Is this any good ?

Banksy

Just Joined
Oct 25, 2019
Lymm
Hello good people with E-bike knowledge !
Is this decent spec/good price/ok for a big lump !

D

Deleted member 25121

It's a converted push bike with a home made battery pack and unknown motor, I personally wouldn't touch it with a barge pole and the asking price of £1300 is surely a joke.

Note that it's illegal to ride this bike on UK public roads, tracks and paths.

Banksy

Just Joined
Oct 25, 2019
Lymm
It's a converted push bike with a home made battery pack and unknown motor, I personally wouldn't touch it with a barge pole and the asking price of £1300 is surely a joke.

Note that it's illegal to ride this bike on UK public roads, tracks and paths.
Thank you
I’m learning what’s what

Reactions: ebiker99

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
It looks quite well put together to me apart from the motor wire should go down before going back up. The price is about right for something like that. It's not legal.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
I also wouldn't touch it just because of the battery. Second hand batteries are too risky for me. Especially when it is making up most of the bike costs

But I've seen these done much worse. This at least has a 4 piston front saint's and rear slx with large rotors. There is one done with a front conversion on aluminium forks with no torque arms and cheap rim brakes on my local classifieds! Death trap

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I also wouldn't touch it just because of the battery. Second hand batteries are too risky for me. Especially when it is making up most of the bike costs

But I've seen these done much worse. This at least has a 4 piston front saint's and rear slx with large rotors. There is one done with a front conversion on aluminium forks with no torque arms and cheap rim brakes on my local classifieds! Death trap
A donor bike like that is going to cost around £1000 or even more with the upgraded brakes. Add £100 for the motor and controller, and that leaves £200 for the battery, which would have been around £500 new without the case. If it's half knackered, that's still a fair price.

If I were looking for a bike like that, I think I would be tempted. It would save a lot of messing about doing the conversion.

You can buy a new 1000w bike without rear suspension from Hammer ebikes for £1349, though you need the £119 brake upgrade.

My advice would be not to get one of these bikes unless you're sure that you can ride it at 25+ mph for a long time without drawing any attention to yourself. Even if you pass that requirement, you'll soon find that it'll bring many other problems that makes riding it it not very pleasant. 20 to 22 mph is a nice maximum speed for a bicycle. If you want 30 mph or more, get a motorbike.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
A donor bike like that is going to cost around £1000 or even more with the upgraded brakes. Add £100 for the motor and controller, and that leaves £200 for the battery, which would have been around £500 new without the case. If it's half knackered, that's still a fair price.

If I were looking for a bike like that, I think I would be tempted. It would save a lot of messing about doing the conversion.

You can buy a new 1000w bike without rear suspension from Hammer ebikes for £1349, though you need the £119 brake upgrade.

My advice would be not to get one of these bikes unless you're sure that you can ride it at 25+ mph for a long time without drawing any attention to yourself. Even if you pass that requirement, you'll soon find that it'll bring many other problems that makes riding it it not very pleasant. 20 to 22 mph is a nice maximum speed for a bicycle. If you want 30 mph or more, get a motorbike.
Don't disagree with any of that!

It's just a personal thing. Maybe I've had a run of bad luck. For me second hand batteries have never been a good experience no matter the sellers say/belive

Reactions: ebiker99