Issue with my bike

Anthony Griffiths

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 3, 2015
North wales
I have been using my electric pedal assisted bike to travel to and from work (4.5 miles each way) but yesterday on the way home, the chain by the pedals cam off, i put it back on without a problem of course. BUT when i began to pedal again, i noticed the motor wouldn't activate. (You know, the whole pedal assisted.) i turned it off by the button on the handle bar and continued to pedal home. I got home and turned the bike upside down to check ti out, and as far as i can tell, nothing has snapped or fallen off.
Has anyone else had this issue, or have any idea how to fix it? :/ i have not had the bike that long as i bought it second hand off a friend. And he has no idea what the issue could be,

Wander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2013
You might find it that forum members may be able to help if you give the make & model of the bike.

Possibly a Cyclamatic from your picture?

Kuorider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2014
You have probably just knocked the sensor disc out of line. Look behind the chainwheel for a black plastic disc with silver dots and make sure that it is running true and as close as possible to the sensor (the little pad with a wire )
Press it carefully back in to place, it grips the pedal shaft between the chainwheel and where the shaft enters the bottom bracket and is easily moved.
If it is broken or missing post back here for info on replacing it.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
I have been using my electric pedal assisted bike to travel to and from work (4.5 miles each way) but yesterday on the way home, the chain by the pedals cam off, i put it back on without a problem of course. BUT when i began to pedal again, i noticed the motor wouldn't activate. (You know, the whole pedal assisted.) i turned it off by the button on the handle bar and continued to pedal home. I got home and turned the bike upside down to check ti out, and as far as i can tell, nothing has snapped or fallen off.
Has anyone else had this issue, or have any idea how to fix it? :/ i have not had the bike that long as i bought it second hand off a friend. And he has no idea what the issue could be,
If it is a Cyclamatic, is the throttle still working?

Anthony Griffiths

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 3, 2015
North wales
You have probably just knocked the sensor disc out of line. Look behind the chainwheel for a black plastic disc with silver dots and make sure that it is running true and as close as possible to the sensor (the little pad with a wire )
Press it carefully back in to place, it grips the pedal shaft between the chainwheel and where the shaft enters the bottom bracket and is easily moved.
If it is broken or missing post back here for info on replacing it.

I just checked, and as far as i can tell the only loose part is on the other pedal, but that has been loose since i bought the bike. And didn't affect anything, i checked the other pedal and nothing is loose. :/

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
As d8veh suggests, It can only be the pedal sensor if the throttle is working.

I can't remember from when I had a Cyclamatic, but if the pedal sensor wire to the controller is exposed, then maybe the wire has been damaged when the chain came off, or the connector has been yanked out of its housing at the controller end.

Advertisers