italwin electric bike hub motor noise

cb26bike

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 21, 2019
i have a italic tommy lux which seems to be an italian make but cannot find any info on it. It has a problem, on starting up the hub motor makes a series of noises which resemble a hammer hitting a concrete slab every few seconds or so. The motor acts as if it tries starting, eventually starting up quietly and smooth riding for a few seconds until it starts again. Tried lifting it up, same thing, battries check out ok, throttle checks out ok, its apparent its becoming a hub issue.
The only other thing is that with the hammering noice, the axle seems to jump at the same time as the noise.
Ive yet to open the hub but wondering if anyone have an idea whay it could be ? its an old bike with servo brakes.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
You can test everything without opening the motor, and it's not very likely that the cause is inside the motor. Do you have a multimeter. You most likely won't be able to solve the problem without one.

In the meantime, have a close look at any connectors on the motor cable all the way to the motor controller. If you have the 9-pin cylindrical connector about 300mm from the motor, check that it's all the way in as far as the line marked on it.

Typical causes are:
Bad connections
Blown mosfets in the controller
Nicked motor wires
Water in the motor
Faulty hall sensors in the motor

cb26bike

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 21, 2019
You can test everything without opening the motor, and it's not very likely that the cause is inside the motor. Do you have a multimeter. You most likely won't be able to solve the problem without one.

In the meantime, have a close look at any connectors on the motor cable all the way to the motor controller. If you have the 9-pin cylindrical connector about 300mm from the motor, check that it's all the way in as far as the line marked on it.

Typical causes are:
Bad connections
Blown mosfets in the controller
Nicked motor wires
Water in the motor
Faulty hall sensors in the motor
Hi there,

many thanks for the response. So i opened up the controller to check for any damage but all looked ok. Closed the controller back up and decided to check the hub by opening it up completely. Prior to this i also checked the throttle and the battery which both checked out ok. Before i decided to open the hub i tried it out again to pinpoint problem.
Soon as i got on the bike, pressed the throttle, it allstarting working again, no noise, motor kicked it continuesly, went up the hill smoothly and very quietly.
Iv left it for now to try in a while but what could it have been ? could it have been as simple as opening the controller and shut it again ? Even tho its working id like to pinpoint the issue juts in case it starts up again.

Advertisers