Information only

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
An interesting article.

Just yesterday, I was asked to examine an eighteen month old 36v Phylion battery which would not accept a charge.

The battery had been stored unused throughout the Winter, during which time it had not been topped up at regular intervals. The battery voltage had fallen to 23.6 volts, and no matter which charger I used, it would not accept a charge.... it was 'bricked'

This is a classic example of murder through neglect. The owner was fined £255, the cost of a new battery.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The article is a bit dated now though. The cobalt cathodes referred to are no longer used in pure form in our batteries, and the effects of age are now overstated. Many of today's better lithium batteries with compound cathodes can last much longer then two years, one member only a day or so ago remarking on his three and a half year old one performing well.

A good article otherwise though, just needs updating.

C

Cyclezee

Many of today's better lithium batteries with compound cathodes can last much longer then two years, one member only a day or so ago remarking on his three and a half year old one performing well.
Earlier this week I delivered a new eZee battery to customer in Hertfordshire for his well travelled and beloved eZee Cadence. I was surprised to find that he still had a working four year old Phylion battery although it was on its last legs.

If you bike batteries are expensive, think again. He also has a Vectrix scooter that needs new batteries and will have to fork out £3000:eek:

At the same time the batteries of his 2001 Honda Insight are starting to die, I hate to think what they will cost to replace and would imagine it is not economically viable to do so.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Earlier this week I delivered a new eZee battery to customer in Hertfordshire for his well travelled and beloved eZee Cadence. I was surprised to find that he still had a working four year old Phylion battery although it was on its last legs.
The same with my eZee supplied Phylion test battery that I received mid January 2008, unlabelled but probably made in December 2007. Although it didn't like continuous full throttle extended climbs by two years old on the very high power motor, it continued to work fine on reduced throttle and still has some life.

jazper53

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2012
Brighton
I wonder how old the batteries are when u buy them new, as they start to degrade from day 1 of manufacture ?

C

Cyclezee

I hesitate to say this without touching wood, but I think Lithium batteries are now exceeding the life expectancy of a couple of years ago, and this may sound obvious, but such a lot depends on how they are used and cared for.

On another issue, I have developed a sudden craving for an eZee Cadence, I feel there is a definite gap in my life, maybe it is an age thing and I will get over it:confused:

yselmike

Pedelecer
Sep 6, 2011
purmerend
I live in a block of flats that is only for people over 55 a few have mobility scooters and some of us have e-bikes and a few have normal scooters.They are building a serious cage between the 2 blocks that will have points to plug in the scooters/wheelchairs and e-bikes to charge them as they want to get the scooters out of the corridors I have no idea why they are a problem,my question is what will happen to the battery’s if they are left outside all the year round bearing in mind
that during the last 3 winters we have had some really cold spells with temperatures well below freezing every day for some weeks in February we got down to - 18 I geuss when it snows the scootmobiles will not get used much.
my bike will stay in my hall way,

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I wonder how old the batteries are when u buy them new, as they start to degrade from day 1 of manufacture ?
With today's batteries the rate of chemical degradation is very low until the battery starts to be used, so not a severe problem. The batteries Panasonic make for their crank drive units also have a sleep mode which cuts off the BMS when in storage, so they lose no charge and the deterioration then is negliglible.

Most suppliers keep minimal stocks anyway so as not to be caught out by the constant upgrading in battery specifications that goes on, so once again, there's little cause to worry. In fact finding no battery stock and the supplier waiting for a new delivery is very common!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
my question is what will happen to the battery’s if they are left outside all the year round bearing in mind
that during the last 3 winters we have had some really cold spells with temperatures well below freezing every day for some weeks in February we got down to - 18 I geuss when it snows the scootmobiles will not get used much.
my bike will stay in my hall way,
The batteries won't come to any harm standing in low temperatures, but charging a battery when it's very cold is not advisable since it will not readily accept a full charge. They need a few hours at room temoerature first, so the battery at least should come indoors. That's not a good situation for bikes with in-frame batteries like the Sparta Ion.