I've resigned.

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
OK, I've resigned from my job and I oficially finished today. Hopefully this will mean I get lots more miles in on my bikes. I've been challenged to a 45 mile ride on a non electric bike :( in the summer and have no excuse since I've now got plenty of time on my hands.

Anyway, happy new year to us all.

D

Deleted member 4366

Join the club. I hope it was a happy occasion. Wishing you many happy new years.

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
Jimod. Why did you resign? Perhaps you have a new job with less hours, or you are near retirement age? Perhaps you plan to work for yourself? Whatever you have chosen to do I wish you good luck. Before I retired, my happiest years were working for myself. Happy biking.

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
Jimod. Why did you resign.
Well I'm 57 and have worked for 41 years. I decided to take my pension and go. I may or may not work again, time will tell. In the meantime, I'm going to see how many miles I can clock up on my bikes. Hopefully the spring and summer will be kind to me.

Ironically, I've been offered 2 jobs in the last fortnight. I resisted, I'm going to try retirement. My wife reckons I'll be back working by the summer, if I am it better be some place I can cycle to.

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
You enjoy it,
I retired 14 years ago and have never regretted a moment of it.
People say "dont you get bored" but to be honest I never have enough time in the day to do what I want.
I do find that I have slowed down a bit now as I had a building firm before I retired that kept me fit but now ,at the grand old age of 55(yes,I was 41 when I retired), I find that I cant push a barrow as far as I used to ,or dig as much as I used to.
I did get an allotment after I retired but now the boys are older they wont eat much veg anymore and it became a pointless exercise growing the stuff.
I took up e-biking 2 years ago as a way of getting fit again after buying a normal bike then realising I was knackered after the first mile!
The answer was an e-bike,not for assistance but to get me back home when I ran out of puff.
I am getting fitter now and have started using my old pushbike a bit but with the invention of the BBS02 I find I can easily ride 50 mile in a day and my goal for this summer is to get from home to Whitby via Sustrans route 165,a distance of 77 miles.

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
Perhaps we could follow National Cycle Route 1 and meet up half way?
Apparently it will only take us 9 hours and 25 minutes! Lol

Reactions: Jimod and flecc

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
Perhaps we could follow National Cycle Route 1 and meet up half way?
Apparently it will only take us 9 hours and 25 minutes!

I'll derestrict the Typhoon and get there quicker. First though, I'd better phone Kudos Dave and buy half a dozen spare batteries. ;)

Reactions: Kinninvie

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
You enjoy it,
I retired 14 years ago and have never regretted a moment of it.
People say "dont you get bored" but to be honest I never have enough time in the day to do what I want.
I do find that I have slowed down a bit now as I had a building firm before I retired that kept me fit but now ,at the grand old age of 55(yes,I was 41 when I retired).
You retired at 41? You sir, are my hero. I always said people should retire when they can. There's more to life than working. I was also told I'd get bored. My working pattern was 7 days and 7 nights in a 35 day pattern. I had 21 days off in those 35 days. I was never ever so bored that I thought about going out to work.

Reactions: timidtom and flecc

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
You retired at 41? You sir, are my hero. I always said people should retire when they can. There's more to life than working. I was also told I'd get bored. My working pattern was 7 days and 7 nights in a 35 day pattern. I had 21 days off in those 35 days. I was never ever so bored that I thought about going out to work.
I have disabled twin boys(Angelmans syndrome) so retired when the wife could no longer manage them on her own.
Luckily we live on a farm(no land but lots of buildings) so I have plenty of room to indulge in various hobbies and tend to fund most things via ebay.
You should not need many batteries because its downhill from Scotland isn't it?
I used to live near Berwick so I can do the big half of the journey..
Perhaps you should use some of your new found freedom to build youself a long distance e-bike.

Reactions: timidtom

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
I used to live near Berwick so I can do the big half of the journey..
Perhaps you should use some of your new found freedom to build youself a long distance e-bike.
A long distance ebike is what I'd prefer over a fast ebike. Now that I've got time I might have a look.

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
I love my BBS02 750W.
It looks exactly like the 250W model so not a problem with plod.
It can be geared to any speed you like and if you keep it to 20MPH MAX on a 7 speed bike it will climb mountains.
I can get 50 miles out of a 16Ah battery.
Fast ,I find is not enjoyable on a pushbike because around 20Mph the wind resistance really kicks in so I try to keep between 13 and 17Mph.
It is also the easiest kit to fit,simply remove the bottom bracket and slide it in place then fit half a dozen colour coded plugs and a battery and its done.
It takes me less than AN HOUR TO DO ONE NOW.

Reactions: Jimod

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Jim,I resigned when I was 21 years old,from the only proper job I have ever had, since then I have enjoyed my hobby,namely Rally Design AKA Kudos cycles,AKA Zigzagtruss,soon AKA Blackline Tools....working for oneself never seems like work to me,I am lucky that I still enjoy every day going to work....looking forward to the Autosports race car show next week.
KudosDave

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
Jim,I resigned when I was 21 years old,from the only proper job I have ever had, since then I have enjoyed my hobby,namely Rally Design AKA Kudos cycles,AKA Zigzagtruss,soon AKA Blackline Tools....working for oneself never seems like work to me,I am lucky that I still enjoy every day going to work....looking forward to the Autosports race car show next week.
KudosDave
I've got a few plans, none of which involve work. :). I've got to buy a bungalow and a new motorbike. I've also been challenged to a cycle trip in the summer which will require me to get fitter.

I just need the rain to stop or even slow down a little so I can get my first bike ride of the year.

Last edited:
Reactions: timidtom

timidtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 19, 2009
Cheshire
GambiaGOES.blogspot.com
I agree with the trend - do it! I retired 22 years ago and I'm busy all the time. I run a charity, write books, engage in family matters, mess about on my Juicy bike, perform as a poet and generally prat about to my heart's content. Do it! There's more to life than wage slavery! Welcome and report back! Best wishes to all for 2015/16/17/etc!

Staffordshirehills

Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2014
I did the same, my last day was Dec. 5th. Feels really odd at the moment but I can't wait for next week when I would have been off here there and everywhere and instead will be home with hubby, dogs and bikes . 45 feels young but hey ho !

Reactions: timidtom and flecc

john h

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 22, 2012
murthly castle estate
Good on you jimod, im retiring this april 5 :), i will be 58 by then having worked since the age of 15 lots of difrent jobs over the years, my job for the last 12 years has been to test electric poles this involved walking across hills fields streams ect, fine in good weather hell in winters, my plan is to cycle north of scotland( east to west) all the places i passed through will working but not realy seeing, sadly not on an ebike,:( but on a touring bike.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It's interesting, isn't it, that while the politicians keep pushing back the official age of retirement while worrying about how retirement can be financed, the public are increasingly doing the opposite.

Years ago it was widely accepted that one worked full time to 65 and people mostly did, but now on all the evidence I've seen and which is also seen in this thread, increasing numbers are saying "No way" and leaving the world of work much earlier.

It's yet another indication of how far out of touch the politicians are with their electorate.

Advertisers