It finally happened - lifeless Puma

Northern Irelander

Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2009
I've been meaning to get round to posting for sometime, but the little Powacycle motor has become lifeless.

It happened with serious pedalling up a very steep hill, the motor just gave up and no power since.

The battery is still strong, and the motor seems very notchy when wheeled backwards.

Does anyone know where to start with the multi meter and back probe a few wires.

Waiting patiently and relying on sheer human pedal power until I can get this fired up again

thanks

NI

D

Deleted member 4366

I've been meaning to get round to posting for sometime, but the little Powacycle motor has become lifeless.

It happened with serious pedalling up a very steep hill, the motor just gave up and no power since.

The battery is still strong, and the motor seems very notchy when wheeled backwards.

Does anyone know where to start with the multi meter and back probe a few wires.

Waiting patiently and relying on sheer human pedal power until I can get this fired up again

thanks

NI
Unfortunately, it's not easy to diagnose this sort of problem. It could be the motor, the wiring or the controller. The easy thing to check is the motor wires. Follow them out of the motor all the way to the controlier. Check for damage, where they come out of the motor and anywhere else where they might have got chafed. Finally check that the connection to the controller is tight. If you have bullet connectors, pull them out, give the barrels a squeeze to make them nice and tight, then reconnect. Some bikes have an additional connector near the motor. Check that one too if you have it.

If that doesn't solve anything, you need one of these to check the motor and controller, which should isolate the problem. A voltmeter isn't much good for checking this sort of problem. You can check continuity from one phase wire to the next, and check no continuity between each phase wire and the motor case, but I'd be surprised if you found a problem:
24V/36V/48V/60V E-bike Brushless Motor Controler Tester | eBay

Last edited by a moderator:

Advertisers