Is it a Bird or is it a Plane ?

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
No , it`s one of those silly bells that they seem to fit to Ebikes . They are small and have stubby levers and are permanently fixed to the brake lever alloy casting . My 9 year old Batribike has a nice built in Electronic Horn , but the last two purchases have these useless dingers . I sent to China for some replacement Horn/Light Combinations powered by rechargeable batteries via a USB port . This week some Walkers weren`t moved after a few attempts and on the third attempt the Elderly Male looked skyward to see which bird had been calling . We were only metres from Cardiff Airport too ! The final warning would have been a loud shout from me` BIKE `.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I was once startled by someone yelling bike in a voice that wouldnt be lost in the channer during thick fog. I try to keep to the view that, at least where I ride on the towpath, they have a perfect right to be there and shouldnt have to worry about irate bikers (present company excepted) bellowing in their earoles. I always slow down to just above a walking pace and call out Hi, Behind you if they havnt heard my bell which usually gets a friendly aknowledgement.
When using the Cobi electronic bell I have seen several walker stop and take out their phone thinking they had a text. Still looking for a decent bell.. but been off injured for 5 weeks now and no return in sight..:mad:

Laser Man

Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2018
Michelmersh SO51
A "bell" should sound like a bell. Shouting is inappropriate and possibly dangerous!

A while ago I was walking on a fairly narrow path with my wife. Someone shouted behind us and we both turned round to see what was up. I was carrying a long stick and in turning, nearly took the shouter off his bike. Had we heard a bell we would have known exactly what was coming and I could have held the stick well out of the way.

trevor brooker

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2018
maidstone
When on shared path cycling the same direction as walkers I slow to their pace to overtake, unless there is several yards of clearance. Electronic horns are loud enough but not recognised by pedestrians.
On the road I have had to resort to shouting when people have just stepped out without looking, leaving no time to use a horn. I think its because most vehicles make a noise & I believe that ecars are considering noise generators at town speeds.