Kalkhoff Error Codes

sduncan82

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 27, 2015
I bough a Pro Connect Impulse 9 from the guys at 50 cycles about 2 months ago and have had no issues with the bike but this afternoon when I was getting ready to head back from work the bike all of a sudden just turned itself off, the battery had 3/4 charge left so it wasn't the battery dying.

I just turned it on and then the screen flashed but then would not turn back on so I had a slow trek back home. When I got home I plugged in the charger and the bike came back to life, has this happened to anyone else?

Now when I turn the bike off it says the message 'bye' as it usually does but then I notice very quickly an error code or something that reads a bit like 'C005' I don't think it did this before as I would have noticed it so just wondering if anyone knows what this means?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Phone 50C and ask them.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Earlier Kalkhoffs with the Panasonic units did have error codes which were detailed in their manuals, but an online link to those is now dead. Later manuals for the Bosch and Impulse powered bikes don't have anything about error codes in them.

As Neal says, best contact 50cycles about this for more information.

Biscitt

Pedelecer
Oct 7, 2015
Did anyone find out about this code? I have a similar problem on a Tasman. The display shows Pedal when switched on even though there is plenty of charge left in the battery and when switching off the C005 error code shows.

sduncan82

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 27, 2015
the feedback I got from 50 cycles was that C005 was just the software version and was nothing to worry about.

I also got the pedal message in a separate issue. 50c advised that if you are moving when you start up the bike then it may say that message. In my situation I was not moving and they said that it was then something to do with the back pedal sensor which my bike did not have and the only way to resolve was to replace the motor. They sent me a new motor but did have to pay my local bike shop to fit it for me.

Biscitt

Pedelecer
Oct 7, 2015
I have had a response from 50Cycles. They say it is a software issue related to the back pedal braking function that does not exist on the bike. I have to take it into a shop for testing and if it cannot be sorted a replacement motor was mentioned as the next option.

Seems rather odd that UK bikes that do not have this back pedal brake function have software/electronics that expect it.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Seems rather odd that UK bikes that do not have this back pedal brake function have software/electronics that expect it.
The back-pedal brake was designed into the original model since they are popular on the Continent.

But they are very unpopular in the UK so 50cycles asked for it's removal on our models. Removing it's mechanical function has left the intrinsic software element in place of course, basically its just a tweak. Given how small the UK market is compared to their huge Continental market, I doubt it was thought worthwhile producing a new software set just for us.

Biscitt

Pedelecer
Oct 7, 2015
Well took both our bikes back to Blazing Saddles in Hebden Bridge to have faults checked out. The Tasman with the Pedal error and my clanking Agattu and both are having new motors. Not what I expected from what I had read was a quality make. Very disappointed.

Biscitt

Pedelecer
Oct 7, 2015
Update: New motor in the Tasman seems to have sorted the Pedal error but not the clanking Agattu. The rear wheel from that has gone back to Shimano distributors I believe for testing and hopefully fix.

Advertisers