Insult to Democracy

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
This is typical of left wing politics. They are the most dangerous people on the planet, thinking that their minority ideals are above democracy. If you notice, it is the left wing groups who turn to violence when things don't go their way. I am not aware of any UKIP activists demonstrating violently on the streets, it is always some unwashed, matted haired bunch of left wing clowns that start kicking off in protest.

It won't be long before they start committing criminal damage and assault in support of their desire to overturn the democracy of Thursday's decision.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Amazingly, or perhaps not, I,ve just been emailed to sign this antidemicratic petition...
Perhaps we should start a petition to get antidemocratic petitions banned.??
Could take 50 years to get a decision..

If this wasn't so pathetic it would be laughable. What part of being out voted are people have difficulty with? That's how it works, we ask each person and go with the majority.

I hope the government print the petition and use it as lavatory paper, because that is all that it is fit for.

Mar 9, 2016
Totally agree Tillson but I wonder if there,s rather more to this than meets the eye. Email I received moaned about unelected priminister and new (??) section of party negotiating our exit ? Mp,s generally wanted to remain, this BS is going to give them agenda to debate perhaps a mandate to change..ie ) have second referendum ??? We,ll see.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Totally agree Tillson but I wonder if there,s rather more to this than meets the eye. Email I received moaned about unelected priminister and new (??) section of party negotiating our exit ? Mp,s generally wanted to remain, this BS is going to give them agenda to debate perhaps a mandate to change..ie ) have second referendum ??? We,ll see.
That thought has crossed my mind, particularly the fact that collectively the majority of MPs opinion on BREXIT is not aligned with that of the public. In parliament, we have an organisation carrying out the task of withdrawing from the EU under duress. This isn't a good basis for getting anything done. It won't surprise me to see dirty deals and more skulduggery in the coming weeks and months.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That thought has crossed my mind, particularly the fact that collectively the majority of MPs opinion on BREXIT is not aligned with that of the public. In parliament, we have an organisation carrying out the task of withdrawing from the EU under duress. This isn't a good basis for getting anything done. It won't surprise me to see dirty deals and more skulduggery in the coming weeks and months.
Hopefully not, I don't agree with the demand for a second referendum, just as I didn't agree with the one we just had. Referenda aren't the way we govern this country, we elect governments to run the country. That's our democracy.

Reactions: damian and tillson

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Hopefully not, I don't agree with the demand for a second referendum, just as I didn't agree with the one we just had. Referenda aren't the way we govern this country, we elect governments to run the country. That's our democracy.
I think I can see what you are getting at here. David Cameron only promised the referendum in order to stem the flow of voters to UKIP, fearing that it would dilute the Conservative vote sufficiently to allow Labour / SNP in. For him, this has back-fired in a most spectacular fashion.

Maybe the lesson is for political parties to promise and pledge only what they genuinely believe in and stand for. Not to be constantly shape-shifting in an effort to play the statistics.

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
This is typical of left wing politics. They are the most dangerous people on the planet, thinking that their minority ideals are above democracy. If you notice, it is the left wing groups who turn to violence when things don't go their way. I am not aware of any UKIP activists demonstrating violently on the streets, it is always some unwashed, matted haired bunch of left wing clowns that start kicking off in protest.

It won't be long before they start committing criminal damage and assault in support of their desire to overturn the democracy of Thursday's decision.
In case you missed it in the news - A Labour MP was just murdered > https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/jun/18/thomas-mair-charged-with-of-mp-jo-cox

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
I think that for fundamental things like the EU membership a referendum is necessary.
Otherwise, what is stop Nicola Sturgeon calling all Scottish MPs and MSPs together, making the proposal, getting a vote and declaring the Republic of Scotland?

Ruadh495

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2015
Agree. In my opinion the Major government was wrong to ratify the Maastricht Treaty without a referendum. It affected the constitutional basis on which Parliament governs the country (by giving precedent to EU law) and so was beyond the competence of Parliament.

• Agree
Reactions: mike killay
Mar 9, 2016
Talking of insult to democracy did anyone hear student on Tele...reckoned because his Gran was 80 (" and probably only 4 years to live") her vote should carry less importance than his at 18 with his entire life before him ???
What a git. Is this what stayers are lowering themselves to ??

Reactions: wolfmandave15

timidtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 19, 2009
Cheshire
GambiaGOES.blogspot.com
What fun this referendum has been: plots, sub-plots and still more to come. It has attracted discussion, meetings of minds, unusual applications of statistics, dreams of Utopia, clerics spouting scripture and all manner of facial contortions by politicians attempting to appear sincere. What will the next referendum require of us? Perhaps we should return to buttoned flies - to zip or not to zip? Should the Highway code suggest we abandon left or right and just drive down the middle? And will the mighty intellect that decided we should have a referendum be rewarded with a Nobel Prize or just simple immortality? Keep the questions coming!
Nurse, have I had my medication yet? Where's my biscuit?
Tom

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I am optimistic. I like the Norway model, with a bit more participation in scientific reasearch and pharmaceuticals. I also like to see Osborne running for PM's job.

Last edited:

Advertisers