Insurance Contradictions with an eBike

Cardy01

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 23, 2012
Having paid an additional premium & added my bike onto my all-in buildings/contents insurance when I got the policy amendment yesterday it clearly specifed I'd cover for a £1500 Electric Bike and then contradicting this was an exemption for any cycles with a motor.

I'm now in discusions with Halifax Home Insurance who are taking this back to their under-writer.

Just wanted to flag this for anyone else who may think they are covered - but we all hear about the back-pedalling :) our friends in the insurance world are prone to, when we come to make a claim.

Cardy, Whisper 905 - Harpenden

n0ct0

May 17, 2012
North Yorks Moors(ish)
I'll take a look at my small print with Legal and General I think. However, as they took specific details of make, model and serial numbers before giving me a quote, I would expect that regardless of small print they have agreed to specifically insured the items I have described so clearly to them.

Certainly a good reminder to check the small print!

On another note it was £300 pounds per bike for separate cover on each bike with the CTC, but £120 to add both of them to the household policy.

davef

Just Joined
Jul 13, 2012
Manchester
I recently insured my Freego Eagle and nearly came across ' another' small print problem.
I insured it for £1500 - if it got stolen whilst it was out of my garage it was insured for the £1500 . ...but when the helpdesk I was booking it through read the conditions through very quickly I spotted that if was stolen whilst IN my garage that even though I'd insured it specifically for £1500 a built in max of 'cycles in the home = max £600 per cycle would override it.
Took over an hour to sort out - I had to get a specific policy which apparently they do not normally sell.
Insurance policy is with Groupama ( via Swinton Brokers)

Cardy01

Jun 23, 2012
Thanks Davef .. I'm still waiting for the insurance Halifax Insurance decison. They've assured me they will hoour the policy in the meantime - since I've raised it with them.

deadmonkey

Pedelecer
Nov 21, 2010
GL12
Thanks Davef .. I'm still waiting for the insurance Halifax Insurance decison. They've assured me they will hoour the policy in the meantime - since I've raised it with them.
I've just moved mine from Halifax to Aviva because of the new exclusion which Halifax added, even though they still included the extra premium of 20 quid for the increased value of the bike.

It turns out that with the various discounts for no claims in the last 5 years and being a new customer mine was about half the price of a renewal too. For a lazy person such as myself it's unfortunate that you get rewarded for being a disloyal customer, but so be it.

Advertisers