It was alright when I last looked at it, honest, Officer....

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
Fortunately I had a nearly new Schwalbe MP sitting in the wings. This one lasted around 2700 miles, give or take. Just swapped it, took all of five minutes, and if I can do it with one hand, I really don't know why people struggle so much with fitting MP's.

Gaz

Attachments

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
Not all rims are created equal.
Mine's obviously become loose and pliable over the passage of time, with perhaps a marginal difference in rim circumference :oops:

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
According to a certain other prominent pedelec member MP should be able to travel an order of magnitude further than you achieved. The truth is out there, just not as we know it Jim.

The rear tyre is obviously going to wear out quicker than the front.

I put Schwalbe Smart Sam Plus tyres on my crank drive and got a scary side wall failure blow out puncture on my rear tyre at 3800 miles. I thought I was probably at fault for not changing it sooner and replaced it like with like.

However after that first side wall failure puncture I kept an eye on the replacement tyre and noticed the side wall starting to deteriorate on that one.

I think Schwalbe have since changed the design but I am not sure, so hopefully the side wall issue may have been resolved.

After that I changed brands to Specialized Crossroads Armadillo 650B 27.6” Wired Clincher Tyres in 1.9” width. They have covered 3188 miles since I put them on, on 5th January 2017 and are very tough and look like they can last a lot longer. More wear apparent on the rear than the front as you would expect. Fantastic protection and no punctures.

They are a classic compromise and more road orientated than I would like but with the miles I do on the road mountain bike tyres would wear out in no time and after getting used to them I have learnt that they are more effective than I had first thought they would be off road.

D

Deleted member 4366

Fortunately I had a nearly new Schwalbe MP sitting in the wings. This one lasted around 2700 miles, give or take. Just swapped it, took all of five minutes, and if I can do it with one hand, I really don't know why people struggle so much with fitting MP's.

Gaz
When you can fit an MP to a 16" Brompton Sun CR18 rim with your bare hands, I'll personally send you a gold medal and worship you for the rest of my life.

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
When you can fit an MP to a 16" Brompton Sun CR18 rim with your bare hands, I'll personally send you a gold medal and worship you for the rest of my life.
Oooh, I like a challenge - gauntlet accepted! :D

Edit: Except, would you mind if I did it single handed? - my right hand doesn't work.

Gaz