Is her motor toast?

anon4

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2017
GB
My wife's hub motor is making a sort of rhythmic mechanical noise when it's running. No noise when the motor isn't used. Definitely coming from the hub, other than this it works normally. Bearings or something worse?

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
My wife's hub motor is making a sort of rhythmic mechanical noise when it's running. No noise when the motor isn't used. Definitely coming from the hub, other than this it works normally. Bearings or something worse?
Only way is loook as vfr said.

From my own experience I had some of the teeth on the nylon internal gears shear / melt in an old bafang motor. It made a "sort of rhythmic mechanical noise" until I replaced the gears.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
If water gets in, the motor goes rusty and can make the same sound. As I said, sometimes a clean with penetrating oil is enoughto sort it, other times a bearing might need replacing (about £1 on Ebay). Damaged gears are not very common, but do happen.

anon4

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2017
GB
Thanks, we might just replace it as it's a 36v model running at 48v, the extra heat may have caused it as it runs pretty hot. It's pretty old anyway and spokes keep breaking, not ready for more headaches. The equivalent 48v 350w model is only £146 from AliExpress and should run a lot cooler. In the meantime it can carry on sounding like Thomas the tank engine lol

Advertisers