Juicy Classic Click lagging

Emzie

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 3, 2020
Afternoon! I bought a Juicy Bike classic click a month ago, and all was fine until I got a puncture in the rear wheel a couple of weeks ago.

Since taking the wheel off to replace the inner tube, the bike has felt far less responsive with a definite lag when using PAS.

When using the throttle from a standing stop, it gives a barely noticeable boost rather than a strong burst to start off.

I'm having to ride in PAS level 3-5 even when on flat ground, rather than the level 1 I mostly used previously, because the bike is frustratingly ponderous otherwise.

The rear wheel also squeaks when wheeling the bike backwards.

I've checked all the connections, and the disc brakes as much as I can given my admittedly limited knowledge of both ebikes and disc brakes.

Any suggestions please? I'm assuming I've messed something up when taking off and putting the rear wheel back on. Can I fix it myself or do I need a trip to a bike shop? Thanks!

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Afternoon! I bought a Juicy Bike classic click a month ago, and all was fine until I got a puncture in the rear wheel a couple of weeks ago.

Since taking the wheel off to replace the inner tube, the bike has felt far less responsive with a definite lag when using PAS.

When using the throttle from a standing stop, it gives a barely noticeable boost rather than a strong burst to start off.

I'm having to ride in PAS level 3-5 even when on flat ground, rather than the level 1 I mostly used previously, because the bike is frustratingly ponderous otherwise.

The rear wheel also squeaks when wheeling the bike backwards.

I've checked all the connections, and the disc brakes as much as I can given my admittedly limited knowledge of both ebikes and disc brakes.

Any suggestions please? I'm assuming I've messed something up when taking off and putting the rear wheel back on. Can I fix it myself or do I need a trip to a bike shop? Thanks!
I expect its something simple, probably a brake is maladjusted. Un-adjust the rear disk brake completely and see if the wheel then spins freely backwards (some motors do not spin freely forwards due to their design.)
Also, on some bikes, it is possible to save time (and trouble) by repairing the tube while still on the bike.
Especially important for rear hub bikes with their wiring, brake cables, chain, gear change mechanisms.....its a lot!
I do not know where the motor is on your bike, as online pictures that I found, were simply not clear enough, and always from the RH side...DUUHHH!
Best of luck!
Regards
Andy

Reactions: Emzie

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I expect you've checked this one, but just in case ... Another possibility is that the wheel is not in quite straight and that the tyre is rubbing on the frame somewhere, or maybe more likely on the mudguard (doesn't look as if there is much clearance there).

Emzie

Jun 3, 2020
Thanks for the reply Andy, I'll give that a go! Any advice on how to safely unadjust/readjust the rear disc brake please? I'm slightly terrified of them after a decade of riding a bike with a rear coaster brake.

Here's a couple of pictures of the motor.
20200604_124205.jpg20200604_124217.jpg
Thanks again!
Emma

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
Ask someone to lift the back wheel of the bike off the ground while you give it a spin by hand to see if there is any resistance and look to see if it is the tyre rubbing against the frame, or the disc rubbing inside the caliper.

Emzie

Jun 3, 2020
I expect you've checked this one, but just in case ... Another possibility is that the wheel is not in quite straight and that the tyre is rubbing on the frame somewhere, or maybe more likely on the mudguard (doesn't look as if there is much clearance there).
That was the first thing I checked as my last bike was a pain in the bum for that, but I can't see anywhere that the tyre is possibly rubbing. Thank you though, I appreciate you taking the time to reply!

Emzie

Jun 3, 2020
Ask someone to lift the back wheel of the bike off the ground while you give it a spin by hand to see if there is any resistance and look to see if it is the tyre rubbing against the frame, or the disc rubbing inside the caliper.
Will do, thank you!

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Thanks for the reply Andy, I'll give that a go! Any advice on how to safely unadjust/readjust the rear disc brake please? I'm slightly terrified of them after a decade of riding a bike with a rear coaster brake.

Here's a couple of pictures of the motor.
View attachment 35909View attachment 35910
Thanks again!
Emma
I have found some videos that will hopefully help you further:-
You could use a bike stand, to allow the rear wheel to be away from the floor.
Also, hopefully you have a reasonable tool kit, so as not to damage anything, including yourself!
best wishes
Andy

Emzie

Jun 3, 2020
I have found some videos that will hopefully help you further:-
You could use a bike stand, to allow the rear wheel to be away from the floor.
Also, hopefully you have a reasonable tool kit, so as not to damage anything, including yourself!
best wishes
Andy
Thanks for those Andy! I have a pretty comprehensive tool kit so I should be OK on that front.

A bike stand is on my list as turning a 45 pound bike upside down isn't the easiest thing in the world!

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Thanks for those Andy! I have a pretty comprehensive tool kit so I should be OK on that front.

A bike stand is on my list as turning a 45 pound bike upside down isn't the easiest thing in the world!
It can damage parts as well.
Plus (I do not have them myself) hydraulic brakes may leak fluid or get air bubbles. Though you need to ask someone who knows them properly, I am happy with cable disks!
I bought my bike stand from Aldi, maybe 10 years ago, for the UK equivalent of about 20 UK Pounds..... Well worth it!!
Regards and best of luck, do keep us informed, there are many here that can help you further if needed.
Andy

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
Check you have not knocked the pas magnet disc out of place that is situated behind the chain ring, this will cause a lag in power if it is too far away from the sensor.

Emzie

Jun 3, 2020
Check you have not knocked the pas magnet disc out of place that is situated behind the chain ring, this will cause a lag in power if it is too far away from the sensor.
That was the problem! I emailed Juicy Bikes (who have absolutely stellar customer service FYI) and they told me to check the pas magnet disc to ensure it was within 2-3mm. It was about 5mm away so I wriggled it closer to the sensor and that seems to have done the trick - much more responsive now.

Thank you so much for your reply.

I need an Dummies guide to ebikes!

Reactions: Amoto65 and sjpt

Emzie

Jun 3, 2020
Another positive for juicy customers service good news and advice
They've been brilliant! I'd been eyeing up the classic click for over a year, and my old schwinn cruiser needed new everything, so decided to go for it just as the demand for bikes shot up. They got the bike to me a month earlier than expected, and the customer service was faultless. They also wrote a lovely little message about me being an NHS worker on the box which made me cry!
Can't recommend them enough.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Good news then Emzie, I am pleased for you that the bike is up and running again.

One thing for you to think about for the future is to replace the rear tube with a Gaadi double ended tube, once fitted there is no need to remove the motor wheel but just to remove the tyre on one side of the rim and take the tube out to repair or replace with a spare Gaadi.

Emzie

Jun 3, 2020
After thinking the issue was fixed last night, I took my bike out for a quick 3 miles today and it's just as bad as it ever was and the gears are grinding/slipping when I shift, especially to lower gears. I tested pedaling the bike with the power off and it's next to impossible to get up to any sort of speed.

I'll take a look at the rear brake tomorrow and see if that's the issue and if that doesn't sort it, I guess it's a trip to the bike shop!

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
It sounds like the indexing needs doing on the gears if they are grinding and slipping, does the rear wheel rotate freely if you lift it off the ground?