Interesting Easi-fit kit (Bottle battery + Front Wheel + Bluetooth)

Scorpio

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2020
Portugal Algarve (temporary)
More info https://easifitebikekit.co.uk/product/the-easi-fit-ebike-converter-kit/

Bluetooth controls. The ad shows a controller called BTC02, a quick search finds a demo - looks like you remove the display to charge it (theft?), kit includes display & throttle. No pedal or brake sensors that I can see, no way for it to tell if you want to freewheel, slow down or if you want it to kick in? Am I missing the obvious?
Set power level by Bluetooth / App ? It has potential for quick and easy install. Battery spec is 36V/6Ah (fine for local shopping but very low capacity) Price is under £600 so it's not cheap.

Demo is cool, wheel is waterproof (and I was going across fords with water nearly up to my axles yesterday !) https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/LVBU-electric-bicycle-computer-BTC02-Wireless_62285081134.html

For comparision, Swytch do something similar https://www.swytchbike.com/p/universal-ebike-conversion-kit/

It's good to see manfacturers trying a different approach, it's the only way we get progress :)

davmor

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 18, 2021
More info https://easifitebikekit.co.uk/product/the-easi-fit-ebike-converter-kit/

Bluetooth controls. The ad shows a controller called BTC02, a quick search finds a demo - looks like you remove the display to charge it (theft?), kit includes display & throttle. No pedal or brake sensors that I can see, no way for it to tell if you want to freewheel, slow down or if you want it to kick in? Am I missing the obvious?
Set power level by Bluetooth / App ? It has potential for quick and easy install. Battery spec is 36V/6Ah (fine for local shopping but very low capacity) Price is under £600 so it's not cheap.

Demo is cool, wheel is waterproof (and I was going across fords with water nearly up to my axles yesterday !) https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/LVBU-electric-bicycle-computer-BTC02-Wireless_62285081134.html

For comparision, Swytch do something similar https://www.swytchbike.com/p/universal-ebike-conversion-kit/

It's good to see manfacturers trying a different approach, it's the only way we get progress :)
I've got one on order! I'll let you know how I get on in due course (lead-time is about 6 weeks at present, I'm told). It will be my first experience of using ANY e-bike, conversion or otherwise, so you will have to bear that in mind. Just in passing, re: "..no way for it to tell if you want to freewheel, slow down or if you want it to kick in.." - it's my understanding that the battery "bottle" also holds a gyro, which is used to sense when stopped/ in motion and/ or climbing/ descending and used, in conjunction with the display controller (included) or smartphone (bracket also included) and free smartphone app, to provide appropriate assistance.

E-bullient

Sep 16, 2020
I've got one on order! I'll let you know how I get on in due course (lead-time is about 6 weeks at present, I'm told). It will be my first experience of using ANY e-bike, conversion or otherwise, so you will have to bear that in mind. Just in passing, re: "..no way for it to tell if you want to freewheel, slow down or if you want it to kick in.." - it's my understanding that the battery "bottle" also holds a gyro, which is used to sense when stopped/ in motion and/ or climbing/ descending and used, in conjunction with the display controller (included) or smartphone (bracket also included) and free smartphone app, to provide appropriate assistance.

E-bullient

Sep 16, 2020
I have owned an Easi-Fit kit for eight months, fitted to a 26" wheel hybrid bike. It worked ok for about six months but then started to develop problems. The pedal assist settings stopped working properly when using the app or Bluetooth controller and also without using either of these. Sometimes the assist would kick in and at others it would not. When it did intermittently work, the motor would not cut out when I ceased pedalling. I had to bring the bike to a complete stop before the motor stopped. I tried recalibrating the gyro and even a factory reset, using the app but to no avail. Eventually I contacted Easi-Fit and they sent me out a new battery holder, which houses the electronics and gyro. Fitting this made no difference. Concluding that the problem must me with the hub motor, I returned the front hub wheel to Easi-Fit and they fitted the hub with a replacement stator and rotor. Surprisingly, having received and tested this, I am still experiencing the same issues. I have decided that a completely new replacement hub motor wheel is the only option left, to try and remedy the fault. Fortunately, the kit comes with a 12 month warranty.

I would be interested to know if any other Easi-Fit kit owners have experienced similar problems. The only reviews I can find are on the Easi-Fit website. They are nearly all positive but they have all been posted after recent purchases and not after long term use.

davmor

Mar 18, 2021
Mine is now due to arrive in two days time. I'll report back in due course! :) Reading the above (quote: "I had to bring the bike to a complete stop before the motor stopped") I cannot think how/ why this would be anything other than a gyro or control electronics problem - assuming, that is, no problems with the app itself - the motor can only drive if power is being supplied to it? (BTW There are a few videos on YouTube which aren't directly linked to the Easi-Fit website, if you are interested - again mostly positive, although I did note that another rider had to have the "bottle" with gyro & electronics replaced after 3/ 4 months).

Last edited:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Mine is now due to arrive in two days time. I'll report back in due course! :) Reading the above (quote: "I had to bring the bike to a complete stop before the motor stopped") I cannot think how/ why this would be anything other than a gyro or control electronics problem - assuming, that is, no problems with the app itself - the motor can only drive if power is being supplied to it? (BTW There are a few videos on YouTube which aren't directly linked to the Easi-Fit website, if you are interested - again mostly positive, although I did note that another rider had to have the "bottle" with gyro & electronics replaced after 3/ 4 months).
Maybe they didn't have brake sensors fitted. I can't see brake sensors mentioned in the listing. Some controllers run on after you stop pedalling, so you need brake switches to switch off the power when you want to stop or slow down. The run-on time can be anything from 1/2 to 2 seconds.

davmor

Mar 18, 2021
My kit arrived today, just as promised (was warned at time of order that it would be 6-8 weeks, arrived after 7weeks!) First impression - well packaged, and comes complete with cable ties, set of allen keys and a spanner. I had a moment's anxiety that the battery & controller (inbuilt) - looks like an oversized water bottle - wouldn't fit in my frame, which is very small (Claud Butler Trailridge MTB) but removing my (real!) bottle cage and pump allowed me to fit it, although a tight squeeze (can still insert / remove the unit from the holder so that's ok!). I haven't got any further yet, as was interrupted and have some other stuff to do before I can get back to it later this week. Will update as/ when I can.

davmor

Mar 18, 2021
Ok, my update as promised. The kit is very comprehensive, with an extender bracket to help move the display controller off the handlebar if wanted (I didn't), a manual thumb speed control to connect by wire (if no bluetooth for some reason -I didn't need this), a bluetooth display/ controller, a bracket for a smartphone (to control via an app), a "supersize water-bottle" battery (with inbuilt gyro and control electronics) along with its cradle and the motorised wheel itself (complete with tyre). It also comes with a disc (if you need for disc brakes) and all necessary screws, washers, brackets, cable ties, spanner and allen keys, etc.
Fitting this unit was a doddle - it took me a couple of hours altogether (not half an hour, as advertised) but in fairness most of this was because my handlebars were quite cluttered with an LED light, GPS mountimg, Cateye computer mounting, and a bell. I also spent some time fitting BOTH the supplied display/ controller (bluetooth) AND the supplied bracket/ mount for a smartphone, downloading and configuring the free app (mine is Android, but an iPhone version is also available) and checking/ adjusting brake settings for the new wheel. (The gyro senses when you're braking, and cuts the power to the motor)
I've tried it using the controller - you can set assistance in 10% increments from 0 to 100% (actually 99%, for the two-digit display!), or use a thumb "throttle" speed control, whereas the smartphone app allows 1% steps and five modes for different assistance profiles - this also gives stats on av. and max. speed, distance, battery charge, etc.
It DOES require some pedalling up hills (it's only 250W after all!), but is perfectly capable of bowling along merrily virtually unassisted on the flat. I've only travelled about 10 miles (mostly on the flat, with a few long shallow gradients and two short, but quite steep, hills - and about half that I was running at 100% assist, just as a trial, and overall that used about 20% of the battery. Based on all the above, and as I do want to exercise but find my old knees struggle with some longer journeys/ hills and so just wanted some assistance (I plan to run it at about 50% with perhaps 70% for hills), I'm very happy!

Last edited:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
can we see some photos?
Didn't you have to file the dropouts to get the motor in? Is it a front motor?

davmor

Mar 18, 2021
Yes, it is a front motor. I didn't take photos as I fitted it, unfortunately, but I will take some pictures of the converted bike and of the various component parts in the next day or so (if it ever stops raining!). The two critical points are a 10 cm gap (approx) between the forks - mine were about 10.5 (just over, actually) but no problem getting a snug fit with the various thick/ thin washers and spring washers provided. I believe the two "special" washers with a lug (to counteract the torque of the motor) can be positioned inside the forks (as mine were) facing out, or on the outside of the forks, facing in - which gives quite some flexibility in arranging a snug fit. The gap for the dropouts (into which these "special" washers locate) should be 10mm - which is exactly what mine were, so no need to file anything in my case. As my forks are steel there was also no concern about needing a torque arm (not supplied, but easily available at low cost) to spread the load - which you may wish to consider if fitting to aluminium forks. Hope that helps.

RossMcGibbon

Just Joined
Jul 16, 2021
Are you still enjoying it? I see a few people are importing and rebranding these kids - Ultra Ebike, Electric Bike Club, and Easifit, as you used.
I'm pretty tempted and I'm curious if the motor is as light as they claim (I've been put off converting my bike by other, heavier, motors potentially making it less fun to ride unpowered.
So, any feedback on weight and your experience so far would be great.

davmor

Mar 18, 2021
Hi Ross! Yes, still enjoying it, although sadly a death in the family (and I'm executor), coupled with atrocious weather until recently meant I've not been out as much as I'd hoped. I haven't really noticed the additional weight of the motor - although that might not be the case if I had to cycle uphill without it turned on! As it is, I find it provides helpful assistance on the flat and a real boost on hills (where I used to find my knees "crackling" with the strain of pedalling even in lower gears. Being realistic, it is an aid rather than a substitute for pedalling effort - but a really beneficial one I find. One of the big factors in my decision (apart from the relatively low cost, compared to some other solutions) was the ease of fitting, as there is no requirement for a magnetic sensor disc to be fitted to the cranks - the inbuilt gyro takes care of the motion sensing and, as far as my experience goes, seems to do it well. I'm pleased I did it.

RossMcGibbon

Just Joined
Jul 16, 2021
Thanks Davmor,

That's really good to know. I've been humming and hawing over this, Swytch, or use Cycle To Work for a new bike but I think you've swung it for me.
Ultra E-bike are doing them for £520 (with a discount code) till the end of the month.

Sorry to hear about being an executor. I did that myself and it was a lot of work - but well worth saving on the solicitor fees.