Is the Activeline Plus motor waterproof?

D

Deleted member 25121

If that happened to me I’d ask Bosch formally if the motor develops a problem knowinit had been submerged for said time, would they honour the warranty.
Even if they bothered to respond I imagine the answer would contain many caveats concerning what contaminates the water contained, whether the motor had been left to dry out before use etc etc etc

Saudidave

Pedelecer
Dec 28, 2018
I enquired at the time. I rang Bosch in Germany and they assured me that if I had no error messages on the display then it would be OK. Apparently there is a sensor in the motor to detect moisture, just as there is in a mobile phone

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
I took the wheel in to a local Raleigh dealer, Woodsons in Edgeley, Stockport and Simon did a full oil service to it. It’s now as new so hopefully disaster has been averted.
Bought a couple of Raleigh bikes from there in the 70's both me and my brother had Raleigh Choppers from there!

Michael Price

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2018
I would advise everyone to be very careful with their home insurance regarding ebikes

I used to be insured with Tesco - I specifically checked that bikes were included but when I got suspicious a few months later I discovered that they cover bikes up to any value - but not ebikes not matter what the cost
so a £1500 road bike would have covered in the house/shed - but not my £780 ebike

Obviously I changed insurer when it expired - apparently Direct Line do not have such daft clauses!

Good luck to the OP in getting it sorted!

Saudidave

Pedelecer
Dec 28, 2018
Even if they bothered to respond I imagine the answer would contain many caveats concerning what contaminates the water contained, whether the motor had been left to dry out before use etc etc etc
This could be a huge problem cause by the flooding damage, and I am talking now more about your garage or home. You better pay much more attention to the house, and the damage caused by the water, because it could create you a real problem. You can read a lot of useful information from this article about a recent blog post on water damage restoration. For example, my brother had nearly the same story, his garage was flooded last year, but he was paying too much attention for his car and he forgot to take care about his garage. To be honest, the damage was not significant at the first sight, but he hadn't done anything for saving his garage at all. The problem was that the water destroyed the walls, and there was nothing possible to do to save the situation, so now he is rebuilding his garage and it will cost him much more money. So my advice is to try to solve the flooding issue as fast as you can, and try to remove and recover all the damages caused by the water.
Thankyou for your concerns however you appear to have no have no real construction knowledge and your response, whilst well meant is a little OTT. Your brothers house must have been in a poor state before the flood if water destroyed the wall. Water would only damage plaster, or timber by inducing dry rot. I am a building surveyor and a corporate member of the chartered institute of building. I survey houses for a living and have done for 49 years. My house is masonry construction and will will be fine when I put in a a new kitchen, repair a bit of plaster and redecorate it!

Last edited:

Saudidave

Pedelecer
Dec 28, 2018
Dave
What ever you decide is your choice. If that happened to me I’d ask Bosch formally if the motor develops a problem knowinit had been submerged for said time, would they honour the warranty.
Their response I feel would dictate what further action you need to adopt.
If Bosch won’t honour any warranty then an insurance claim for a new motor etc etc.
Thanks but the flood was 6 months ago and if you read the thread you will note that I did contact Bosch and listened to their advice. Others have advised me to strip the motor down which would void the warranty and there is a more hi tech solution - the engines have sensors to detect water!

D

Deleted member 25121

Thankyou for your concerns however you appear to have no have no real construction knowledge and your response, whilst well meant is a little OTT. I am a building surveyor and a corporate member of the chartered institute of building. I survey houses for a living and have done for 49 years. My house will be fine when I put in a a new kitchen and redecorate it!
I was referring to the electronics in the ebike, not the building.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the motors pcb/controller might have sensors on it but it wont detect any water getting in past the bearing seals but if the motor still feels smooth id not worry about it now.

the motors case does have a very thin seal around it and if that fails you soon know about it if it was under water
DSC_0114.JPGDSC_0115.JPG

D

Deleted member 25121

Apparently there is a sensor in the motor to detect moisture, just as there is in a mobile phone
Not sure what they were referring to there, some mobile phones have a paper strip inside that discolours when it gets wet and others, eg Samsung, are able to detect moisture on their USB charging port.
There doesn't appear to be a Bosch error code referring to moisture problems.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Not sure what they were referring to there, some mobile phones have a paper strip inside that discolours when it gets wet and others, eg Samsung, are able to detect moisture on their USB charging port.

code red warranty void put £1000 phone in bin and buy new one :p

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
That's the sort of thing, some are visible when the SIM is removed.
problem is those things can go off in humid environments and cause no corrosion at all yet it will void any warranty if the apple store opens any device and any of them are red its water damage and not even covered with the 12 month warranty.

Saudidave

Pedelecer
Dec 28, 2018
The guy at Bosch in Germany told me that there is a moisture sensor in the PCB and it will produce an error code on the display if the board is compromised. I refer to it at response 33 earlier in this topic.