Inverters or 12v chargers for Bosch

jungaljohn

Just Joined
Aug 18, 2017
Cornwall
Hi there,

so i plugged my bosch charger into my campervan's non psw 2000w inverter supplied 240v socket and it seems to have stopped working. Made some buzzing and got a bit warm but no go. Plugged it into house mains, no go. Plugged a friends charger into the battery, fine.
So it is the charger that has gone wrong.
Other battery charger (dewalt) seem to work fine.

Has anyone experienced similar or use an inverter to car charge succesfully or does anyone know if a 12v bosch charger is available
this one was muted a few years back
https://www.e-bikeshop.co.uk/blog/post/bosch-ebike-12v-travel-battery-car-charger/
but cant find one in the flesh

Thanks

John

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
Hi there,

so i plugged my bosch charger into my campervan's non psw 2000w inverter supplied 240v socket and it seems to have stopped working. Made some buzzing and got a bit warm but no go. Plugged it into house mains, no go. Plugged a friends charger into the battery, fine.
So it is the charger that has gone wrong.
Other battery charger (dewalt) seem to work fine.

Has anyone experienced similar or use an inverter to car charge succesfully or does anyone know if a 12v bosch charger is available
this one was muted a few years back
https://www.e-bikeshop.co.uk/blog/post/bosch-ebike-12v-travel-battery-car-charger/
but cant find one in the flesh

Thanks

John
Interesting. Albeit not good for you! :( There have been a number of threads over the years asking about whether you need pure sine wave inverters, but never a definitive answer.
Lots of people saying anything will work. Others saying pseudo sine types can damage various types of equipment.
Its going to depend on the design of the actual charger, and without having details of the circuitry, its hard to know what will happen. Looks as if there might indeed be a real danger with the Bosch ones with some inverters.

Good pure sine ones should work fine. Pity they're always more expensive!

There was indeed a 12V genuine Bosch car charger, but the last time I looked, for some reason it seemed to have been discontinued.

Advertisers