Izip mountain trials power problems

gazza19

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2020
hi any help would be greatly appreciated i have a izip mountain trialz i thought the batteries had gone so i have put brand new ones in and i still have the same problem when the battery is in and switched on there is no power but when i plug the charger into it it works does anyone have any ideas of what it could be please help3795654F59233-D5F2-412D-97E5-1890F3D40310.jpeg3795751011158-632B-4534-BDB2-E3AD9C570609.jpeg

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
It's a long time since I've seen one of those. Is there a two level power switch somewhere. Can you take the battery off and take a few photos of the bike's electrics to remind me?

Last edited:

gazza19

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2020
It's a long time since I've seen one of those. Is there a two level power switch somewhere. Can you take the battery off and take a few photos of the bike's electrics to remind me?
Yea will do it tomorrow it has a two level power switch as you can have the battery on either side I’ve tried it on both sides and still does the same there is also a white box and also a black box inside the control unit box too

gazza19

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2020
Yea will do it tomorrow it has a two level power switch as you can have the battery on either side I’ve tried it on both sides and still does the same there is also a white box and also a black box inside the control unit box too
Here are the pictures of the switch and electrical wiring there is also a black box at the bottom 379582C56123B-3710-4D8B-B66C-6B6B74ED5B1C.jpeg37959

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
First, measure the voltage on the bottom of the battery, then see if you can find the red and black wires going into the alumnium box abd measure the voltage on them at their connector.

gazza19

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2020
First, measure the voltage on the bottom of the battery, then see if you can find the red and black wires going into the alumnium box abd measure the voltage on them at their connector.
the batteries are brand new so shouldnt they be working

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The battery, when fully charged should have around 28v if you have the 2 x 12v SLA version. You haven't said which version you have.

Whenswitched on and powered, the same voltage should be on the red and black wires going in too the controller.

The white box is a device that multiplexes the pedal sensor and throttle into a single throttle signal. There's a couple of very simple measurements you can do to show if it's working properly after you've done the above tests.

These simple tests and measurements will show you where the problem is, then it should be obvious how to fix it.

gazza19

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2020
The battery, when fully charged should have around 28v if you have the 2 x 12v SLA version. You haven't said which version you have.

Whenswitched on and powered, the same voltage should be on the red and black wires going in too the controller.

The white box is a device that multiplexes the pedal sensor and throttle into a single throttle signal. There's a couple of very simple measurements you can do to show if it's working properly after you've done the above tests.

These simple tests and measurements will show you where the problem is, then it should be obvious how to fix it.
thankyou for your help yes the batteries are 2 x12 volt 10 amp sla batteries

gazza19

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2020
hi vfr400 i haves tested the batteries and they are ok ive also put a new switch on there is no voltage at the terminals on the bottom of the battery when it is of the bike when it is on the bike and the charger is not plugged in then there is no power at all when the bike is switched on but is when the charger is plugged in so there is power going through the switch have u got a wiring diagram of the switch and do you have anymore ideas of what the problem could be thanks in advance of any help given

MontyPAS

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2020
Post #4 Picture 4, shows what looks like a motorcycle type fuse unit. It may be obvious, but have you checked the integrity of any fuses and connections in there.
Been caught out many a time on the numerous motorcycles I have had with bad fuses / duff connections?

Last edited:
Reactions: gazza19

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
hi vfr400 i haves tested the batteries and they are ok ive also put a new switch on there is no voltage at the terminals on the bottom of the battery when it is of the bike when it is on the bike and the charger is not plugged in then there is no power at all when the bike is switched on but is when the charger is plugged in so there is power going through the switch have u got a wiring diagram of the switch and do you have anymore ideas of what the problem could be thanks in advance of any help given
Thanks for trying not to intimidate me, but I do have a strong constitution and I'm quite old, so definitely not Gen Z. Guys like me are not scared of full-stops, so it's OK to use them:. I heard that maths is now racist, so I try not to use it so much in other threads, but sometimes it's unavoidable. Maybe I am a racist then. Sorry if my maths offends anyone, like I had to explain to a guy the other day that one plus one equals two. It just never occurred to me that it could be so offensive to some people.

I know some people weren't lucky enough to get a good education, or they're compromised in some other way. The above is just a bit of tongue in cheek. If it helps, after you've written each idea or statement, stop, put a full-stop in, then write down your next idea, then full-sop, and so on. It makes it much easier for us to figure out what you mean.

Last edited:

gazza19

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2020
thank you vfr400 the fuse looks to be ok. It has not got a broken wire inside the glass.So c
If you have no voltage on the bottom of the battery, the problem is in the battery. Either the fuse has blown or you connected them up wrongly.
Thank you vFr400 the fuse looks ok.It has not got a broken wire inside the glass. So could there still be a problem with it . Sorry I am new to all this fault finding Stuff. Here is a picture of the terminals at the bottom of the battery. 38065

MontyPAS

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2020
thank you vfr400 the fuse looks to be ok. It has not got a broken wire inside the glass.So c

Thank you vFr400 the fuse looks ok.It has not got a broken wire inside the glass. So could there still be a problem with it . Sorry I am new to all this fault finding Stuff. Here is a picture of the terminals at the bottom of the battery. View attachment 38065
With your multi-meter:
Check your fuse for continuity. Use Ohms setting or buzzer if it has one.
Re-insert fuse and check for voltage from battery both sides of fuse. Use DC range setting.

This will confirm you have voltage, from battery via fuse, to the controller / motor unit

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Next stage would be to open the case and show us how the batteries are wired. Maybe you put one the wrong way round.

gazza19

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2020
Next stage would be to open the case and show us how the batteries are wired. Maybe you put one the wrong way round.
Hi I have put a picture on of the way it’s wired up. Neutral from the battery terminal from the bottom of the battery is on the battery on the right of the pic and the live is on the left. When I touch the red side of the battery terminal at the bottom of the battery and touch both the terminals of the left battery there is continuity but when I do the same on the neutral and the right battery there isn’t 1268AD0D-17BC-4032-8FA0-D87DCE895AE4.jpeg1268AD0D-17BC-4032-8FA0-D87DCE895AE4.jpeg

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
You've wired it wrong. You've gone from the black of the left battery to the black of the right battery, but it should go to the red of the right battery. You should have the black of one and the red of the other going to the terminals and the other red and black joined to each other. I'm assuming that the black wires cross over at the back, but it's hidden from view, so not possible for me to follow them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hovlev2