Jan 2016 Throttle Regulations

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
On a pre-built bike the new uk law is pretty clear any electric bike manufactured after 2016 with a throttle the throttle must be restricted to 6kph.

However if a conversion, if the pedal bike was purchased in 2014 but the ekit was purchased in 2016 or vice versa then how does that stand up in law? To further complicate if a throttle was added later but the throttle was manufactured pre 2016 how does that affect things?

Pre built bike pretty clear, conversion anybody know?

sent via huawei P9

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the full throttle has always been and still is allowed on converted bikes. Don't worry about it. As you rightly pointed out, the new regulation concerns only factory built. Full throttle is not allowed. Manufacturers can still supply but can't connect them.
However, the DfT has confirmed that users will not be prosecuted for connecting the throttle afterward. So if you want the throttle, you can plug it in anytime you want.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
There is no law on how power is controlled for conversions, permissive or restrictive. so you can use whatever method you like.

N.B. Post crossed with Trex's.

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
I would also imagine with all the Brexit S**t flying around the last thing police are worried about is a fat overweight pensioner like me going up an incline at 15mph without pedaling, unless the modern wonders of police technology have a device that can scan the bike to see if it was manufactured or sold prior to Jan 2016 LOL

sent via huawei P9

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Reactions: Andy88

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
Can of worms me thinks. Like you said earlier buy a unit where the throttle can just be plugged in.

sent via huawei P9

• Agree
Reactions: trex

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
PC to old man on ebike with throttle
'Now Sir, can you tell me when your bike was manufactured?'
Old Man 'Oh ages ago. I think'
PC' Well when did you buy it?
OM ' I'm a bit deaf and my hearing aid is playing up. It doesn't fly.'
PC 'BUY not fly'
OM ' Oh buy,. My memory is not too good these days, was it 1998?'
PC' No, it must have been sooner than that.'
OM, 'Yes of course my grandson was born in, now let me see, was it 1995 or 2005?' I got the bike after he was born', or was it before? I'm not sure
PC walks off in utter frustration.

Rohloffboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2015
North West.
Head in hands over UK ebike law, it must be loosing so much potential business to UK ebike bike dealers.

I am not the only one, who will be doing my own ebike conversion with kit bought from China.

I really do despair at this UK, nanny state that we all have to wade through.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Head in hands over UK ebike law, it must be loosing so much potential business to UK ebike bike dealers.

I am not the only one, who will be doing my own ebike conversion with kit bought from China.

I really do despair at this UK, nanny state that we all have to wade through.
Particulary when other countries, unless the Minister of Justice has a problem, totally ignore these sort of things. The Chief of local Police in a Belgium town has ridden my throttle equipped Tonaro. Never made any comment about the throttle.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
What if one is physically impaired? Where is the line between ebike and mobility scooter?

sent via huawei P9
Mobility scooter 5 miles per hour ebike EPAC compliant any speed but only 15.5miles per hour under motor assistance.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Mobility Scooter 8 MPH on the road, 4 MPH on the pavement.
You are of course correct with the actual speeds, I should have indicated the speed in km . I was just trying to make the point that mobility aids were also considered by the EU. Those going on the road are another exempted category , and must meet a type approval , while those on the footpath are covered by the same regulation which allows walk assist on pedelecs.

Reactions: Andy88

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
You are of course correct with the actual speeds, I should have indicated the speed in km . I was just trying to make the point that mobility aids were also considered by the EU. Those going on the road are another exempted category , and must meet a type approval , while those on the footpath are covered by the same regulation which allows walk assist on pedelecs.
Thank you for your input.

sent via huawei P9

Rohloffboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2015
North West.
The more I read and learn, beggars belief that we do not have an "S" Pedlec class like what they have in Germany and Holland, how can the UK ebike industry let this slide, it's almost as though they do not want to make money.

If it's good enough for the Germans, it is good enough for us Brits.