Kalkhoff Impulse 2.0 - any good reviews?

git-r

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2015
I've been considering buying one of these but every 'real' review I've seen has reported serious mechanical failure.

Has anyone completed any decent mileage without trouble?

I understand how forums work and that most only rewiew when they have problems but have been seriously put off by peoples' experiences here.

Thanks in advance :)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
put it this way if you dongle that motor they will drop you like a stone in the sea so if u really want 1 find the cost of a replacement motor first.

id not buy any bike less i could get a new motor for it.

Aftersales 50cycles UK

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 29, 2015
Dear Git,

Please see our response on the thread you mention.

I can assure you we offer the best service in the business and over 20000 customers on the roads now.

Here are just some of our most recent reviews of our premium models and many more for the other models.

http://www.50cycles.com/electric-bikes/activity-e-bikes/agattu_premium_8g.html#custreview

Please note we do not usually respond on forums to any issue as we have our own after-sales process via our mainline 03339005050, Live Chat or the form on our website which creates a case number and is follow through until case closed. So far without fail.

Please note we are not open until 4th January 2016.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Aftersales Kalkhoff

Last edited:

oriteroom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2008
As a long term user of Kalkhoff bikes, since 2008' and a combined mileage/reliabilty experience of the older Panasonic motor models of 32,000 ( thousand miles) they have proved practically faultless. Over that time, i have endlessly been an ambassador for the bikes and recommeded them to every head we turn when out on trips, we always seem to attract attention when 'parked' up.

HOWEVER, I have to say I have been completely UNDERWELHMED and CONCERNED about the long term oerformance we can expect by the new Tasman Impulse 2 we bought as a replacement. Too many concerns re reliability of motor (internal gears/clunking) and battery. Cycling along listening out for early signs of clunking does not make for relaxed cycling. My wife, for whom it was purchased, still prefers her old Panasonic Kalkhoff ProConnect, vintage 2008 and 12,000 miles on the click, and i cannot get her off it. Hence the new Tasman has only done a meagre 400 miles. I am very concious that the warranty time click is ticking, so trying to use it more to unearth any incipIent problems. In fact, it is the ONLY reason we go out on it, not fir the ride exoerience.

Would I buy am Impulse 2 motored replacement for my bikes Panasonic ProConnect and ProConnect S .
A CATEGORIC NO.

I would wait to see if the 2016 later generation Impulse (evo) motor is better, and does not generate reports of problems. Problem is, why keep tinkering with the motor if there isn't a inherent problem? Unless it development for development's sake in the search for even more torque, which most users don't want or need. Reliability is the key, which the Panasonic motors have been shown to have in SPADES.

Do I rue buying a the Tasman as a replacement YES

GOOD LUCK in making your choice

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Dear Git,

I can assure you we offer the best service in the business and over 20000 customers on the roads now.

Here are just some of our most recent reviews of our premium models and many more for the other models.

http://www.50cycles.com/electric-bikes/activity-e-bikes/agattu_premium_8g.html#custreview

Please note we do not usually respond on forums to any issue as we have our own after-sales process via our mainline 03339005050, Live Chat or the form on our website which creates a case number and is follow through until case closed. So far without fail.

Aftersales Kalkhoff

Is this 50 Cycles? They post under so many different names these days.

Will the real 50 Cycles take one step forward?

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
Reactions: git-r

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
Is this 50 Cycles? They post under so many different names these days.

Will the real 50 Cycles take one step forward?
Dear Git eh? They could have used his handle which is git-r. Are they having a laugh? I think we should be told….

I’ve never seen a forum on their website. Some sites like the crap broadband I was with a couple of years ago have a customer forum where you can see the problems as they arise and are dealt with. But I’ve seen nothing like that on the 50 Cycles site open for anyone to view. A closed chat between the customer and the dealer isn’t the same at all.

So maybe they should respond on forums like this as other dealers do. What do they have to hide? Or are they just too grand?

git-r

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2015
Dear Git,

Aftersales Kalkhoff

Thanks for your reply - I replied on the other thread..

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
there is no forum for this motor on the German 1 wonder why lol

and the post that are there are of broken motors :eek:

git-r

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2015
there is no forum for this motor on the German 1 wonder why lol

and the post that are there are of broken motors :eek:

Thanks for this. Hopefully 50 cycles will investigate this and take this further with Kalkhoff..

Im still very much a potential customer as they seem to offer the biggest battery, nice ride, great software and good components. I just wish there wasn't this big question mark over the reliability of their motors!

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
how much is the new impulse motor to buy cos 50c dont sell them.

i can get a new bosch motor but only if i send mine back first.

can just buy a new Yamaha motor if i wanted and can keep the old 1 for bits.

git-r

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2015
Yeah the Bosch and Yamaha system seems good but don't match the Kalkhoff for torque or battery... Even the new bosh battery and motor still don't (on paper at least) better the impulse evo which is already a few months old.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Im still very much a potential customer as they seem to offer the biggest battery, nice ride, great software and good components. I just wish there wasn't this big question mark over the reliability of their motors!
The bikes as a whole are very good. I've ridden a 2015 Pro Connect and it's nice and up to the usual Kalkhoff build standards.

Unfortunately, the bike I rode has had one motor fail and the second is well on the way to failing. From what I understand it's the freewheel mechanism between motor and chainwheel which is the weak link. It doesn't seem able to transmit the power. These failures have happened in sufficient numbers for Kalkhoff to be aware, so I'm sure they have or will address the issue in future motor versions.

git-r

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2015
Thanks a lot for the replies. According to one forum member I'll need to stop running around like a headless chicken, grow up, buy one and ignore these issues ;):D:D (maybe he's a cock looking out for his chickens?)

Appreciate all the advice

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

git-r

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2015
That's really smart but too attractive to thieves!

I like the newer 500 w battery versions though...