Is making a horse dance really an Olympic Sport?

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
They call it dressage, but it simply amounts to posh people on horseback making an animal dance for their own titillation.

How ever this cruelty found its way into the Olympics I will never understand. What next, Olympic bull fighting or badger-baiting?

Disgusting.

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
Yes.... and not only is it dancing, but its crap dancing. Its more like a funny walk.
Get these horses dancing properly, maybe a salsa, or even better breakdancing. A gurt big orse spinning on its head would be well deserving of a gold medal imo.

As for it being cruel ! Cant say i really care...... i find it hard to have any sympathy for an animal that looks like the hideously faced Sarah Jessica Parker.

D

Deleted member 4366

Extrapolating logically, you ask why they don't have flea circuses in the Olympics or those dancing dogs from Britain's Got Talent.

Another question. Why are professional golfers, footballers, tenis players, cyclists, gymnasts, etc allowed to participate, but not professional boxers?

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
It lasts far too long because it is jam-packed with stupid activities nowadays, euphemistically referred to as sport, that would never attract big crowds or fill stadiums on their own merits.:(

It was ok in the early days in Greece when it was all about running, throwing, lifting, jumping, wrestling and boxing........Oh!....and a bit of chariot racing. They managed to stretch it out to 4 days back then and I'd guess everybody had had their fill of it by then.:)

Don't be surprised if cribbage, dominoes, backgammon and tiddlywinks make an appearance before much longer.........maybe even an Olympic X-Factor or Bake-off?;)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/primaryhistory/ancient_greeks/the_olympic_games/

Tom

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Gotta agree though what a load of rubbish
But in saying that I think football is too.
Me too, but for saying so at school I had one of the older much taller kids approach me from behind and smash a housebrick down on my head.

He probably considered himself a sportsman.

Walking back into the school building witn blood gushing down all over my face and shirt did create quite a dramatic effect though!

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
Me too, but for saying so at school I had one of the older much taller kids approach me from behind and smash a housebrick down on my head.

Walking back into the school building witn blood gushing down all over my face and shirt did create quite a dramatic effect though!
Bit over the top isn't it !
But some of these dressage fans can be violent.

• :D
Reactions: LeighPing

paul20v

Pedelecer
Nov 18, 2015

Bloody hell
Talk about an over reaction.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
She rides at twice the height we do, yet still doesn't need a helmet. ;)

She'd be alright on the roads though, no driver would dare get near her riding like that, but I don't suppose the police would be impressed.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
When men were men, it all went down hill when the started with Brylcream.

Reactions: flecc

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Ah, Brylcream.....I remember that. I don't use it now but if I did it would just run off my shiny head into my eyes :(

Jim
A tanned shiny head in my case.

falmouthtony

Esteemed Pedelecer
They call it dressage, but it simply amounts to posh people on horseback making an animal dance for their own titillation.

How ever this cruelty found its way into the Olympics I will never understand. What next, Olympic bull fighting or badger-baiting?

Disgusting.
If dressage is 'cruel and disgusting', how do you classify the Grand National? Personally I would save the extreme language for that.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
If dressage is 'cruel and disgusting', how do you classify the Grand National? Personally I would save the extreme language for that.
I believe that dressage is a cruel and disgusting pass-time as is horse gambling (Grand National included).

What is clever about making a horse dance for food? If I went to Africa and brought a starving man back home and then made him dance for sausages, people would call me an ass-hole. But if Lady Cunty Twattingham-Smythe makes a horse dance for food, we hang a medal around her neck.

• Offensive Language
  • Agree
Reactions: SRS and flecc

Advertisers