Insurance

rog_london

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2009
Harrow, Middlesex
I wasn't seriously thinking of buying any, and after looking around I'm even less likely to do so....

Forget about 'house contents' extensions - I was interested in 'proper' bicycle insurance. It seems the rule of thumb is around 10% of the purchase price of the bike - so if, for example, you'd bought a mid/top of the range bicycle - let's say three grands' worth - you'd pay around £300 per annum to insure it against theft or vandalism. This does NOT include third party risks - you'd pay extra for that.

Admittedly your cover would provide new-for-old up to two years old, but still.....

My 650cc motorbike costs me just under £100 a year TPF&T. Admittedly I have a clean licence and no claims since Noah was a lad, but it was still a shock to do the comparison.

I don't suppose the insurance companies are ripping us off - much. I rather suspect that it confirms the opinion expressed by a good number of people in other threads on here that theft is a HUGE problem, especially if you have something remotely desirable. This wasn't a quote for an electric bike - just your normal (non-Halfords, ha ha) pedal cycle.

So - whatever you have - unless it's a piece of utilitarian and barely serviceable junk it needs to live in your house or in your office wherever you work. I know a good few offices (especially IT departments) where there are almost as many bicycles parked alongside the desks as there are staff.

I'm glad I don't commute - if I had to leave my pride and joy on view in a company cycle shed (or worse) I'd be too preoccupied with wondering if it would still be there come clocking off time to do any work.

Rog.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
my £40000 + camper van renewal just coming up at £425...I dont think I will complain again.

why forget the house policy extension if it does the job.....our bikes @ £2000 a piece cost about £100 each on household policy (covered both here and in Europe)

even M&S policy covers bikes up to £4000 (no ebikes though)

Last edited:

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
Westfield, 2.2 Pinto on Suzuki GSXR throttle bodies, high torque cam, forged psitons + rods, 180bhp - 0-60 in 4.5s - £190 fully comp with £150 excess :cool:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Westfield, 2.2 Pinto on Suzuki GSXR throttle bodies, high torque cam, forged psitons + rods, 180bhp - 0-60 in 4.5s - £190 fully comp with £150 excess :cool:
But not if street parked in a London borough I'll bet. ;)

Advertisers