Increase torque on a 250w

Soggy

Just Joined
Mar 19, 2022
Hi all, I'm new to the site and I'm wondering if there is any way of increasing the torque of a 250w mid drive motor so it can pull up hills better?

Cheers

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
what motor is it ?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
under 15mph a motor can pull way more wattage than 250w more like 800w-1000w when climbing steep hills.

my old bosch performance motor with 60nm of torque was good enough for everything i went up.

tho if you want to change power settings ect then baffang is the only option as bosch shimano Yamaha ect have locked software you can add a dongle to remove the speed limit but thats about it and wont give you any more power.

Soggy

Just Joined
Mar 19, 2022
under 15mph a motor can pull way more wattage than 250w more like 800w-1000w when climbing steep hills.

my old bosch performance motor with 60nm of torque was good enough for everything i went up.

tho if you want to change power settings ect then baffang is the only option as bosch shimano Yamaha ect have locked software you can add a dongle to remove the speed limit but thats about it and wont give you any more power.

Ah that's good news then, I'm not bothered about speed just pulling power, I have been thinking about a bafang too. Thanks for the info.

I was also thinking about how there is no law in the UK for putting two 250w motors on a bike, as far as i know it only states that you can not have a motor above 250w on your bike and can not go above 15.5 mph with pedal assist.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
my bike with a dongle can do 35mph on the flat if i spin the cranks at 120rpm but is geared for this speed.

if i want better climbing then i fit a smaller sprocket on the front so would go from 21t to 18t or run dual sprockets.

tho you cant do this with the new motors but you can fit a smaller chain ring to gear the bike how you like it.

Soggy

Just Joined
Mar 19, 2022
my bike with a dongle can do 35mph on the flat if i spin the cranks at 120rpm but is geared for this speed.

if i want better climbing then i fit a smaller sprocket on the front so would go from 21t to 18t or run dual sprockets.

tho you cant do this with the new motors but you can fit a smaller chain ring to gear the bike how you like it.
Wow very cool, it's a bit out of my abilities at the minute so I may have to ask you some advice on this at a later date. Thank you for the advice.