but not heavy peoploe or people with leg problems. It would be the worst thing for the condition you describe.

You can probably sell your fixie and get more than enough money for a cheap used catalogue bike, which are normally in the range £30 to £100, which is nothing compared with the cost of the electric kit. Get one with a conventional triangle frame. If you're legs are compromised, you need a 48v kit or ebike. Only Woosh sells a suitable one in the UK. There are some such kits on Aliexpres, otherwise you have to mix and match parts from Chinese suppliers. You need a geared motor, not a direct drive type.
Thank you that really helps