Just a nagging doubt...………. but?

Markxc40

Pedelecer
May 15, 2020
Hello I'm new on here but there is such a mine of useful information to be had so I ask another question.

One thing that bothers me is the slight nag I have about my new bikes identity.
I know all bikes have a ID number stamped somewhere on the frame, in my case it will be a Cube Acid Hybrid 2020 model. For my peace of mind can I check the ID number against a production list to verify my bike is the latest version.
Or put another way what are the differences I should find to confirm its production type.

Regards

Reactions: MJS_1066

MJS_1066

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 24, 2020
I'd be interested to know myself, having just ordered the last in stock Acid Hybrid One 500 in the country (should be delivered around the 8th of June).

If the next batch have the Gen 4 motor I'll be sick as a dog!

Reactions: Markxc40

Chris M

Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2018
I have a 2019 Acid One and was thinking if only I had waited a year. I've consoled myself that the ALP is still a nice modern motor which is quiet and has low pedal resistance. Being a less powerful motor it will use less power and so give a longer range. Also having a little less power will put a little less strain on the drivetrain so chains etc should last a little longer. So while a gen4 CX might still be preferable purely for more power the ALP has some other less obvious advantages.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
This years model will always be better then last years and next years will always be better then this years, it's an endless cycle and if you always wished you waited you would never end up buying one.

flash

Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2009
CW12 Congleton
This years model will always be better then last years and next years will always be better then this years, it's an endless cycle and if you always wished you waited you would never end up buying one.
this explains it

Reactions: dr bob

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
Or put another way what are the differences I should find to confirm its production type.
If it bothers you that much, you need to look at the Cube website and get the spec list for that particular bike (and they will list pretty much everything of relevance), then go over your bike and check every component and see if it matches.

Of course, as with most other manufacturers, there will probably be some small print somewhere saying they may change specifications, but the bottom line is - does your bike have the stuff you want and does it look like the model you think it is. If both those are true, it means you should probably should have other, more pressing things to worry about!

• :D

Markxc40

Pedelecer
May 15, 2020
All very true Joe.
Because we didn't get off to the bests of starts I wanted to be certain, it's a confidence thing.

From looking at the bike online it seems the same in fact the only difference I can see is it has the year 2020 in its title. As has been said every new bike has some differences on them that is what is proving difficult to find out what they are then as you say I could check if they are fitted or not.
If it is old stock/ last years model then I don't expect to be paying this years price. When do the seasons start and end for new releases.

Best

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
I used to know a chap who worked in what was then just called PC World, he told me all the gear on display was the latest stuff. However out the back in storage was the very latest equip which would go out when the displayed stuff had all sold, that's how they keep things flowing. I expect cycle designers are working (from home) on next years model right now, but of course if you want to save some cash you would need to wait until that model is released the get the previous year's bike which will naturally be out of date...can't win really.

• :D

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Next years bikes I suspect will already be off the board and jigs for frames in production for QC checks etc,etc, by late Autumn they will be coming off the line ready to go to delears who have placed orders.
The ebay saga with dodgy 2020 Batribikes for sale very early this year shows us that, they were stolen in the UK 4th quarter of last year.

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
From looking at the bike online it seems the same in fact the only difference I can see is it has the year 2020 in its title. As has been said every new bike has some differences on them that is what is proving difficult to find out what they are then as you say I could check if they are fitted or not.
If it is old stock/ last years model then I don't expect to be paying this years price. When do the seasons start and end for new releases.
Manufactures usually change the colour scheme for each model year, this may give you a clue.
Dave.

Chris M

Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2018
I picked up my Cube Acid on 31st October 2018. The German label that came with it showed a bike checked date of 23rd October 2018 so I suspect it wasn't very old when I got it. This would stack up with the way the shop are given a date of what will be available when based on planned production.

The gen4 motor was announced as part of the 2020 model year so any bike being sold as new stock should have it, unless there have been shortages of the new motor in which case Cube will still have been using the ALP. Like I said above there are advantages to the ALP. I also find the ALP is plenty powerful enough. It provides a nice balance of motor/human input. Most of the time I use just use TOUR but TURBO provides sufficient power to get me up everything I've encountered so far. Ok my heart says I want more power but my head says why, you don't actually need it.

Kenno

Aug 6, 2018
I'm having exactly the same issues with my 2nd e-bike, a Cube Touring hybrid pro 500, fitted with the ALP motor. It replaced a stolen Race reaction 500 e-bike which came with the previous gen C X performance. Yes I agree that the ALP has a few advantages over the C X, namely the lack of drag at the max speed, less noise. But I really do miss that extra 25Nm tourque, and assistance up to 120 rpm vs. the 100 rpm level on the ALP. I miss it so much that I am looking to swap the current bike in against the new Katmando 625. This will give me the new low drag C X motor, and a return to the 46 tooth rear cassette, so I can climb my Lakeland passes again, with consumate ease. The ALP motor I find with the 42 cassette is just not man enough for some of the hills I like to tackle. I did ponder fitting the 46-11 cassette to the hybrid touring, but I think it might require the fitting of a long cage as opposed to the medium that is fitted at present.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If you want to use a larger low geared cassette use a road link then you keep the same derailleur, SJS use to do a copy of the Wolf link but at a fraction of the price.

Last edited:

Kenno

Aug 6, 2018
Thanks, I was looking at the Wolf link, so will investigate the one you suggest, will I require any extra links in the chain or will the deralliuer compensate with what is already fitted. Could you get away with an extra long B screw instead of the Wolf link ?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
No you need the road link as the derailleur only has a max tooth allowance all the road link does is convert the med cage to a long cage in effect. You may have to add one or two links and wind the B Screw win as far as it will go, I had to buy a longer B screw for mine to work better.
My derailleur was 34t max but with the road link I was able to fit a 12/42 cassette and apart from the B screw didn't need to touch the H/L stops.

MJS_1066

May 24, 2020
So my bike turned up early... a 2020 Acid Hybrid One 500.
While I anxiously wait for my battery to charge, can someone tell me what generation motor I have? (Yes I'm a total noob to ebikes!)

Attachments

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DRIVE UNITBosch Drive Unit Performance GEN3 (65Nm)