Is the firmware on "New" version BBS01b controllers configurable?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Looks like I should buy a new controller - are these "New" versions able to be configured via the software tools available for Bafangs? Has anyone tried controllers of this type? Does anyone know where I can buy a replacement controller for the 36V BBS01b? Ebay doesn't seem to have them.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
They are still configurable using the programming software. The reason the 'B' version can't fit the BBS01 or BBS02 motor, is that a few years ago, Bafang changed the design of the controller casing.

Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
They are still configurable using the programming software. The reason the 'B' version can't fit the BBS01 or BBS02 motor, is that a few years ago, Bafang changed the design of the controller casing.
Thank you, that's good to know. I'm deliberating as to whether the controller is totally dead, but it all might be a complete waste of time trying to figure out then attempt to fix it. My own fault. Live and learn... I obviously need more practice with a soldering iron, before I do anything else!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Test the controller wiring with a meter.

RobAV

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 8, 2021
The new controllers are programable mine came with a 20amp controller in the 250watt motor and after a bit of tweeking to the parameters I managed to get the 250w up to 684w at 18amp. This was purely for a test, and its now at a safer 15amp but still pulls a healthy 570watts.

The controller codes are etched into the top of the case in newer BBS1/2 B's.

36v
250W C571-30-511
350W C571-30-513
500W C571-30-515

48v
500W C571-30-508(514)
750W C571-30-512

As mine came with a 20amp controller I'm guessing the actual physical controllers for the 250w and 350w are the same, and these codes are purely for the factory programming.

Heres the ebay.uk link

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
The new controllers are programable mine came with a 20amp controller in the 250watt motor and after a bit of tweeking to the parameters I managed to get the 250w up to 684w at 18amp. This was purely for a test, and its now at a safer 15amp but still pulls a healthy 570watts.

The controller codes are etched into the top of the case in newer BBS1/2 B's.

36v
250W C571-30-511
350W C571-30-513
500W C571-30-515

48v
500W C571-30-508(514)
750W C571-30-512

As mine came with a 20amp controller I'm guessing the actual physical controllers for the 250w and 350w are the same, and these codes are purely for the factory programming.

Heres the ebay.uk link

574W at 15A? Wow! Very interesting! What parameters did you change to get that, and what version of what software are you using? I think I've got Penoff's v1.1.

Did your controllers have the extra cable for 6v lights and gear sensor?

Were there any taxes/ extra charges? The controller codes were confusing, thank you for clarifying that - I assumed I'd have to inspect my motor case (or controller) minutely for matching codes or something. Or maybe I need to do that too.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
bafang mid crank system controller for replacement-Greenbikekit.com online store for e-bike battery, Bafang motor parts, e-bike kit-GreenBikeKit.com
£58.95 plus postage takes about 2 weeks to get here have purchased from green bike kit usually a very easy process
The controllers are potted with surface mount devices so repair is difficult replacement is the way to go
Thank you Peter, that's good to know. It's brilliant that Greenbike have a version with the gear sensor and light cable. I suppose it's Russian roulette as to whether I get stung with VAT and taxes, depending on how thoroughly imports are being inspected - it might even depend on what postal service you use. Were there any extra charges, and what postal service did you select?

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Test the controller wiring with a meter.
Yes Neal, I am going to have to remove it whether I replace or attempt a repair. Which parts should I apply the voltage meter to? I'm not great with electronics - I'm used to computers where you just throw whole cards in/ out of a PC case, if faulty, with no soldering necessary (or possible, or financially advisable, usually). It'd be wonderful if I could repair the faulty one, so that I have two working controllers - in case I manage to fry another one! (Which is likely) I found these videos on Youtube on how to remove the controller and replace:

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
For mosfets one tests without battery power, set the ohms setting to 20 or 200k. Test the low side apply the Black probe to Black battery feed wire on the controller and then Red in turn to the three phases, one should get three readings near exact the same should be around the 7 - 14k ohms mark. Also test the high side, Black probe on Red battery feed wire and Red probe to the phases again the three results should all be the same but not the same as the first three.

For Halls one needs the power connected (Switch the display on and set meter to 20v dc), probe the thin hall wire connector for 5v between Red/Black. One should see 5v.
Move the Red probe only to the three thin wires Blue,Green & Yellow, turn the cranks slowly backwards and the 5v should switch on/off or 5v - 0v - 5v.

• Informative
Reactions: awol and guerney

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
Mine arrived today order placed 19/09/21 had been reposted from a uk address/mail centre so no extra cost
Have always used the suggested post method on check out 10 to 14 days
PS Have attempted to remove the potting putty and gave up do not have the patience or steady enough hands any longer :rolleyes:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
When I tried to remove the potting it caused more damage so not worth it imho.

• Agree
Reactions: peter.c

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Mine arrived today order placed 19/09/21 had been reposted from a uk address/mail centre so no extra cost
Have always used the suggested post method on check out 10 to 14 days
PS Have attempted to remove the potting putty and gave up do not have the patience or steady enough hands any longer :rolleyes:
peter.c - is your Bafang motor now fully operational again?

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
Yes fully working but this is the second controller replacement this year not on the same bike one had a 30 error display comms problem old version pre 2016 and this one a speed sensor error 21h that would not clear but now works with the new controller

• Informative

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Yes fully working but this is the second controller replacement this year not on the same bike one had a 30 error display comms problem old version pre 2016 and this one a speed sensor error 21h that would not clear but now works with the new controller
That must have been very annoying. Two replacements? Is this your third controller? Where did you buy the duff ones from? Which motor do you have? I'm avoiding ordering a new controller until I'm certain that my soldering skills are much improved - I'd only be tempted to rush it again... sparks will fly :eek:

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
The older bbs02 2016 was purchased as new old stock[ cheap so no warranty] but had not had the newer modified fets and lost contact with the display. The later model 2020 also bbs02 from psw power had only done 100 odd miles but was over a year old suspect it is a dry joint [lead free solder] lost the 5v to the speed sensor when warm once it cooled down it worked again. Lucky to have 2 bikes so swapped parts to prove the fault
The swap is plug and play standard plug just solder the xt 60 to the battery cable then check the settings with the laptop to my personal settings both replacements from green bike kit second time was£5 cheaper

• Informative

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
The older bbs02 2016 was purchased as new old stock[ cheap so no warranty] but had not had the newer modified fets and lost contact with the display. The later model 2020 also bbs02 from psw power had only done 100 odd miles but was over a year old suspect it is a dry joint [lead free solder] lost the 5v to the speed sensor when warm once it cooled down it worked again. Lucky to have 2 bikes so swapped parts to prove the fault
The swap is plug and play standard plug just solder the xt 60 to the battery cable then check the settings with the laptop to my personal settings both replacements from green bike kit second time was£5 cheaper
Sounds like Green bike kit have good stock - but they look identical to the controllers Brighton ebikes are selling - theirs are delivered via Royal Mail first class. There's not much said on these forums about Brighton ebikes, or their controllers. I can't find the controllers on their website, but they say they are available for £102 delivered. They don't accept Paypal, which is worrying. I get the impression that their warranty may not be valid if I cut the connectors off to solder on the battery wires... evasive when I enquired.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
The extra cost puts me off and do not mind the 2 week wait , but if you can get the 36 v etm version from brighton e bikes you will be very happy with its legal extra torque power
PS not ever tried a warranty claim just get on with it [ if it was a tsdz2 it would be a constant email :eek::rolleyes: