Inflating Battery

Jimo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2018
Fakenham, Norfolk
Hi guys, my bike is a Batribike Quartz, yesterday I had the battery top off to refit the lock previously removed to have new keys made, refitting the lock took about 20 minutes including a ‘tea break’, when I attempted to replace the box’s lid I was a bit horrified to see that the batteries had begun to swell to the extent that there was a gap of about 5/8” between mating surfaces, I persevered and got the lid back in place and screwed down - but what caused this I have no idea,
The battery had recently been top-up charged and was/is in good condition although having bought the bike in November 2018 I have not yet ridden it on road.
Thoughts wouldbe appreciated.
Maybe too that someone may recognise the build and shed some light on it,
The bike is a 2011 Batribike Quartz.

Jim0F2FD353-1611-479C-A38A-24EECF1EE319.jpeg

Last edited:

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
5/8"
Don`t like to hear that.

I wouldn't advise you to keep that in the house btw.

Can you see the cells?
I mean are they quality branded items, Sanyo/Panasonic etc?

Jimo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2018
Fakenham, Norfolk
Tommie, see the pic, you can’t see what cells they are without cutting the packages open but the bike was a one owner machine having had little use.

Jim

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Being a 2011 bike, if the battery is original, it is most likely to be made up of pouch cells which can often puff up with age, sometimes to an alarming degree. The swelling is held back by the casing, but, opening the case has allowed expansion to take place. Unfortunately, this normally means the cells are near end of life. Get out on the bike if you can and see how the battery performs, it may not get you far.

• Agree
Reactions: Fordulike

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Once pouch cells swell they have or are braking down, it is sign of higher cell internal resistance (IR) and means voltage will sag heavily and they are less stable, range usually suffers. The swelling is polymer gases reacting in side.
Time to replace a either go for old heavy lifepo4 for life and power or li-on for light safer lithium use.

• Agree
Reactions: Fordulike

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Don't keep them inside! Dispose of ASAP.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
You can dump them safely once made SAFE for any lithium dump it in a bucket of saline solution for 24 - 48hrs to kill them, voltage will be near 0 and very little chance of shorting to cause a fire. Put them in with normal rubbish or recycling centre.

Jimo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2018
Fakenham, Norfolk
Nealh, Wait a minute - I’ll want the case for a re-build I believe?

Looks like I make contact with Jimmy asap regarding a re-build, I’m in untrodden water here and I would like the best replacement because I can’t walk!
Yesterday when accompanying my wife to hospital for treatment I caused much consternation by collapsing in a corridor, 10 helping nurses were quick to administer my needs, put me and wife into wheel chairs and pushed us 1/4 mile to our parked car, wow! our thanks to all concerned......current battery is claimed to be 36v 10a lithium — see earlier pic.
Help for an 81 y/o intelligent idiot please.

Jim

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I wasn't referring to dump the whole lot in saline just the cell packs once disconnected, Jimmy though will dispose of pouch cells in a re-cell so no issue.
The casing is always retained for re -use.

Jimo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2018
Fakenham, Norfolk
Nealh, Thanks for the info, I’ve spoken with Jimmy at BGA this afternoon and have since arranged for his courier to collect my battery on Monday pm, he really knows his stuff and I’m pleased to have met him even through over the phone, his turn-around is astonishingly quick although I’m not in that much hurry.

Jim

Last edited:

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
Nealh, Thanks for the info, I’ve spoken with Jimmy at BGA this afternoon and have since arranged for his courier to collect my battery on Monday pm, he really knows his stuff and I’m pleased to have met him even through over the phone, his turn-around is astonishingly quick although I’m not in that much hurry.

Jim
I`ll second that, i`ve dealt with Jim a couple of times, you can rest assured the battery will be done to the highest of standards.

Jimo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2018
Fakenham, Norfolk
Thanks guys, its good to know of reliable folk connected with this business, it gives one much pleasure dealing with them.
Just fancy - I’ve now got a (nearly new) Quartz bike AND a new battery for Summer, things are looking up, just a small snag - I can’t ride my Quartz around inside the hospital premises - even though it is a folder. Shame....because I spend too much time there these days, much too much.

Jim

Advertisers