Is it just me

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
OK as it's the last day of summer:confused: I managed to squeeze a 30 mile ride in today on my non assisted hybrid. Dispite the adverse conditions I still enjoyed it, even my favourite down hill bit normally 30mph free wheeling, the head wind meant peddling only got me to 14mph:(
Anywho, back to my point (and there is one)
I cycle because I enjoy it and it puts a smile on my face, so why is it when I see the racer type cyclists they look so miserable and when I chirp up with a hello, I'm lucky to get a grunt in response but more often I'm ignored.

Should I know my place as a lower class of cyclist and not speak to the elite racer folk.
Or are they just grumpy because of those razor blade saddles:p
Another possibility, they alway look hungry and tend to be built like racing snakes, I know I can get a bit grumpy without my nose bag ;)

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
OK as it's the last day of summer:confused: I managed to squeeze a 30 mile ride in today on my non assisted hybrid. Dispite the adverse conditions I still enjoyed it, even my favourite down hill bit normally 30mph free wheeling, the head wind meant peddling only got me to 14mph:(
Anywho, back to my point (and there is one)
I cycle because I enjoy it and it puts a smile on my face, so why is it when I see the racer type cyclists they look so miserable and when I chirp up with a hello, I'm lucky to get a grunt in response but more often I'm ignored.

Should I know my place as a lower class of cyclist and not speak to the elite racer folk.
Or are they just grumpy because of those razor blade saddles:p
Another possibility, they alway look hungry and tend to be built like racing snakes, I know I can get a bit grumpy without my nose bag ;)
They're in their own world of pain and suffering which for some reason they seem to enjoy. Don't think they're out there for fun - more to prove things to themselves and each other. If you've got it in you to smile you're not working hard enough etc etc. Being fastest and winning is all that matters in life, don't ya know.

In that sense they're no different to most people who take sport too seriously.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, as Alex says, taking themselves too seriously. It's a form of showing off, displaying how much better they are than ordinary mortals.

This isn't something that only appears in physical activity, it exists in a mental plane with the special words and language that many activities have, such as birdies, peleton, chicane, tic-tac, Sicilian, castling, tack, par, carom, silly-mid-on etc, all giving a perceived superiority over non-participants who can be treated with scorn if not knowing the "correct" term.

Clockwise

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 28, 2013
They're in their own world of pain and suffering which for some reason they seem to enjoy. Don't think they're out there for fun - more to prove things to themselves and each other. If you've got it in you to smile you're not working hard enough etc etc. Being fastest and winning is all that matters in life, don't ya know.

In that sense they're no different to most people who take sport too seriously.
Pretty much this but with added gurns.

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
If you've got it in you to smile you're not working hard enough
I think the smiling is a side effect of my arthritis, I've learnt to keep positive mindset and the pain is not real,
No but seriously, I use to feel sorry for myself a few years back, needing a stick while walking.
My Agattu got me back cycling and regular outings slowly increasing the miles now mean I can do 30+ miles on a non assisted bike and I keep a stick only for emergencies :)

Richard_M

Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2013
Ely, East Englia.
more to prove things to themselves and each other.
I think one of the secret pleasures of being an old git is the release from the pressure of ambition. When you're young, you're ambitious. Get on a bit and you're driven (but still a failure). Get to to be an old git and...you know. Other old gits I spot on the bikes give me a nod and a knowing look, and I love it. If we was born to change the world, we'd have done it by now. We still ride our bikes simply because it's rather nice.

fishingpaul

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2007
I can remember my last experience on a half decent normal pedal cycle,it was ok on the outward journey, but coming home up some nasty hills was hard work,and not at all enjoyable to the point that i did not want to even attempt doing it again,so bring on my electric bike and i actually do enjoy riding it up the same hills that seemed like torture before,so i kind of understand why the lycras look so unhappy,they probably have the latest phones and labour saving gadgets,but have spent about the same as a decent electric bike on something that is very light but bloody hard work uphill.

John F

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2013
Spot on re the hills. As an 67 year old git ebike owner of 2 months only, this is how I see things.

I ride my non electric bike at around 12mph say, and my Woosh at around 15: and that difference is important to be aware of when approaching corners faster.

On a recent ride in the country I was cruising along at 15 and smiling to myself on a lovely autumn day, when a non smiling grumpy looking lycra overtook me on a very expensive looking racing bike. He was doing I guess around 20 mph. After a while a longish moderate incline appeared, he proceeded to slow down to about 10 mph whilst wobbling from side to side, as you do when you are non electric, at which point I caught up with him still cruising at 15 mph. He did not look happy and proceeded to zoom of at high speed on the other side of the hill. "What's the point" I thought to myself!

What I have learnt is a big battery is essential (mine's 15 amp) It amazes me that so many ebikes, many of which are far more expensive than mine (who actually buys a £2K or £3K bike?) have only 10 amp batteries. And the reason is simple: I have found myself riding more times, and for longer distances than I ever thought I would when I bought the bike. How confident would I have been if I fancied say a 30 to 40 mile ride with a small battery?

billadie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2010
Tewkesbury
113394228_4a694ab70a.jpg

As my mother used to say " Strong wind and your face might stick like that".

grldtnr

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
south east Essex
As a former Lycra , I can say yes Flecc , there are some sportive cyclists that would sooner disappear up their own backside ,then show a sign of weakness at being overtaken by a leisure cyclist.

And yes you can be a leisure cyclist and be wearing lycra, I had upset many a sportive in my time just by riding them off my wheel into the wind!

The pain was part of the game , I accepted it , so should the lycra grumps too!

Last edited:

Advertisers