Introduction - and straight in with a GTECH issue!

leecashman

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 20, 2020
Hello community,
I've just signed up to the forum, so thanks for having me!
I'm a pretty unfit 44 year and was looking to cycle to work - a 14 mile round trip.
I love my mountain bikes, so after lots of looking around I settled on the GTECH E-scent MTB - Cycle Republic had one reduced from £1,899 to £1,000 on the Cycle2Work scheme, so was perfect for what I needed.

Only got the bike last week, and have a bit of an ongoing issue I'd like some advice with.
The bike has a bottom-bracket based PAS sensor, and the standard Bafang 250w hub motor rear wheel. The idea with this setup as you'll all know is that the motor will kick in if I pedal a bit harder, so gently pushing me up those hills and saving my ancient legs!

The issue I have is that the motor kicks in very randomly. I get the initial 'push' off the line, but then the power delivery is very sporadic - whether I'm on ECO or MAX mode. I realise these things are restricted to 15.5mph but it's not that - I can be plodding along up a slight incline at 8/9mph - and when I push on the pedals, the motor actually 'drags' we back! Making it harder to pedal. It feels like engine braking in a car. In order to get the motor to assist, I have to kind of 'coast' the pedals round - i.e., keep rotating the crank but without putting any pressure on the pedals. Then it works fine.

I've tried disconnecting the PAS and the motor (so therefore just using it as a non-elec MTB) and the 'dragging' sensation is still there. The harder I pedal, that harder it fights back. If I then freewheel along, it doesn't drag.

My thoughts are that there must be something wrong with the motor? Something shorting out or binding that's causing the motor not to engage and disengage fully.
Any one has this or have any ideas what I can look at to resolve? I've done the usual (clean and WD40 all the connections, etc) but to no avail.

Obviously with it only being a week old I am currently in conversation with Gtech about getting them to send me a new rear wheel! But if it's something simple I can sort all the better.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Lee

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Hi welcome
I would get it back where you bought it as anything you fiddle with may give them an excuse to give you warranty issues
Hope you get it sorted soon