Intermittent power on Powercycle Windsor

BobJ

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 3, 2009
Hi

I'm a long time member but rarely post.

I have a 2010 Haibike EQ xDuro full suspension which is still going strong.

After I'd had it a while I bought my wife a Powercycle Windsor with the LPX battery (I get the great, she gets the cheap :)) It's only been used a few times as we've been shuffling houses as we both retired and downsized, probably done less than 100 miles in total.

Now we're settled again it was dragged out of storage, serviced and the battery topped up - it had been cycled a few times while it was in storage just to keep it healthy.

It all works well - - - - - most of the time, but has an intermittent power problem (it started when it was just 3 months old and before going into storage). Before I give up with it, throw it away and start again can anyone point me to a possible solution?

Thanks
Bob Jeffries

mw1

Pedelecer
Apr 15, 2014
Hull, E.Yorks
Hello Bob, a few more details would be useful, if you still have the bike that is, but it sounds like it may be something as simple as a loose connection somewhere. 1st thing I would look at is where the battery connects to the bike. I don't have any experience of these bikes in particular, so maybe someone who has can give more specific guidance.
Regards Mark

BobJ

Jun 3, 2009
Hello Bob, a few more details would be useful, if you still have the bike that is, but it sounds like it may be something as simple as a loose connection somewhere. 1st thing I would look at is where the battery connects to the bike. I don't have any experience of these bikes in particular, so maybe someone who has can give more specific guidance.
Regards Mark
Thanks for the reply Mark.
I do still have the bike and will do as you suggest and see how it goes. I have also had a reply from Powacycle and they have suggested I return the battery to them for testing as a first step. I'll do as you say first and if that makes no difference will get the battery checked.
Many thanks
Bob Jeffries

Reactions: mw1
D

Deleted member 4366

Hi
It all works well - - - - - most of the time, but has an intermittent power problem (it started when it was just 3 months old and before going into storage).
I think you need to explain a bit more before anyone can help you.

• Agree

BobJ

Jun 3, 2009
I’ve had the battery checked locally and all seems OK.

Checked and cleaned all the connections to/from the controller and all seems OK.

I have now seen that when the power assistance stops working I can see that the “full charge” battery LED dims/goes out if either the pedals are turned or the throttle is operated, although the motor in the rear hub does not operate.

From that I am pretty sure it’s actually a problem with the motor in the rear wheel - can they be repaired?

D

Deleted member 4366

motors are very reliable and it's almost impossible for one to have an intermittent fault, so look elsewhere for the source of your problem.

• Agree

mw1

Pedelecer
Apr 15, 2014
Hull, E.Yorks
Hi again Bob, this is an extract I found in the reviews section for the Powercycle Windsor :

I haveowned a Windsor bike for thepast year and my Wife bought a new'Windsor' some two months ago. Both bikes (purchased from twodifferent retailers) have the samepower sudden 'cut-out' problem.

Both retailers Electric Bike World(New Milton, Hants) and Powarider(Windsor, Berkshire) have kindly been trying to solve the problem for myWife and I. Both bikes have recently had new controllers fitted but power 'cut-out' problem remains.

The power cut-out happens regularly every day and can (on occasions) be dangerous to the rider, particularywhen in traffic or perhaps on aroundabout where that little bit ofadded power is required. I have been in quite dangerous situations intraffic, with the power cutting outwhen least expected and it hashappened on more than oneoccasion.

I'd be interested to know anyone elseexperienced the same problem withthe Windsor?
END QUOTE

So it would seem this may be a common problem.

And another :

I would have rated it higher except for a bit of rust that's starting and a problem with the pins connecting the battery though that should be sorted soon.
END QUOTE

This is still where I would be looking. If, like a lot of bikes with the battery behind the seatpost, these are difficult to see in operation you could try temporarily putting the battery on the rack, & using some suitable 'jumper' wires to connect it up, so that you can be sure you have good connections here. If this eliminates the problem you will know once & for all where the problem lies. Just an idea...

Mark

D

Deleted member 4366

I’ve had the battery checked locally and all seems OK.

Checked and cleaned all the connections to/from the controller and all seems OK.

I have now seen that when the power assistance stops working I can see that the “full charge” battery LED dims/goes out if either the pedals are turned or the throttle is operated, although the motor in the rear hub does not operate.

From that I am pretty sure it’s actually a problem with the motor in the rear wheel - can they be repaired?
If I take what you say at face value, the problem would be a faulty connection in one of the three motor phase wires. If it has the bullet/barrel connectors at the controller, pull them apart, crimp down the barrels and re-insert.

Advertisers