Just bought a Speedbox 2.0

Warwick2

Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2021
My Haibike Fullseven 4 was screaming out for more power, so I treated myself to a Speedbox yesterday and I'm awaiting its arrival. I've replaced the knobblies with Scwalbe Huricanes to add to the speed, hopefully.

My potential commute is 17 miles, so I need more than 15.5mph on the long bits of country road along the way.

I'm hoping I'll have enough juice in the battery to do both runs without recharging, but I'll take the charger along initially, just in case.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
dongles dont give you any more power they just remove the speed limit but from a 500w batt i can get about 25-30 miles depending on effort put in.

Warwick2

Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2021
Looking at the installation videos on a similar Haibike, it seems that there is a redundant connector. Would this be for lights? I think I have a fairly decent front light gathering dust somewhere in the shed...

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the bosch motors have front and rear light power outputs on the motor but a dealer needs to turn them on with the software as default set to off unless the bike came with lights.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i dont know if the lights are active on the Yamaha motor but you can run lights from the motor but power will be limited like 1-1.5a each light.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Warwick2

Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2021
Thanks for the link. They only sell the cable if you buy a bike from them, but it inspired me to look elsewhere and I've got one on the way. If it doesn't work without software mods, all I've lost is £15.

Warwick2

Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2021
The Speedbox arrived quickly and I've waited until the weekend to fit it. The YouTube video makes it look so easy, but it took a lot longer for me. Not having a stand was the main issue, but I got there in the end. The main problem was stowing the wiring away from the bolts, but they're all tucked up nicely now.

I went out for a 7-mile test ride and it works a treat. The power feeds in seamlessly after 15.5mph and keeps going. The low MTB gearing limited me to 24mph, but, hey, that's enough! I reckon it'll cruise along at 20mph very nicely.

All in all, I'm happy with it.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
if you want more speed you will need to change the front chain ring to a bigger one.

Warwick2

Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2021
I won't bother, as I'll be going off road as well and will need the lower ratios. The Schwalbe Hurricanes helped too, as they're up to 70psi and have a smooth centre ridge.

Advertisers