Installing the GSM

Nixtoo

Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2016
My GSM kit is arriving tomorrow and I just want to make sure I have all the tools ready. I have a torque wrench for the m33 nut, can it be tightened with a normal socket set.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
The M33 nuts can be tightened with a pair of adjustable pliers.
The main task is to remove your bottom bracket.
Have you got a crank extractor and a bottom bracket tool?

Nixtoo

Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2016
Thanks for the reply I've got both of those, bottom bracket shouldn't be an issue. But don't have adjustable pliers. Are there any other option for tightening the m33, how crucial is the 60Nm?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
don't worry about torque setting on the M33. I don't know where the 60NM comes from but it should not apply to the two M33s These only need to be moderately tightened because they are not load bearing, they simply prevent the motor from sliding out of the BB shell. If you don't have an adjustable pair of pliers, use a flat head screwdriver to tap on the notches to tighten them.

The crank bolts on the other hand need to be very well tightened, especially the left side M8 crank bolt because of torsion of the BB shaft when you pedal hard. I usually replace the M8 crank allen bolt with normal hex M8, they are much less likely to get loosened.

Last edited:

Nixtoo

Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2016
Excellent thanks. The 60nm came from the instruction from the woosh website. They dont really mention the crank bolts, I'll make sure they're tight!

Last edited:

SpezElec

Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2015
Hi,

It should be straight forward,once you are able to remove the BB,you will need a M33 wrench to tighthen it securely,mine came loose once as I only used an adjustable pliers.

Reactions: trex

Nixtoo

Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2016
Battery connection question. There are two wires coming from the battery mount, blue and brown. The wires coming from the motor power cable are red and black. It looks like it's blue to black and red to brown, is this correct? Also how do I make these wire weatherproof?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Solder and thermo-retractable sleeve is my choice.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Battery connection question. There are two wires coming from the battery mount, blue and brown. The wires coming from the motor power cable are red and black. It looks like it's blue to black and red to brown, is this correct? Also how do I make these wire weatherproof?
the two wires blue and brown coming from the battery: brown should be to + and blue - but check with the meter to be sure.
the two wires red and black from the motor power cable: red is + and black is -
How to make the power cable weather proof?
use heat shrink tubing. You only need about 10cm of the 3mm tubing for the individual conductor and 10cm of the 10mm tubing for the power cord.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/127pc-Black-Heat-Shrink-Tube-Assortment-Wire-Wrap-Electrical-Insulation-Sleeving-/111802797663

I normally shorten the power cables, put on the tubing and solder the power tail (the one with two pins that goes into the power cable plug supplied with the motor kit). I use the side of the soldering iron to shrink the tubing when done.

Nixtoo

Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2016
Brilliant thanks, I need to dig out the soldering iron and order some heat shrink. I plan on just taping it to start with til I'm happy it's all working. Day off tomorrow so planning to start the conversion, very excited!

Nixtoo

Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2016
Fitted and working. Thanks for all the help. Throttle doesn't work, so woosh are sending a replacement. Just need to spend some time tidying up the cables. Very pleased with result.

Nixtoo

Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2016
Would be OK to shorten the main cable between the motor and lcd? I assume I can cut it then resolder it together? This would have the added advantage of allowing me to thread it through some spare cable supports on my frame.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
you can but it's very fiddly. There are about 10 wires to solder and insulate individually. I would just coil it around the seat tube and tie the loop to the bottom bracket to lose the excess length.

Nixtoo

Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2016
Hmm, maybe not a good idea, thanks trex for the info. I'll just shorten the power cable!

SpezElec

Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2015
Has anyone fitted a GSM kit recently,are they more reliable than the first and second batches.
I am asking as the replacement unit sent by Woosh last november was fitted and had 3-4 use it total and only gave me serious issues of error 02 codes appearing intermittenly and yesterday has again totally stop working.
Email Woosh and waiting for response.
I am asking as need to check if will trust GSM kit for the third time,it only have me headache and wasted my time,thinking of upgrading back to Bafang kit.

Many Thanks

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I had one in November which lasted 250 miles before it died although it suffered water ingress the problem was more then that and the power just failed no pas or throttle available a couple of tap's with my left heel got me power back again temporarily but the main issue is over heating as mine got very warm to the touch. Andy sent a replacement 3 or 4 weeks ago and today on totally dry not so warm day took it for a first ride of 71 miles and it failed again after only 55 miles, again pas and throttle failed before intermittently coming back again with a light tap with my left heel and the motor was very warm to the touch so over heating seems still an issue although I did get power back once the air temp had cooled after about 6pm. Soon as I got in I left an email with Woosh so will await a reply, for now the GSM isn't ready for the market and isn't fit for purpose until reliability/heat issue is sorted out. A third kit is not an option for me as at the mo they are not fit for purpose which is a shame because when they work they are very good.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Who is running one with an external controller?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the woosh Bali uses the GSM motor with external Lishui HL1260 controller very successfully. I know woosh are working on a new internal controller for the GSM but I have not seen it yet.

SpezElec

Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2015
So under warranty my unit should be replaced again,but not wanting GSM now and willing to pay more to get Bafang reliabiity,I am still waiting for Andy from Woosh,i hope Hatti can read these.

Thanks

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The GSM controller has only 6 FETs, It can cut out if pushed too much.
If you are unhappy with the unit, please contact support to arrange return and refund.

Tony

Last edited:
Reactions: ptdg