Is this a case of deja vu ?

geostorm

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 7, 2009
I have never seen a Tonaro CLOSE UP but in the photos the set up reminds me of the old TGA electrobike, of which i understand they used a Volvo truck windscreen wiper motor unit,.... just an observation comment, please accept as..

Ezee Forza

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
LOL....whats the matter geostorm.....disappointed when we didnt all jump the last time you posted this :)

Observation comment accepted dont worry, but may I suggest not even just looking at a Tonaro close up, but TRY one, you will see there is a huge difference......just my observation comment, please accept as .. :D

Lynda :)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The system layout is certainly the same, inline motor with bevel or worm drive onto a transverse shaft. This concept is a historical one now, only the Tonaro under its various names in different markets having it today. I think TGA were the first in the world with it decades ago, followed later by Yamaha, Aprilia and Oxygen between 1999 and 2002, after which transverse motors took over the market.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
I have always found that fact quite reassuring Flecc.... that something good has stood the test of time......I'm not really into the 'here today gone tomorrow' culture :)

( and before anyone tries to shoot me down in flames....I KNOW there are lots of good, indeed maybe better systems too....certainly more expensive.....but that just reinforces my belief that this system still has to be good to still be surviving in a fast moving market )

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Come on Lynda,
You tell them!
I cannot understand the predjudice against Tonaros. Nobody on here who owns one has ever complained about them.....unlike some other makes that get lots of praise.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
You know Mike....neither have I......I find it really strange.

Now I know some prejudice is fuelled by a certain section who cant see past their own a***, have lots of money and seem to believe that more money always equals better.....whereas the majority of sensible people know that is not always true and dont subscribe to the expensive hype sometimes involved.

Im sure there are a lot of us who could maybe afford to pay more IF we wanted to but if satisfied with what we have....why would we ?

I also know and accept that there are probably quite a few expensive bikes that I would like if I tried them but I am more than happy with mine for now.

I wouldnt dream of deriding people for their choice of bike, whatever it may be, I think its the height of bad taste and bad manners to do so and I am thankful that I was brought up and educated better.

The point is the Tonaro is doing exactly what its owners want from it at a reasonable price and with a reasonable quality.

So why the ridiculous verbal abuse.....I dont know.....when I am feeling bored I sometimes ponder on the possible reasons for it.....chip on shoulder ? lack of self confidence ? a desire to inflame ? jealousy ? bad manners ? unhappy ? or just sheer bloody mindedness...who knows...who cares......their loss :D

( I will add geostorm that no way is this directed your way, I accept your comment totally.....its your opinion and you certainly havent been abusive )

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Well said Lynda,
It's like my little sailing dinghy. I have owned her for 30 years and restored her more than once. She is slow, not very good in strong winds and looks very old.
But she suits me down to the ground. I have tried better boats but always come back to her.
So it is with my Tonaro.
This morning, I went up to the village pond to feed the ducks. My legs and hips were not too good so I motored there and back. The only time I pedalled was to change the gears because there is less of a clunk that way.
By the way, I am sitting here typing on a computer made in China, as were my shoes, socks, trousers, belt, shirt etc.
Nevertheless, you sometimes see advertisers trying to flog tat describing it as 'better than Chinese made rubbish'

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I think a major reason for the Tonaro being liked is that it has a throttle, making it more flexible and adaptable than all the other crank drives. It helps that it has been much more affordable than the others, though that is changing with the price gap narrowing markedly in some cases.

The important thing is whether they suit what owners want, and that is something I very much understand. I own two cars which are not rated very highly in their respective classes, despite my being able to afford the "best" in each class. I bought them both because they exactly fit what I need from them, in ways that the "best" options don't. There's a bonus too, anyone seeing the larger one of the two may never see another again, since there were less than 400 in the whole of the UK when I bought it so very exclusive. It's a feel good factor to have something different from all the common brands that clutter our roads.

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
I have never seen a Tonaro CLOSE UP but in the photos the set up reminds me of the old TGA electrobike, of which i understand they used a Volvo truck windscreen wiper motor unit,.... just an observation comment, please accept as..
Now that's an idea :)

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
I looked at the Tonaro before I bought my Freego. Unfortunately I was not able to get for a test ride. Wish I could have. Really liked the looks of the bikes. Seems to me to be a good value bike that does what it says on the tin. Maybe the guys from Powerpedals should be on here to defend their product and service.

gray

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Maybe gray, but maybe they dont need to defend their product and service......word of mouth praise from many satisfied customers is worth sooo much more in my opinion.;)

lynda :)

geostorm

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 7, 2009
Thank you Lynda and all freinds , for your responses the reason i reposted because i thought i had missed the boat, and still awaiting the answer of what motor is used to drive crank.

and flecc i am intrigued by this mystery car, something from Austin Rover or Vauxhall maybe even Ford They all could fit the bill...

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
You know geostorm , I was just thinking the same thing......come on Flecc.....spit it out.....what car is it ?
( he loves to tease and keep us guessing lol )

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It's the SZ5 version of the SX4 that Magyar-Suzuki make. There's a few SX4s around, a crossover hatch two wheel drive car, though not often seen, but the higher mounted 4 wheel drive SZ5 version is made to special order only. I waited 4 months for mine to be slotted into the production schedule in Hungary. It's my latest version that is the most rare as there's so much competition in that sector, the Qashqai being the most popular. I had a Qashqai but didn't like some of its design, and their 4 wheel drive version isn't the real thing, no locked mode. So out it went for the SZ5.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Regarding the Tonaro motor, I don't know if it is based on a Volvo truck wiper motor which would probably be only 24v or even 12 v.
Having said that, Volvo are held in high regard and there would be nothing wrong with their motor. Electric motors have been around a long time now and are well understood in all their different forms
I also own an electric boat. There are similar discussions in that world as well. Most of the electric outboards are simple 12 or 24volt motors, but for serious work, Lynch pancake motors are considered to be serious contenders running at 72 volts or above.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Hi Tony sounds nice , interesting how Hungary is becoming busy in car production.
Yes, they have been producing for Fiat as well as Suzuki in the past, the SX4 being previously sold as the Fiat Sedici. Volkswagen are now considering selling Suzuki's SX4 in it's 4 wheel drive version badged as the VW Fourtran model as they don't have a 4WD in that segment, but no final decision yet.