Is there enough interest to arrange rallies country wide?

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Pedelecers all.

If The New Forest and the London Dome in October are successful in terms of visitors, we will certainly repeat them next year.

If you include Presteigne the south seems to be reasonably covered.

We would in 2008 be delighted to arrange another three or four rallies in the rest of the country, say Exmore, The Lake District, The Northumberland National Park and Loch Lomand and the Trossacks.

If anyone has any ideas for venues then let's explore!

It would be interesting to see if we could get enough local interest to run a full "The Sustainability Show" from these locations in the summer 2008. If anyone is unsure of what I mean by The Sustainability Show, log on to The Sustainability Show . The London O2 rally will take place on the Sunday of the show.

I believe there would be sufficient interest to hold a dozen or so rallies in 2008, what do you think? Would anyone out there be happy to help?

Best regards David

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
David

I'll only agree that the South is well covered when there's a venue with some real hills on which to ride the bikes.

Regents Park, The Dome and New Milton don't even begin to qualify.

There's no excuse for the industry to keep dodging this issue by choosing only flat locations, people buy these bikes to help them on hills, not so that they can help the bike get up the hill, something that's all too prevalent at the moment.

A bike which can't climb is a product not fit for purpose, so let's expose the ones that can't.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Agreed. Greenwich Park is a suitable venue, in this respect.

In the north, I vote for Hard Knott Pass :D
Yes, Greenwich Park would be a better choice than the Dome the other side of the river, just about enough to test hill climb ability.

Hard Knott Pass would wipe the lot out though. :D

Exmoor looks interesting, but I'm not sure if there'd be enough access from population centres for it, though at the height of the holiday season it might get good attendance from the North Devon coast holidaymakers making up numbers.

Going for holiday centres throughout the UK could be a good idea since it gathers in people from widely diverse areas where they might never get such a show in their home area.

Last edited:

Ian

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2007
Leicester LE4, UK.
How about the High Peak Trail in Derbyshire, it's a picturesque location in the middle of the country, it's got good hills - 3/4 mile of 12% and some lesser climbs as well as long straight and level sections and it's entirely traffic free. Minor roads in the immediate vicinity have even more challenging hills as well as welcoming watering holes.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
The O2

The O2 I agree is miles from any noticeable hill but we chose it for public transport links and the fact The Sustainability Show will attract people eager to find less environmentally damaging ways to propel themselves about.

I totally agree we should find some really testing sites, but let's have some fun too. :)

What we need is some venues that will get people to come along and have great day out, the idea of the rallies is to promote interest and awareness of electric bikes not purely as a testing ground.

Best regards David

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Great idea

How about the High Peak Trail in Derbyshire, it's a picturesque location in the middle of the country, it's got good hills - 3/4 mile of 12% and some lesser climbs as well as long straight and level sections and it's entirely traffic free. Minor roads in the immediate vicinity have even more challenging hills as well as welcoming watering holes.
Hi Ian and Flecc

What a great idea, is there a point that we could all meet anywhere on the trail and we could set up a small exhibition?

We are aiming for holiday destinations hence the use of national parks wherever possible, the idea would be that we would have a traveling show that would hold rallies each weekend in July and August. Commercially speaking we want to communicate with as many people as possible and the summer holiday season coupled with the national parks gives us a great opportunity to contact those who are also interested in outdoor pursuits and the environment.

Our problem is that we need to have an area where we can all set up our stalls , enough parking to accommodate those coming by car and near a rail link for those with a conscience!

Best regards David

Last edited:

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
If you thinking about the High Peak, then Glossop is a good starting point. I understand every year they have a 'fancy dress' weekend when the whole town dresses up in victorian clobber and they have stall and the like. Also its on the outskirts of Manchester, and borders the HighPeak (indeed the Trans Pennine Trail goes through it)

Potential...

Ian

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2007
Leicester LE4, UK.
John, the High Peak Trail goes NW for 17 miles from Cromford near Matlock to a point (A car park and Pub :) ) just off the A515 south of Buxton, the steep hills are at the Cromford end, unfortunately it's a long ride from Glossop. Quite handy for Stockport though ;)

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Glossop

Thanks guys, so Glossop looks like a good starting point. You also mention Matlock. Would Matlock be any better as I know it has they type of facilities we need?

Also we must run a circuit so we all end up back with our cars etc.

David

pgbw

Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2007
Buxton has train access and hills and all the facilities you could need, but the Pavillion facilities are heavily used - book early! There is a country park just south of Buxton which is more suitable for a venue, but I don't know how you'd book it.

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
John, the High Peak Trail goes NW for 17 miles from Cromford near Matlock to a point (A car park and Pub) just off the A515 south of Buxton, the steep hills are at the Cromford end, unfortunately it's a long ride from Glossop. Quite handy for Stockport though
Ian, I think you will find theres plenty of hills at the Glossop end too (according to a colleague that did the TPT going east), they said that the route up into Hadfield was very hard indeed, and lots of pubs too. :rolleyes: They have told me that theres some reservoirs along the route there which are good meeting places too.

Just trying to think of somewhere close enough to a major conurbation (Manchester) to attract a lot of interest. Matlock is a nice place, not sure how many would travel there for an e-bike event though. :confused:

I will try and find some suitable facilities and routes and if lucky I will post them, the more choices available to choose from the merrier :)

John