Is this kit any good

lanerboy

Pedelecer
Sep 2, 2016
midlands
Hi All

Will this kit I have put together work ok will all the connectors fit together (sorry for asking what some may seem silly questions)

https://bmsbattery.com/ebike-kit/615-q100c-cst-36v350w-rear-e-bike-kit-with-led-meter-ebike-kit.html

https://bmsbattery.com/ebike-battery/781-36v145ah-case-02-panasonic-battery-pack-battery.html

I want a kit that will be rear wheel drive and fit in a pannier over the back wheel of my wife's bike, if this is not the right set up could someone post a couple of links from that site with what I would be better buying

I personally would like it to be rear wheel drive as I just have a hunch this will be more stable and less likely to wash out on a bend but if I am wrong please tell me so and if front wheel drive will be better please say so

Thanks

LB

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Same kit a bit cheaper, don't forget to allow up to or about £60ish for import duties and handling fee from FedEx on top of the order.
https://bmsbattery.com/ebike-kit/426-q100-36v250w-350w-rear-e-bike-kit-with-led-meter-ebike-kit.html
The kit you have selected is for a cassette gear wheel usually for 9 or 10 speed. How many gears does your wife's cassette have if less then you need the freewheel Q100h.
All the connectors will fit together as it is an all in one kit but there will be a birds nest of wiring with multiple connectors. WIth the battery over the rear wheel as well it will be rear end heavy and more so if the bikes panniers are filled with shopping. What is your wife going to be using the bike for and the type of bike she has.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: LeighPing
D

Deleted member 4366

A couple of things. I think that the battery doesn't come with a matching connector, so you'll need to do a bit of soldering.

The kit you mentioned is the cassette version. Unless the bike has cassette (free-hub) gears, you'll have to buy one. IIRC, More than 7-speed requires an extra washer on the axle. The motor comes in two flavours: 201 RPM maxes out at about 19 mph; 328RPM maxes out at about 27 mph. Only get the 328rpm if the bike has 20" wheels or smaller, or if the rider and bike are very light, otherwise get the 201 RPM.

The kit that neal mentioned is the freewheel version for freewheel gears. For that one, you need to buy a DNP gearset with 11 tooth top gear unless you don't want to pedal past 15 mph.

The Q100H comes in 260 RPM version. It's a freewheel motor like the Q100, so you need a DNP gearset to go with it. It maxes out at about 23 mph, so is good for pedalling around 20 mph.

lanerboy

Pedelecer
Sep 2, 2016
midlands
Hi Nealh

Thanks for the reply, my wife will be using the bike when we go away in our motorhome for getting around once we are on site so could do with a decent kit with 50 mile range if possible 30 miles may do at a push.

The bike has 7 gears and is not a cassette type rear cassette but the other type not sure what you call it it threads onto the wheel, I will buy a cassette for £15 though if required

The bike is a step through mountain bike with 26 inch wheels made by Giant, I have fitted an Oxydrive kit on it at the minute but she doesn't like the battery on the frame she struggles to get her leg through now its fitted so I am fitting that to my Scott mountain bike, she really wants a rear pannier type battery pack so would she be better with a front wheel drive kit but I am worried about the way this may feel to her as she has not really ridden a bike much due to a bad knee, we would not be filling any panniers up with stuff we would only fit the pannier rack to contain the battery nothing else

Thanks Again

LB

lanerboy

Pedelecer
Sep 2, 2016
midlands
Cheers d8veh 20mph is plenty she will be more than comfortable at 15mph max too be honest so will just set the pas at a lower setting for her

Thanks

LB

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
You will really need to get the freewheel Q100 or Q100H version for 7 spd, however if you get the c version as you say you will have to get a 9sp cassette and a new 9spd gear shifter to index the gears correctly. The controller can theorectically live in the pannier with the wiring.

Looking at it I can't see a 100H kit but you could go this way but a bit more expensive though the wiring would be neater and you get a nice lcd readout which gives mph, trip distance and odometer and a few other readouts plus 5 assist levels.
https://bmsbattery.com/ebike-kit/633-q100h-36v350w-rear-e-bike-motor-wheel-ebike-kit.html
https://bmsbattery.com/controller/698-sine-wave-controller-for-09-case-controller.html

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Forget about front wheel drive with a rear pannier battery as the weight is shifted back the front will be lighter and scrabble for grip in the wet or on the loose and even worse combining any of those conditions up hill.
Your original choice is £478 delivered plus approx £60 give or take duties on top.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I was going to put a link up for the oxy kit however both options are out of stock.

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
Oxydrive do a kit exactly what you want. It's plug and play with full backup. Quite cheap too at £500. Front-wheel motor would be OK at that power.
I have this kit on one of my 2 bikes. I think that it's great. Here's a few videos of it to support the recommendations. :)

lanerboy

Pedelecer
Sep 2, 2016
midlands
Spoke to Andrew at oxydrive and he does not know if he is getting any more of the kits with the rear pannier battery hence me looking else where

Cheers LB

• Informative

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Ordering from BMSB is straight forward and once a confirmation mail is received as shipped my couple of deliveries have arrived about 4 days later, just order the correct stuff as returning is probably expensive and time consuming.

• Informative

lanerboy

Pedelecer
Sep 2, 2016
midlands
If I buy the kit put together below comes out at £647 then I need to pay import duty on the wheel motor the duty on the battery is inc so this may come out at around £700 whats your thoughts on the cost of this kit for what I am getting

https://bmsbattery.com/ebike-kit/633-q100h-36v350w-rear-e-bike-motor-wheel-ebike-kit.html

https://bmsbattery.com/controller/698-sine-wave-controller-for-09-case-controller.html

https://bmsbattery.com/ebike-battery/781-36v145ah-case-02-panasonic-battery-pack-battery.html

cheers LB

D

Deleted member 4366

It's a good kit, but it works out quite expensive considering a couple of weeks ago, you buy a complete bike with hydraulic brakes from Halfords for the same price.

• Agree

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
How do you get £647, those 3 items comes to £513.72 inc delivery when I put them in my basket, the killer is the weight and the battery but you are getting nice Panasonic cells. Just a shame there not available over here.
76.39 + 66.34 +227.99.143 delivery = 513.72.
With that set up it has an internal speed sensor so no extra connection or spoke magnet/sensor.

Second thoughts have a word with Woosh bikes and see if they have a rear rack and battery to sell you then the other two will be cheaper and less duty.

Last edited:
  • Informative

lanerboy

Pedelecer
Sep 2, 2016
midlands
Had a PDF back from them and it is as follows

wheel and hub $100

sine wave controller $86

battery throttle rack etc $375

fedex delivery $300 inc the duty paid on the battery BUT NOT the wheel motor

total $861 dollars then need to pay duty on motor to UK customs

This is a bit more than I wanted to pay too be honest but struggling to find a decent kit for a rear pannier system at the right money

Wish I could make my Oxydrive bottle type battery kit fit on the pannier rack but wires are too short

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
if you are willing to compromise as you sound like you are by fitting a 09 type battery on the pannier rack then just order the motor wheel and controller kit from them and get the 09 battery from over here, try Woosh or Eclipse. The controller kit has ample wiring though you may have to extend the battery feed a little but that is only 2 wires and an easy job.

• Informative