Just out of the Box: Proconnects 2009.

Dynamic Position

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2009
A large box with 12" rip from lid down the top of the box was delivered today.
The TNT Courier driver had a bit of an accident and the other bike he was delivering was completly out of the box!:eek:

Initial impressions, very well built bike with the handle bars laden with controls and gauges: The bike seems too good just for commuting back and forward to work, I didn't realise that the bike had a computer (and other unidentified items) as standard.

First things first, battery and charger removed and battery put on to charge.

Second, the instructions and technical bits.:confused:

The RST suspension forks appear to need a lot of attention/maintenance!:( Perhaps this is a good reason not to have suspension forks (even on a push-bike)? Is it just the RST suspension forks that are so demanding? Flecc, what do you think?

The other documents seem in accordance with expectation, nothing that some practical (actual trying out won't sort out). It could take a while before I get ito the swing of things though.

The all important certificate indicates that the bike is vehicle catagory A according to EC Directive. The unladen weight 22.5Kg (I checked the weight against my Raleigh P4000 out of curiosity and it was exactly the same without the battery). The technically permissible maximum laden weight is 120Kg. The maximum (assist) speed is 20 Km/h with its Panasonic 0.25KW unit.

It will be interesting to see how the bike performs in practice.

I have just completed rough adjustment of handlebars and installed the pedals.

Too late for anything else other than check whats been hapening on-line while waiting for the battery to finish charging.

I have never tried an e-bike before so have a lot to learn. Hopefully I will pick things up pretty quickly. Without even considering the e-bike aspect, the Kalkhoff bike is a lot different from what I am used to with the P4000.

Hopefully forum members will give some tips/advice?

The only thing missing (I think) is instructions on membership of Kalkhoff/50-cycles forum?

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
Hi Dynamic Position - check your email, you're now a member of the forum!

Maximum assist speed of 20kph refers to the throttle operation I believe. Have you spotted the built-in lights either side of the cycle computer? We were delighted that these turned up on the production model.

TNT are usually flawless, by far the best courier we've used, so we'll have to see what happened with that carton.

Anyway, glad you are pleased so far with what is undoubtedly the best and most capable electric bike on the market.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Congratulations on your new bike Dynamic Position, I hope you get much future enjoyment from it.

The maximum assist reference to 20 kph (12.5 mph) refers as Tim says to the throttle function. This throttle on the standard Panasonic units provides a legal assist speed of 6 kph (4 mph) as a "walk alongside" function that complies with the regulations for pedestrian controlled electric vehicles here and in the EU. As a by product of the unit being converted to the high speed S one, the "walk alongside" speed inadvertantly becomes very much higher. However, you may find the power applied by that throttle is not the full power the unit is capable of since the torque sensor isn't operated when pedal pressure is minimal or zero, so it's function when riding may be limited in some circumstances.

Many cycle suspension forks have complex and demanding maintenance schedules but few owners attempt to keep strictly to them. The excess seems to be precautionary in nature since these forks can seize up if neglected.

Last edited:

Dynamic Position

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2009
Hi Dynamic Position - check your email, you're now a member of the forum!

Maximum assist speed of 20kph refers to the throttle operation I believe. Have you spotted the built-in lights either side of the cycle computer? We were delighted that these turned up on the production model.

TNT are usually flawless, by far the best courier we've used, so we'll have to see what happened with that carton.

Anyway, glad you are pleased so far with what is undoubtedly the best and most capable electric bike on the market.

Tim,

The built in lights on the cycle computer have been spotted. I am afraid that I am not impressed as the holder where the cable enters is broken. The plastic holder appears to be rather flimsy. On looking at how to fix this I think it would be better if the cycle computer and lights could be connected through some connector arrangement thus allowing allowing removal for security reasons as well as making replacement parts easier to fit.

I have had the bike out for a quick test without the battery and the bike pedal action was good as were the brakes (compared favourably with my P4000). I noticed that the throttle control was there, this must have been fitted as standard by Kalkhoff since it is included in the certificate.

I am fairly busy with family life, so testing is rather limited at present.

Shame because the weather is glorious.

-more later.

C

Cyclezee

My First Impressions

Mine arrived from 50cycles yesterday by TNT, box and bike intact:)
I unpacked it last night, fitted pedals, aligned the handlebars and adjusted the seat hight. The battery showed 5 lights, but I put it on to charge until all the lights went out. The only extra I have added is a Cateye 300g mirror.

This morning, beautiful weather, I went out for my first run, full power all the way as I want to drain the battery as part of the conditioning routine. The none suspension SR Look-in athletic saddle is surprisingly comfortable, I had expected a harsher ride. The front suspension is excellent and has the option of 'lock out' via levers on the handlebars. The frame is light, very stiff and in my opion, would be uncomfortable without any suspension.

Everthing about the bike speaks quality with first rate components as you would expect. Magura Hydraulic brakes, Shimano Deore XT gears, Busch & Muller lights powered by the battery, Ergon handlebar grips etc.etc.
Several components are Concept brand, cranks, handlebars, stem and seat post, which seem good quality.

A few of the components are slightly different from the original spec. These are Magura HS11 brakes, not HS33s. The 'shorty' chainguard is plain silver rather than black. The front light is the latest BM LUMOTEC IQ Cyo R, not LUMOTEC IQ Fly. Personally, I don't have problem with these, apart from the chainguard would have looked better in black.

Mine came with a Sigma computer which can be backlit and also lit by a couple of leds in the holder when the lighting is switched on. It also has the optional hand throttle.

The ride was great until around 20 miles, gear changing went from being precise and accurate to quite erratic, I have since rectified this with a bit of cable adjustment.

24 miles was the killer distance, a loud hiss from the rear tyre and rapid deflation within a few seconds. After a couple of expleatives, I got of and pushed the bike as I was only half a mile from home at this stage. I removed the Continental Top Contact and found a large thorn had gone right through the centre of the tread. I had expected these tyres to be as good as Schwalbe M+, either they are not or I have been very unlucky:( I understand these tyres have a 1 year guarantee against punctures, so I should be able to get a replacement. Not sure about Top Contacts though after this episode. My other bikes are fitted with M+'s, but I am not going to tempt fate by saying anything about them.

For the time being, I have fitted a spare used City Ride I lying around and replaced the Woods Dunlop valved Continental tube with a Schwalbe Schrader valve type.

Apart from this incident, I am very pleased with my new aquisition and will venture out agin later today when the battery has recharged;)

J:) hn

Last edited by a moderator:

Danny-K

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 25, 2008
South West
. . . 24 miles was the killer distance, a loud hiss from the rear tyre and rapid deflation within a few seconds. After a couple of expleatives, I got of and pushed the bike as I was only half a mile from home at this stage. I removed the Continental Top Contact and found a large thorn had gone right through the centre of the tread. I had expected these tyres to be as good as Schwalbe M+, either they are not or I have been very unlucky:( I understand these tyres have a 1 year guarantee against punctures, so I should be able to get a replacement. Not sure about Top Contacts though after this episode. . .
Congrats to both of you - no finer feeling than a brand new bike to be ridden on a beautiful sunny day - doesn't get better than that does it?

- But oh, John! (Aldby), bad luck on the puncture mate - that would bring tears to my eyes that would (if no one was looking) - a brand new bike!!! Bet you swore and swore like a trooper.

In my opinion your puncture comes under the category of:
I have been very unlucky, that's all.

No pneumatic bicycle tyre anywhere in the world that I am aware of is 100% puncture proof
- puncture resistant; yes. Puncture proof; no.

- Or at least if there is, I doubt it would return the same ride we are accustomed too.

If the tyre manufacturer is foolish enough to offer a guarantee against punctures then you are honour bound to disabuse him of that 'arrogance', and take him up on his replacement/money back offer.

What a bummer though - a puncture on your very first outing on a brand new bike. You can only be philosophical about it - what's that line from Forrest Gump? Oh yeah -
Sometimes "s##t happens".

Last edited:
C

Cyclezee

- But oh, John! (Aldby), bad luck on the puncture mate - that would bring tears to my eyes that would (if no one was looking) - a brand new bike!!! Bet you swore and swore like a trooper.

In my opinion your puncture comes under the category of:
I have been very unlucky, that's all.

No pneumatic bicycle tyre anywhere in the world that I am aware of is 100% puncture proof
- puncture resistant; yes. Puncture proof; no.

- Or at least if there is, I doubt it would return the same ride we are accustomed too.

If the tyre manufacturer is foolish enough to offer a guarantee against punctures then you are honour bound to disabuse him of that 'arrogance', and take him up on his replacement/money back offer.

What a bummer though - a puncture on your very first outing on a brand new bike. You can only be philosophical about it - what's that line from Forrest Gump? Oh yeah -
Sometimes "s##t happens".
Danny,
Actually, I didn't swear much, it saw more of Victor Meldrew moment, "I don't bloody well believe it". 24 miles for a new tyre must take some beating.
I appreciate no tyre is puncture proof and only resistant to punctures and a dry thorn is like a needle, however I did expect better from the Continentals Continental Cycle Tyres UK

J:rolleyes: hn

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Let us have a full review on your Pro Connect S when you've gained some riding time on it John. That would be particularly interesting given your wide experience of a number of different electric bike models.

C

Cyclezee

Will do Flecc, but I am going to give it at least a month. By that time I should know it better and have got over the inital euphoria of owning a new bike and can give a more balanced report.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Will do Flecc, but I am going to give it at least a month. By that time I should know it better and have got over the inital euphoria of owning a new bike and can give a more balanced report.

Thanks John, I fully agree. It takes a while to really get to know an e-bike, especially one so far outside of the usual pedelec mould.

Dynamic Position

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2009
Sorry to read about your puncture Aldby, but it is good to have another Proconnect S owner to discuss issues. I think I shall keep the tyres and tubes from my P4000 just in case!

I have only done approx. 7miles of tests which has given me a good impression of the bike. I thought the gear changes could have been better than I experienced, but I put it down to my inexperience of this system.
Earlier tonight I gave the electrics a fair test. I bridged the broken cycle computer lamp holder with PVC tape, seemed to be okay, the lights work and the holder sits steady in place.

I took the bike out on the same route as I did without power. I certainly noticed the difference and was pleased that the electric motor was very quiet in operation. I took the bike over a rough lane and the suspension was good in its default out of the box setting (I decided to leave experimenting with the suspension until another ride).

On a flat tarmac strech I put the bike through some speed tests. Flecc was right with the throttle control. The maximum speed achieved using the throttle was 12.5mph so it conforms to the supplied certificate.
Next I tried for the top speed. On the flat with perfect calm weather the maximum speed I could achieve on full assist was 22mph and that was me trying (without assist my speed was 17mph), so the bike falls short of the 26mph which I expected but the bike appeared comfortable to ride up to 20mph.

The last test I completed was on a fairly steep hill which I only ever tackled about 1% of the time on my Raleigh P4000 because off the difficulty it gave me. The E-bike was excellent in the lowest gear and high power setting:cool:

So far I am happy with the electric assistance that this bike provides.

Hopefully Pedelec Forum readers will find these initial results useful in their own search for an an e-bike?

Tim, thank you I have now received email regarding 50-Cycles/Kalkhoff forum.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
On the flat with perfect calm weather the maximum speed I could achieve on full assist was 22mph and that was me trying (without assist my speed was 17mph), so the bike falls short of the 26mph which I expected but the bike appeared comfortable to ride up to 20mph.
I think this could improve once the battery is conditioned with two full charge with full discharge cycles, and then improve further once the bike is run in with a few miles "on the clock". This system still has a degree of power phase down as it approaches maximum, similar to the standard system, so any resistance through newness will affect the final speed attained.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Danny,
Actually, I didn't swear much, it saw more of Victor Meldrew moment, "I don't bloody well believe it". 24 miles for a new tyre must take some beating.
I appreciate no tyre is puncture proof and only resistant to punctures and a dry thorn is like a needle, however I did expect better from the Continentals Continental Cycle Tyres UK

J:rolleyes: hn
Kevlar guards (like your Continentals have) aren't the best protection and I've found it doesn't vary a lot between brands, the only better protection is the Marathon plus style which have the extra foam lining. I use the kevlar ones and usually expect a puncture every 200 miles or so, a repair takes 5 minutes at the roadside and I carry a good pump so I can live with them quite easily.
Punctures are normal, there are worse things that go wrong with tyres, I've had two tyres where the bead split from the sidewall within a fortnight.

Intex

Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2008
John,
I thought that the ProConnectS was not available in the UK. I must have been mistaken. Mine is over the water right now, on its way to the west coast (US).

I will post as soon as I have a chance to use it. Keep up the info on the bike, and help will be appreciated. I would like to hear what your opinions are of the seat comfort- that was one of my main concerns.
Also I never knew that a computer was included.
What are your thoughts on the optional throttle. I was wondering if the extra cables for it, since not routed thru the tube, might look obtrusive.
Thanks

C

Cyclezee

John,
I thought that the ProConnectS was not available in the UK. I must have been mistaken. Mine is over the water right now, on its way to the west coast (US).

I will post as soon as I have a chance to use it. Keep up the info on the bike, and help will be appreciated. I would like to hear what your opinions are of the seat comfort- that was one of my main concerns.
Also I never knew that a computer was included.
What are your thoughts on the optional throttle. I was wondering if the extra cables for it, since not routed thru the tube, might look obtrusive.
Thanks
Intex,

With regard to the saddle, I found it reasonably comfortable, better than I expected, but I appreciate it might not suit everyone.
I haven't used the throttle, so I can't comment on that, but I can imagine it would be useful if you had to push a heavily laden bike up a steep incline.
There is a lot of controls etc. on the handlebars and consequently a lot of cables, so they are not as neat and minimalist as on the Agattu for example.