Is this the right price for a used eMTB?

Buy it?

• Great deal!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It's alrite

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Nooooo

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

stringsonfire

Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2019
Lbs selling a used bike on behalf of one of their very long term customers. Has done around 3000 miles on treks and trails, but no hardcore mountain biking, as the owner is ill, and has now replaced it with a trike. That seems like a lot of miles? Not sure how that affects the battery. Haven't bought a used bike before (or an eBike), so not entirely sure on this, though enjoyed riding it. Has electric rear shock, haven't seen that before.

Haibike SDuro AllMtn Pro 2016 for £1600

Yamaha 36 Volt 250 Watt Motor and Display. 80Nm
Lithium Ion 36 Volt 400 Watt Lithium Ion Battery
Brakes Front: Shimano Deore XT M785, Ice-Tech, Hydraulic Disc Brake, 203mm | Rear: Shimano Deore XT M785, Ice-Tech, Hydraulic Disc Brake, 180mm
Cassette: Shimano Deore XT M771, 11-36 10 Speed
Chain: KMC X10e
Crankset: sDuro Alu
Fork: Rock Shox Pike RC, Dual Position, 120-150mm Tapered Travel
Fram:e Aluminium 6061, 27.5", All MNT, 4-Link System, Yamaha-Interface, Hydroforced Tubes, 150mm
Handlebar: Owner fitted MonkeyLite carbon handle bar
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Deore XT M786 Shadow Plus, 20 Speed
Rear Shock: Rock Shox Monarch Relay e.i Auto, Electronic Intelligence
Saddle: Fi'Zi:K Gobi M7
Shift Levers: Shimano Deore XT SL-M 780 Rapidfire, I-Spec
Tyres: Mavic Crossmax Quest, 27.5 x 2.4 - may have been changed, will need to check

I've also been told the Merida eOneSixty 800 that I've also been looking at is about the same sort of level, and will be coming down to nearer £3k as it goes on clearance - that's still double the money, but it'd be brand new with a warranty...

Thanks!

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
There’s a formula for working out secondhand prices around here somewhere, it won’t be long before someone pops it up.
In the mean time it’s worth considering the battery replacement costs as the capacity reduces not only with usage but also with age, also 400Wh was once top spec but not anymore, 500wh is this years standard and will soon become old news as next years models could be 600wh or more.
Then there’s the 3 year manufacturers warranty that’s just ended !

stringsonfire

Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2019
Thanks, found it, guess it's this one.

Looks like the bike was £4700 new. I found it at it's final clearance price online at £3000. I know this bike was bought when it was reduced for the new models, so I'm not sure what price to go with. I guess the latter, given that's where the comparable Merida now is?

A replacement battery is £692 for the Yamaha 400wh, but as the bike must be three years old now, the formula values that at zero.

The rest of the bike would then have depreciated 45%, making it worth £2200 based on an original price of £4.7k, or £1,265 based on an original £3k price.

I'm worried about that battery though - that is an expensive part. I wouldn't want to pay £700 on top of £1600 when I could put it towards a new bike. Maybe I should rule this out, given the mileage it's done?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The bike milage isn't so important it's the battery age that is and at 3 years old it will at some stage start to loose capacity any time in to the future if not already.
If you know he bought it at the final clearance price then that is it's base value for a valuation minus new battery cost, also ii no warranty and it develops a motor issue then it's a job for 'The Bearingman' of this forum.

MarcusT

Pedelecer
May 5, 2019
NE Italy
If the bike is good condition, the components are top notch so the price is not bad. Checking the battery is easy enough, but even it is on it's last legs, I do not believe will find a better bargain.
I guess, choose what you feel the most comfortable with

stringsonfire

Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2019
If the bike is good condition, the components are top notch so the price is not bad. Checking the battery is easy enough, but even it is on it's last legs, I do not believe will find a better bargain.
I guess, choose what you feel the most comfortable with
It's been well looked after, but also well used. Battery replacement is a given, and if I have to replace the motor as well I'll regret buying it. I'm not really sure how many years/miles these motors last.

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
Although a much cheaper and lower specification Haibike I have the same battery and probably very similar motor.

I bought my bike in March 2015 and use it to commute to work and back so the mileage may be higher than some others.

My battery is the original 400Wh one that came with the bike so is now around four years and four months old. I used my bike yesterday and used 23% of the batteries capacity for my fourteen mile mostly cross country ride to work and around 37% for my 10 mile faster road ride home. I have completed 11,206 miles on the bike.

So IF the battery has been well looked after it can last a long time. It is very expensive to replace but other members on the forum say that it can now be re-celled though I have not read a thread from someone who has done it.

https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/haibike-sduro-hardseven-sl-2015-yamaha-7-month-1600-miles.22644/page-8

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Jimmy can certainly recell the early Bosch,Yam batteries.
My brother had his done 2 -3 year ago after it wained on his S-ped bike.

stringsonfire

Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2019
I'll give him a call then. Would feel a bit better about it if I knew more about the motor - can it be replaced if it breaks, how much would it cost, what's the expected life on it, etc

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: LeighPing

Steve Dyson

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2018
I wouldnt pay that much for a 2nd hand bike, i have built 3 with high power motors 1500W and 30 Ah batteries for less than £500 and sold 2 of them for £700 each

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I wouldnt pay that much for a 2nd hand bike, i have built 3 with high power motors 1500W and 30 Ah batteries for less than £500 and sold 2 of them for £700 each
your battery weighs half the whole SDuro AllMtn Pro and the motor nearly the other half!

Reactions: chris_n