Help! Just got my first ebike (ADO A20F)

Legend20le

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 26, 2021
Hello guys and merry Christmas one and all, I've just got my first ebike and I'm looking for some help.

I have an ADO A20F and have just finished my 2nd ride, got to say I'm really enjoying it, although I'm a little disappointed with the range as doing 6 miles has used half the battery, it was very hilly where I was riding but as the bike cost less then £800 I'm not going to grumble because it should get me to work and back when the weather's nice which is why I bought it.

It was relatively easy to set up out of the box but I did struggle to index the rear derailleur, at first it wouldn't go into 1st gear but after watching a YouTube video I sorted that only now it struggles to go into 7th gear but I suspect with a little patience I will get that sorted.

What I'm looking for help with is the S866 lcd display/computer, I was told that the bike has cruise control but I can't seem to get it to work and after investigation I believe this is in P17 of the settings but the problem I have is that on mine it only goes to P16 then circles back to P1, in the instructions and online it says it should go to P20 so I'm a little perplexed as to why mine only goes to P16???

Anybody out there with any knowledge on this your help would be very much appreciated, in fact anybody that has an A20F or similar and has any tips or tricks for me would be welcome too.

Thanks in advance.

kangooroo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2015
Wye Valley
Are you in the UK? I'm not sure this is road legal here with the 500W motor and 25mph speed...??

Legend20le

Dec 26, 2021
Yes I'm in the UK and I have the EU/UK version that is locked to 250w.

Actually you have just made me think, that's probably why mine has no P17 setting?

Although as far as I know I should still be able to access it because it's supposed to be unlockable as it's legal to use 500w and throttle on private land so still doesn't make sense why mine stops at P16?

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Hello guys and merry Christmas one and all, I've just got my first ebike and I'm looking for some help.

I have an ADO A20F and have just finished my 2nd ride, got to say I'm really enjoying it, although I'm a little disappointed with the range as doing 6 miles has used half the battery, it was very hilly where I was riding but as the bike cost less then £800 I'm not going to grumble because it should get me to work and back when the weather's nice which is why I bought it.

It was relatively easy to set up out of the box but I did struggle to index the rear derailleur, at first it wouldn't go into 1st gear but after watching a YouTube video I sorted that only now it struggles to go into 7th gear but I suspect with a little patience I will get that sorted.

What I'm looking for help with is the S866 lcd display/computer, I was told that the bike has cruise control but I can't seem to get it to work and after investigation I believe this is in P17 of the settings but the problem I have is that on mine it only goes to P16 then circles back to P1, in the instructions and online it says it should go to P20 so I'm a little perplexed as to why mine only goes to P16???

Anybody out there with any knowledge on this your help would be very much appreciated, in fact anybody that has an A20F or similar and has any tips or tricks for me would be welcome too.

Thanks in advance.
If I ride fast in hilly terrain in high level of assistance then I can empty a 400Wh battery in about 25 miles. That's with a mid-drive setup, which if I am in the right gear, is always fairly efficient.

Yours is hub drive, fat tyres and lots of hills on a first ride where you are putting it through its paces, so I think that would be a fair amount of slow ish speeds where the hub motor is not so happy, and fairly high assistance levels. So I would probably expect your energy use so be 50% or more higher than my example, so the battery is going to manage maybe 18 miles tops, in that style of riding. It could be as low as 12, which matches what you saw.

Good news is that in more typical conditions, that same battery takes me 35 miles, so I think you will be fine on the commuting run. Keep notes, and you will quickly get used to it.

Dial down assistance level and speed to get more range.

Legend20le

Dec 26, 2021
If I ride fast in hilly terrain in high level of assistance then I can empty a 400Wh battery in about 25 miles. That's with a mid-drive setup, which if I am in the right gear, is always fairly efficient.

Yours is hub drive, fat tyres and lots of hills on a first ride where you are putting it through its paces, so I think that would be a fair amount of slow ish speeds where the hub motor is not so happy, and fairly high assistance levels. So I would probably expect your energy use so be 50% or more higher than my example, so the battery is going to manage maybe 18 miles tops, in that style of riding. It could be as low as 12, which matches what you saw.

Good news is that in more typical conditions, that same battery takes me 35 miles, so I think you will be fine on the commuting run. Keep notes, and you will quickly get used to it.

Dial down assistance level and speed to get more range.
Thanks Matt, my commute is actually around 6 miles there 6 miles back and is fairly hilly in part's so worst case scenario of 12 miles range on the battery should just about cover it hopefully.

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Thanks Matt, my commute is actually around 6 miles there 6 miles back and is fairly hilly in part's so worst case scenario of 12 miles range on the battery should just about cover it hopefully.
Fully charge before the first time you do it, and if you want to be really cautious, take the charger to work!

Ride gently and I think you will find you have nothing to worry about.

Reactions: Legend20le

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I'm confused. This forum is related to pedelecs, and this is an electric motorcycle.
It is but has sub forums, there is a dedicated speed pedalec section for posters to use.

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Yes I'm in the UK and I have the EU/UK version that is locked to 250w.
That's the bit that makes your bike a pedelec, and your query on range is an always interesting subject. Right place!

Reactions: Legend20le

Scorpio

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2020
Portugal Algarve (temporary)
Choice of tyres can make a big difference, I replaced the off-road knobbly tyres on my mountain bike for semi-slick tyres (same size) and it's a lot easier to pedal on the tarmac/gravel tracks I use - so the battery lasts longer.
If you're not a regular cyclist your fitness levels will improve rapidly with regular rides, so the battery has less work to do and lasts longer...
Have fun, keep us updated :cool:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
What is the battery ah or wh ?
The fact the bike is 500w else where and is restricted might be a reason why battery range is poor, if the motor is running inefficiently due to less current then it may be wasting power as excess heat ?
Not forgetting this is a smaller wheeled bike and they have faster wound motors to compensate for this to keep speed up.

Legend20le

Dec 26, 2021
Choice of tyres can make a big difference, I replaced the off-road knobbly tyres on my mountain bike for semi-slick tyres (same size) and it's a lot easier to pedal on the tarmac/gravel tracks I use - so the battery lasts longer.
If you're not a regular cyclist your fitness levels will improve rapidly with regular rides, so the battery has less work to do and lasts longer...
Have fun, keep us updated :cool:
That's interesting as it does have knobbly tyres on and probably 90% of my riding will be on tarmac so definitely something I will look into at some point in the future.

Thanks Scorpio.

Legend20le

Dec 26, 2021
What is the battery ah or wh ?
The fact the bike is 500w else where and is restricted might be a reason why battery range is poor, if the motor is running inefficiently due to less current then it may be wasting power as excess heat ?
Not forgetting this is a smaller wheeled bike and they have faster wound motors to compensate for this to keep speed up.
It's a Li-ion 36v 10.4ah 374.4wh, being honest though with it being my first ebike I'm not really sure about much of what you mean, I do know it's not the best of batteries as the bike's are relatively cheap compared to most but that's about it?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
What is the bikes max speed is 25km/h or more ?

Legend20le

Dec 26, 2021
What is the bikes max speed is 25km/h or more ?
I have only been out on it 3 times now and have the LCD display in mph, on the flat it's around 17 mph in max assist with me peddling like a lunatic in top gear.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Whenever I'm low on battery (on low assistance level) I maintain a very high cadence and a very low gear... that gets me home, the motor is more efficient at high cadence, but mine is a mid-drive.

Last edited: