Kalkhoff Endeavour Move B9

Crossroads

Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2017
I nearly bought a Kalkhoff Agatu about eight years ago but reported problems with the Impulse motor put me off and I bought my Brompton instead, which has been great, but eight years on - the hills are not getting any smaller and this is restricting my range, as I am surrounded by rolling hills.

So, I'm a leisure rider looking for a bike that can take some punishment on a very bumpy canal towpath which is my main feeder route into my back lane rural rides.

This looks good to me - https://takechargebikes.co.uk/product/kalkhoff-endeavour-move-b9/

Any thoughts on Kalkhoff, putting aside the Impulse motor issue ?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
They are very well made bikes, good looking welding. The Bosch powered ones are the correct ones to buy.

You will probably want to add an NCX seat-post.
Check to see if 55 mm tyres fit, you might want to upgrade in the future. Plastic mudguards might not last as long as SKS Blumels on your canal path

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The Kalkhoff bikes are a good bet, always well put together, but as you already know, avoid the Impulse motor and later derivatives of it such as the Evo.

Your Move B9 looks a very good choice, my only reservation is the integrated battery, since that can make you a captive market for a replacement when the time comes. And that's if they are still available then of course.

Crossroads

Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2017
Thanks another kiwi and fleck for your comments. I might consider a suspension post or a saddle with springs, I know the Brooks B66 works well on the canal. Flecc - I hadn't got to thinking about a replacement battery but you make a good point.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Thanks another kiwi and fleck for your comments. I might consider a suspension post or a saddle with springs, I know the Brooks B66 works well on the canal. Flecc - I hadn't got to thinking about a replacement battery but you make a good point.
The battery is a Bosch Powertube.

It is removable and replaceable - at a cost - same as any other Bosch battery.

The shape is designed to allow the bike to have a more integrated look.

https://www.bosch-ebike.com/us/news/powertube-500/

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

Crossroads

Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2017
RobF, Thanks - It's new this year so should be replaceable in 3/4 years time, I would have thought. I'm not settled on this bike anyway, it's on the list, though.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
RobF, Thanks - It's new this year so should be replaceable in 3/4 years time, I would have thought. I'm not settled on this bike anyway, it's on the list, though.
Bosch undertake to provide new spares for seven years after they stop - not start - selling the component.

Bosch batteries tend to last fairly well, not least because the controller doesn't thrash the cells with high current draw.

My oldest is now six or seven years, no discernible loss of capacity although it's bound to happen sometime.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
They will be making the powertube for years to come.

The Alivio 9spd is quality derailleur and all the gear range your liking to need, especially with performance motor. The other big plus is Shimano 9spd drivetrains parts are cheap.

Crossroads

Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2017
Thanks, RobF and Trevormonty and all. I read that the battery has a high density, so it all looks good but rather expensive - but I'm looking at the long term and a sizeable investment up front for something that is very good and should last a decent life, seems the way to go.