inner tubes

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
Is there any difference between inner tubes or are they all much the same. I was wondering if they are likely to perish or start losing air. Mine are about 4 years old now. Should I replace them as a matter of course

gray

KeithMac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2016
York
I had a Kenda one next to a Tesco special, the Kenda was noticeably thicker.

I normally wait till they have a couple of puncture repairs but no harm in fitting new and keeping them as emergency spares.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I've not found modern tubes perishing. Many years ago it was a problem with the old rubber materials but today's improvements seem to make them last for many years. A few claim to be low air loss but I haven't found those I've tried show any noticeable difference, so it could be just marketing hype.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Yes there is a big difference between supermarket no brand tubes and Schwalbe tubes. Especially on bikes ridden by teenage sons.

• Agree
Reactions: trex

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
go tubeless all you need is rim tape valve that fits the rim and the fluid.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
I'm a big fan of the continental tubes. They are thick and perform well. They have a threaded steel valve with a nut to hold it in place, making much easier to get a pump on them.

I just bought 8 for about £20. Sometimes Halfords have them on offer for about £2.50

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing and trex

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
I actually caught a puncture on video, whilst out scootering (urban mushing) with my dog. The slime tube fixed itself and let me continue without the need to repair the hole myself.

Reactions: IR772

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
Thanks for all replies. I have got my tubes slimed and that seems to work well. A few weeks ago I caught a rearwheel puncture. Just pumped it back up and carried on. May get a couple of those continental tube's or the slime ones which are a good price. Will also have a look at the tubeless possibility

best regards gray

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
Other than the "faff factor" is there any difference between the Slime tubes and putting Slime from the bottle into other tubes yourself?
Halfords wanted a tenner to put slime into each of my tyres. They cost a fiver for each tube on the net.

£6.50 per bottle on amazon with generally good reviews. Click to view. Using a bottle can't be a bad thing, as it stops you taking the tyre off. But you have to have Schrader valves. I've just read that it can only be used for inner tubes with removable valve inserts.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Tubeless isn't always the answer. I had a decent flint gash in a tyre that no tyre sealant would have sealed and would have walked home from the S/downs, I was fortunate that my tube was unscathed. Recently I have bought some Michelin butyl tubes which they claim to be more puncture resistant.

• Informative

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Other than the "faff factor" is there any difference between the Slime tubes and putting Slime from the bottle into other tubes yourself?
Potentially yes. The proportion of slime in a tube is quite critical. If too much the excess of solvent and its vapour thats in the slime to keep it liquid can prevent it sealing as the slime oozes out of a new puncture. I'm sure that's why slime hasn't worked for many people, it's certainly failed me more than once in trying it.

Hopefully the pre-slimed tubes have exactly the ideal amount in each tube.

Aso adding it yourself can result in valves clogged with setting slime.

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
I changed mine in situ, without removing the wheel. You just have to loosen the wheel-nuts, slip the old one out, and the new one in. The tyre doesn't need to come out of the tail forks. It's easy enough with a bit of fiddling.

DSC00420.JPG

DSC00427.JPG

DSC00429.JPG

Reactions: flecc

Angelnorth

Pedelecer
May 13, 2016
Hexham, Northumberland
Halfords wanted a tenner to put slime into each of my tyres.
That's iniquitous!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Slime-SLIME-8-SLIME-PUNCTURE-PREVENTOR/dp/B000W45GGW
Using a bottle can't be a bad thing, as it stops you taking the tyre off. But you have to have Schrader valves. I've just read that it can only be used for inner tubes with removable valve inserts.
I have a bottle ready to go in - be more useful if I actually did it than have it sitting on the shelf though :rolleyes:

Potentially yes. The proportion of slime in a tube is quite critical...
Thanks for that, Flecc - I'll proceed with caution!

• Agree