installing a throttle

littlebmw

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 15, 2017
lytham
Hi I am on my 3rd pedelec and my newer one has PAS only unlike my last bike that was dual options. Due to a knee injury I want to add a thumb throttle. I have bought and wired the thumb throttle to the bikes controller matching the Black/Green/Red wires of the controller output (which I assumed was throttle as that seems most common) to the throttle connections with the same colour wires but with20170221_193713.jpg no joy.

I have another 3 wire connector spare on my controller coloured Blue/Red/Yellow but do not want to just hack these in case I do damage to the controller.

I also wired in a front light as the controller also had front and rear light connectors available that are controlled from the handlebar controller which has a light switch and that worked fine.

The handlebar controller itself has 5 power levels and battery indicator too.

questions:
1) If the wires I have used are the right ones could they be disabled in some other way?
2) If I try the other wires that have 3 connections and are currently spare (the blue/red/yellow ones) any thoughts on which colour is GRND, + and control?
20170221_193618.jpg
3) Any suggestions to get the throttle to work?

thanks for any help pics of connections and controller attached

D

Deleted member 4366

Blue, red and yellow are normally the brake connectors, especially if you have two of them the same. Show us all the connectors on your controller.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
If it is an LCD-3 then yes the throttle can be turned off in the advanced options. You have three options PAS only, Throttle works only with PAS and throttle only.

littlebmw

Mar 15, 2017
lytham
hi thanks for the reply. the only 2 connectors free with 3 wires available are the 2 I mentioned and added the photos for. the other 2 free connections were 2 wire ones for the lights (one of which I have now used for the front light). I have added more pictures showing all the connectors including the 5 wire controller and the handlebar controller unit itself too. did not bother with the motor phase wires (no HALL) or the battery ones20170221_193612.jpg 20170221_193629.jpg 20170221_193639.jpg 20170221_193645.jpg 20170221_193655.jpg 20170221_193713.jpg 20170221_193722.jpg 20170221_203700.jpg as they are self evident.

thanks

littlebmw

Mar 15, 2017
lytham
If it is an LCD-3 then yes the throttle can be turned off in the advanced options. You have three options PAS only, Throttle works only with PAS and throttle only.
hi the controller is a non LCD 760 model branded to the manufacturer. (posted a pic on previous pst just now)

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Hi I am on my 3rd pedelec and my newer one has PAS only unlike my last bike that was dual options. Due to a knee injury I want to add a thumb throttle. I have bought and wired the thumb throttle to the bikes controller matching the Black/Green/Red wires of the controller output (which I assumed was throttle as that seems most common) to the throttle connections with the same colour wires but withView attachment 18179 no joy.

I have another 3 wire connector spare on my controller coloured Blue/Red/Yellow but do not want to just hack these in case I do damage to the controller.

I also wired in a front light as the controller also had front and rear light connectors available that are controlled from the handlebar controller which has a light switch and that worked fine.

The handlebar controller itself has 5 power levels and battery indicator too.

questions:
1) If the wires I have used are the right ones could they be disabled in some other way?
2) If I try the other wires that have 3 connections and are currently spare (the blue/red/yellow ones) any thoughts on which colour is GRND, + and control?
View attachment 18178
3) Any suggestions to get the throttle to work?

thanks for any help pics of connections and controller attached
My Lishui 947 for unsensored hub, throttle is Red, Green & Black a large white plug.
Speed sensor also Red,Green & Black, black sm3 plug like yours.

Yellow is GND, red 5v and blue signal, however my controller has no plug this colour.
Problem is controller wire colours from the same manufacturer can differ.

Last edited:

Swinman

Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2016
Leicester
Just a quick one did you turn the crank when you tried the throttle as some bikes don't work till it is moving to get the bike turning over , just a though

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

littlebmw

Mar 15, 2017
lytham
Hi Swimman - yes I tried going for a ride just in case it was a > 3mph thing before it kicked in or cruise only - no joy.

Hi D8veh - the 2 brake connectors are already connected up to 2 (2 wire) connectors from the controller so pretty sure the spare 3 wire connector is not brakes.

Hi Nealth - I will try the other connector tonight using Yellow as GND, red 5v and blue signal. Fingers crossed! Really want to be able to use this to keep going to work on but without a throttle to assist not sure I will be able to.

thanks to everyone for helping so far, much appreciated.

Reactions: Swinman

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Before connecting just check Y/ R have a voltage reading between them, Y/B & R/B should not give a reading.
We know from your pic that the controller is throttle compatible as it states it on the label.

D

Deleted member 4366

Hi D8veh - the 2 brake connectors are already connected up to 2 (2 wire) connectors from the controller so pretty sure the spare 3 wire connector is not brakes.
Many controllers have two pairs of brake connectors. 2 x 2-wire ones for 2-wire brakes and 2 x 3-wire ones for 3-wire brakes. 3-wire brake connectors are nearly always red, blue and yellow. Two wire ones are mostly black and white, but also often black and yellow or black and blue.

I was going to tell you how to test whether they're brake connectors, but there's no point if you're sure they're not.

littlebmw

Mar 15, 2017
lytham
cheers d8veh,my controller as you mention has two pairs of brake connectors using 2 x 2-wire connections. I should have added those to the pictures but as they were already hooked up I left them off

Swinman

Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2016
Leicester
Before connecting just check Y/ R have a voltage reading between them, Y/B & R/B should not give a reading.
We know from your pic that the controller is throttle compatible as it states it on the label.
Hi I'm about to put a throttle on my Viking harrier and the way you say to test is for the power plug on the bike but how do I test for the throttle before I connect it thanks

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Show us the end plug and wires for throttle.

littlebmw

Mar 15, 2017
lytham
well mine is still not working. I tried the 2nd set of 3 wires and no joy, rechecked the voltages and can see 5v on the power line but no matter how I connect it I get no response :-(

no other connections left that have suitable connection points on the controller. Thinking about whether it is the throttle itself that might be at fault.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Have to start my 3 day shift soon so won't be online until after 10pm, so it will be later.

Reactions: Swinman

Swinman

Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2016
Leicester
well mine is still not working. I tried the 2nd set of 3 wires and no joy, rechecked the voltages and can see 5v on the power line but no matter how I connect it I get no response :-(

no other connections left that have suitable connection points on the controller. Thinking about whether it is the throttle itself that might be at fault.
Ok I'm in the same boat as your power display has on,off and low med hi speeds so when I plug my throttle in I think it may not work as the control unit is still taking commands from the on,off switch so it may be a case of back to basics i.e. Unplug everything but put a note on what goes with what and with just power and throttle connection try the throttle then just add one thing at a time first peddle sensor, you may need a new power display and start button a lot of throttles have this built in so get one of them , I know this is slow but it's the best way to get to what we want I'm just glad you get to try this first and maybe save me some time lol all the best don't give up

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
In most cases red is always used as 5v, black is gnd though yellow is used if no black. the signal is then any other colour.

Advertisers