just a simple question (possibly)

Sandman_bm

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 13, 2014
Apart from the questionable legality of charging a battery from a generator while in motion is there any practical reason that precludes using a genny to drive the charger to charge a battery pack that is not connected to anything other than the charger.
regards
Sandman

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
No.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
The average 36V Lithium ion battery can take about 90W from the charging port while lipo batteries can easily take triple that, 250W-300W, fast charging your battery. Still, the easiest way is to use an off the shelf 900W inverter generator that has a 30A 12V output port, then two 6 cell balancer chargers. The whole lot is pretty heavy - generator, petrol, lipo pack, charger, I reckon about 17kgs. How would you carry that lot on your bike though?

twinkle

E-Triker
May 14, 2013
Peacehaven nr Brighton
The other things to take into account are :eek:

The rest of the trike would need to be totally EAPC legal , as you will probably get stopped frequently . as the putt putt of the genny will attract attention .:mad:

Being 100% legal the motor power of "250 continuous watt"s will be marginal apart from the genny in a trailer you might only fit your gold card for camping. ( weight wise )

At least with the genny in the trailer the EAPC weight limit of 60 kg wont apply :)

Using a quick charger we are still looking at 2 or more hours running of the genny and that will cost at least £1 an hour fuel running costs

Charge Cafe's and electric pitches on campsites and a couple of 20 ah
batteries carried on the et-rike could be the lighter option and still be inside the EAPC regulations

Solar charging although an option is still in its infancy and until lightweight panels are developed its still pie in the sky ( oops that's the sun ):eek:,

But then I know you do things "NOVEL "

regards

Advertisers